4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

97 Windows Locks Seat Electrical Issues...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 08:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

97 Windows Locks Seat Electrical Issues...

I've been a LONG time lurker on the board and haven't been able to find the answer to my current issue so I'm now a poster. My son has a 97 Maxima GLE that was in a flash flood. It wasn't running at the time and after weeks of drying out, it runs fine, all fluids are fine and most things work. The last puzzle is the power locks, power windows and power drivers seat do not work but the sunroof does work. We've tested the regulators and switch in the drivers door and exchanged parts from a working car, all fine. The relays under the hood and the fuses all appear ok. I've heard mention of circuit breakers and possibly the BCM but that usually includes failure with the sunroof. Anyone have any ideas or been through a similar experience? I know, flooded car...bad news - but its a teens first car and since the major parts are working fine, replacing a part or two to keep it going would be great!

Second note, Since we bought the the car - the ding noise for the headlights being on has not worked. What fuse or relay or part controls this? He has a nasty habit of leaving those on....

Any help is much appreciated - you've all helped more than you know in my searches on the forum as we've basically dismantled this car after the flood!
Old 10-31-2012, 10:19 AM

The power seats run off of Circuit Breaker #1. Door locks, windows, sunroof run off of Circuit Breaker #2. Both circuit breakers get power from fuse F under the hood labeled Power Window.

Since the sunroof works, we can say that fuse F is good and circuit breaker 2 is good.

How far was the car submerged in the water? I'm wondering about corroded contacts in wire harness connectors. There are a lot of connectors in the driver's footwell area.

The body control module could be responsible for the windows in the doors and the door locks, but has nothing to do with the seats and sunroof. The BCM is mounted on top of top of the so-called transmission hump, sort of under the radio.

I don't know of any one point to look at. There may be, but I don't know. Nissan doesn't provide the actual wiring diagram, only logical wiring diagrams. They do show connectors in the circuits, but you would have to look at all the different diagrams and see what, if any, are in common.

The chime unit for leaving headlights on or keys in the ignition is attached to the back side of the lower dash panel next to the fuse block. If you take the plastic panel off, you will be able to change it.

Last edited by DennisMik; 10-31-2012 at 10:24 AM. Reason: add photo
Old 11-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks

Thats helpful!! The car was under water pretty bad. I'm attempting to attach a picture. We ran a dehumidifier and fans in it for weeks, replaced the ECU and the stereo system but those were the only things inside the car that immediately failed. I can almost remember the doors and windows working just after it was started and then later failed, but I could be wrong. I'm going to try the circuit breakers but can you give me an idea where they are? According to the manual, they appear to be in the door at the point where it joins the body of the car when it is closed but we can't see them in that area.

Very much appreciate the help!
Attached Thumbnails 97 Windows Locks Seat Electrical Issues...-photo-5.jpg  
Old 11-01-2012, 02:46 PM

The circuit breakers are under the dash, in the very uppermost front left corner, all the way up right under the VIN number plate. Looking at your photo, they were not submerged. Since the sunroof works, circuit breaker # 2 is ok.

Personally, I think that you would be wasting your time replacing them. I would take the dashboard out to give yourself more room to work in and start opening up all the wire harness connectors and cleaning them. There is a big connector on the back of the fuse panel called the SMJ, Super Multiple Junction. This is the connection for the wires coming from under the hood into the car. There are some connectors behind the kick panel that are for the master power window and door lock switch. There is a plastic channel running along the floor next to the rocker panel that has the wire harnesses for under the seats and going into the trunk. Connections all over the place.

If you look at the wiring harness layout in the Nissan service manual, section EL starting at page 311, you'll see what I mean about connections all over the place.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:53 PM

The power seat circuit is pretty simple. I would try to get that working first. Although unlikely you may solve the cause of your other problems at the same time.

Do you have 12VDC at the yellow with black stripe wire that runs to the power seat switches? If not fuse "f" 30 Amp or CB1 is not working. Fuse "f" is probably OK because your sunroof would not work if it was blown.

If 12VDC is present at the Yellow/Blk wire then the seat problem is caused by the switches, motors or the seat wiring.

How high did the water get? Enough to soak the seat and power window circuits/motors but not to get at the sunroof?

Last edited by Nopike; 11-02-2012 at 02:23 PM.