4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cracking sound from the right, and clicking noises! (infiniti i30 limited stock)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cracking sound from the right, and clicking noises! (infiniti i30 limited stock)

I have a 1999 infiniti i30 "STOCK" (same as 1999 maxima) with 247263 Miles(Its old lol).

There are two problems:

1) I hear cracking noises when I just start to accelerate and while/after braking when I hit 0'mph. You can here with from the front right passenger side.
-Browsing the forums I here its either the struts or bearings.

2) Clicking noise when turning slow, and going straight slow
-I had this diagnosed by AAA, they said it was my Power Steering
rack.

Did anyone have the same problems? If you did , can you please tell me how you resolved any of these problems! Thanks!

-Babzima
Old 11-10-2012, 11:34 AM

easiest thing to check first would be take a flashlight and check your axle boots, im gonna take a guess and say one of them is torn open and causing the clicking
Old 11-10-2012, 12:15 PM

This. Steering rack wont make noise in a straight line, CV joint can.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Edit: Just checked My Axle boots. At least when I checked them there were no rips or unconnected.. They are both looked perfectly fine. You think it might be my CV Joints? and do you know anything about problem 1?

Last edited by Babzima; 11-10-2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: added detail
Old 11-10-2012, 01:36 PM

when struts go, you'll feel it on bumps. they leak oil, when its cold, they'll be fine because the oil is thick. but after they warm up and the oil thins, you'll feel bad struts. if your struts are bad, you wont feel it when you accelerate unless the springs are really worn or broken, then the car might squat when you accelerate hard. wheel bearings make a constant noise, but only when youre going fast. so i doubt its a wheel bearing

i personally thing both problems are related to a bad axle on the right side. if your power steering rack is bad but not leaking fluid, you will probably find that after you make a turn, the steering wheel wont automatically return to the middle position. almost always, thats related to smashing into a curb or the like

cracking might be a bad brake caliper bushing or something just rubbing, but im still thinking its just a bad axle causing everything personally. i could say for sure what it is if i could see it in person
Old 11-10-2012, 02:55 PM

the cracking u might be hearing could be a wheel bearing maybe..2nd could be a brake shoe that has moved on u tiny bit or even a rock stuck in there some where 3. could be the brake brakets moving when pressing the brake...check ur breaks out pull the wheel off and see if u have any move in the wheel b4 u take of the wheel move it up and down and side 2 side see if theres any play and check your bushings on lower control arm mine where bad and gave me play in it and sounded like it was cracking where it was slaping metal to metal the brace was but it could many different things just figured to give a lil of my suggestions but in person i probley tell u n about 2 mins what it is and can u feel it when it happens
Old 11-11-2012, 09:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks I will check my Brake Calipers, Struts, Wheel bearings, and my control arm on the right side where all the problems are! I will let you know what I find!