4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.
View Poll Results: What would you rather have compared?
Stock MAF/ Z32 MAF / 3.5" MAF on a VQ30
42.86%
Working VIAS vs VIAS delete on an 00vi
57.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Dynoing soon - what would you like compared?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 03:12 PM

Dynoing soon - what would you like compared?

Dyno results are in, you can stop voting now

I'm planning on getting 2hours of dyno time in the next month or so. I originally wanted to do some tuning then I figured I might as well compare a mod or two while I'm on there which brings me to my question.

What would you rather have a dyno comparison of:
Stock MAF/Z32 MAF/ 3.5" MAF on a VQ30 or
Working vias vs vias delete on 00vi?

Ideally I'd like to compare both at 3 runs each, but I have met Murphy and his law many times before. So whichever you guys choose, I will dyno first to be sure it gets done.

I'm not opposed to any other ideas you guys have as long as its easy to swap out on the dyno.

I tried adding a poll to this, let see if it shows up.

Last edited by schmellyfart; 12-04-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:42 PM

I would like to see grandmas oxygen bottle at 10 liters per minute into the intake manifold.Its been hashed over for many years, but Ive never seen a dyno comparison.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:10 PM

I really would like to see a short ram vs. a cold air
Old 11-14-2012, 08:22 PM

I still want to see the stock air box up against a SR set-up of any kind. With an aftermarket panel filter I think the stock would win. Perhaps in a few months I can do it myself but again it would be better on a stock engine
Old 11-14-2012, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by maxed_out_99
I really would like to see a short ram vs. a cold air
Unfortunately I don't have either of those.
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
I still want to see the stock air box up against a SR set-up of any kind. With an aftermarket panel filter I think the stock would win. Perhaps in a few months I can do it myself but again it would be better on a stock engine
I have the stock 5th gen intake I ran a couple years ago, however I sold the K&N Panel filter and only have a paper filter. I can compare that to my length tuned intake if you want.
I think that the stock intake would do better with everything else stock. But with my 3" exhaust, that sucker was holding me back.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:40 PM

When I dynoed my car I ran first with the stock intake and a K&N drop in. I ran around 166 horse and 178 torque. Figuratively speaking.

After the short ram was installed I ran 167horse and 180 torque.

I have the dyno sheet in my profile garage. I can dig it up but you can't really see the numbers

Last edited by maxed_out_99; 11-15-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:51 PM

I am leaning towards the 00v1, so vias delete vs working vias would be a wonderful idea
Old 11-15-2012, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Shift_A32B
I am leaning towards the 00v1, so vias delete vs working vias would be a wonderful idea
I agree
Old 11-17-2012, 06:48 PM

Looks like I'd better get started reinstalling my vias.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Shift_A32B
Originally Posted by maxed_out_99
I agree
Originally Posted by schmellyfart
Looks like I'd better get started reinstalling my vias.
I also vote for the Vias... Just make sure that it is internally working properly.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:08 AM

I'm pretty sure it is. If not, well, I'll find out on the dyno.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:17 AM

i dont remember if NWP has dynosheets on their spacer set, but id like to see what gains they provide on the vq30. though i know it wouldnt be possible for you to swap that in real quick in a 2 hour session. definitely interested in both things you posted tho, 00vi tests and maf tests.
i also want to see if the fenderwell CAI actually loses low end power like people claim. because mine definitely feels like the opposite.

p.s. i wanna see if my domo stickers add hp like it feels like they do. atleast 6 at the wheels. plus ive got two of them :P

Last edited by GGENIUS; 11-19-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:05 AM

Vias I think would be a better comparison
Old 11-19-2012, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
i dont remember if NWP has dynosheets on their spacer set, but id like to see what gains they provide on the vq30. though i know it wouldnt be possible for you to swap that in real quick in a 2 hour session. definitely interested in both things you posted tho, 00vi tests and maf tests.
i also want to see if the fenderwell CAI actually loses low end power like people claim. because mine definitely feels like the opposite.

p.s. i wanna see if my domo stickers add hp like it feels like they do. atleast 6 at the wheels. plus ive got two of them :P
They do http://nwpengineering.com/images/VQ3...acers-Dyno.gif, but if I test these, I'd spend more time installing them than actually dynoing in the 2 hours.

Fenderwell CAI compared to what, the stock intake?

You can send me one of the stickers and I'll slap it on for the dyno
Old 11-19-2012, 11:56 AM

The appointment is set for 9am December 1st.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:00 PM

same place we went to a few months ago?
Old 11-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

...But with my 3" exhaust, that sucker was holding me back.
So a 3" exhaust even helps NA? I did not know this.

You'll making videos of the run I gather? I'd like to hear your exhaust and all your other goodies in action.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Maximus92
same place we went to a few months ago?
Yup.
Originally Posted by dwapenyi
So a 3" exhaust even helps NA? I did not know this.

You'll making videos of the run I gather? I'd like to hear your exhaust and all your other goodies in action.
There's no hard evidence that a 3" makes more power over a 2.5" on a N/A VQ30. There are butt dyno results, but no numbers supporting it. I was just saying that given my exhaust (headers & 3" y pipe back) the stock intake wasn't enough for my setup.

If a couple locals come by I'll have them record a video or two. I'll be too busy focusing on swapping parts, logging with my EU, and making any tuning adjustments.

I have some videos of my car up on my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/schmellyfart
Old 11-19-2012, 04:06 PM

should get ahold of a PF TB paired with the Z32 MAF and see the differences you can make with your EU. Should see a few HP and it would make my decision to get a PF TB easier
Old 11-19-2012, 05:13 PM

They do http://nwpengineering.com/images/VQ3...acers-Dyno.gif, but if I test these, I'd spend more time installing them than actually dynoing in the 2 hours.

Fenderwell CAI compared to what, the stock intake?

You can send me one of the stickers and I'll slap it on for the dyno
yes fenderwell to stock. and thanks for the link, i only saw their claims on the vq35 on their site before. nice to know its not just placebo affect.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:57 PM

although i am looking into a z32 maf and tuning i'd rather check out the 00-i since its a $0 mod and i'm extended to 7200rpms. looking forward and dude thanks soo much for doing this dunno how you get the time with school... i go to school everyday and work 24hrs a week and it took me 2 weeks to get me to do a z32 fuel filter (today) lol.

i'm guessing the results will be more dramatic on your setup over mine since you got a larger intake, maf an tb but still very comparable. maybe my smaller intake setup w/ stock 4g tb won't lose as much low end over yours by removing it... who knows?!?!! there are so many factors lol yaay i'm excited
Old 11-19-2012, 07:04 PM

I wanted the intake one, but looks as though the VIAS, is going to be the winner.....might be hitting the Dyno about the same time....
Old 11-19-2012, 07:58 PM

velocity stack vs straight filter on the intake.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:55 PM

should get ahold of a PF TB paired with the Z32 MAF and see the differences you can make with your EU. Should see a few HP and it would make my decision to get a PF TB easier
I already have a half shafted pftb and port matched my 00vi to it. I noticed better throttle response and a little better acceleration on the butt dyno once it was portmatched. But a butt dyno is a butt dyno so take that as you will.

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
yes fenderwell to stock. and thanks for the link, i only saw their claims on the vq35 on their site before. nice to know its not just placebo affect.
Sorry, I won't be testing that for a few reasons. I don't have a fenderwell CAI, I don't want to cut a hole in my fender, and I don't think the stock intake will fit with my rotated battery.

Originally Posted by carsnwomen91
although i am looking into a z32 maf and tuning i'd rather check out the 00-i since its a $0 mod and i'm extended to 7200rpms. looking forward and dude thanks soo much for doing this dunno how you get the time with school... i go to school everyday and work 24hrs a week and it took me 2 weeks to get me to do a z32 fuel filter (today) lol.

i'm guessing the results will be more dramatic on your setup over mine since you got a larger intake, maf an tb but still very comparable. maybe my smaller intake setup w/ stock 4g tb won't lose as much low end over yours by removing it... who knows?!?!! there are so many factors lol yaay i'm excited
Let me clarify, I intend on testing the mafs and the vias, it was more a matter of which one does the community want to see, therefore will be tested first. It helps that I don't have class on Fridays, I can work whenever I want at one job, and the other job is only weekend nights. The rest is motivation...it took me over 6 months to replace a leaky (read: blown) shock

You bring up a good point, I'll have to think about the order of what I test.

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
I wanted the intake one, but looks as though the VIAS, is going to be the winner.....might be hitting the Dyno about the same time....
As I mentioned above, I fully intend on testing both.
Originally Posted by ZombieMax
velocity stack vs straight filter on the intake.
I can do that after everything else if theres time, ebay cone filter vs AEM Dryflow on a Blox velocity stack.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:17 PM

I already have a half shafted pftb and port matched my 00vi to it. I noticed better throttle response and a little better acceleration on the butt dyno once it was portmatched. But a butt dyno is a butt dyno so take that as you will.

Sorry, I won't be testing that for a few reasons. I don't have a fenderwell CAI, I don't want to cut a hole in my fender, and I don't think the stock intake will fit with my rotated battery.

Let me clarify, I intend on testing the mafs and the vias, it was more a matter of which one does the community want to see, therefore will be tested first. It helps that I don't have class on Fridays, I can work whenever I want at one job, and the other job is only weekend nights. The rest is motivation...it took me over 6 months to replace a leaky (read: blown) shock

You bring up a good point, I'll have to think about the order of what I test.

As I mentioned above, I fully intend on testing both.

I can do that after everything else if theres time, ebay cone filter vs AEM Dryflow on a Blox velocity stack.
Damn you going to be doing alot of Runs....
Old 11-19-2012, 09:33 PM

schmelly thats awesome!!! i look forward to both !

yep. thought of you over the passed few days no homo lol... my USIM has been sitting behind the max for ages but i took a look at it and thought about cutting it up to make a cool custom IM like yours (but for the vq30de of course). took some pics and gonna edit them in paint lol but the idea is cut the long part of the runners and make a box with more volume. i'll start a thread on this this weekend
Old 11-19-2012, 10:46 PM

I sure am. I may do a pull with stock maf and no tune just for kicks and giggles.
Originally Posted by carsnwomen91
schmelly thats awesome!!! i look forward to both !

yep. thought of you over the passed few days no homo lol... my USIM has been sitting behind the max for ages but i took a look at it and thought about cutting it up to make a cool custom IM like yours (but for the vq30de of course). took some pics and gonna edit them in paint lol but the idea is cut the long part of the runners and make a box with more volume. i'll start a thread on this this weekend
You must be thinking of Sparks03max.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:38 AM

I sure am. I may do a pull with stock maf and no tune just for kicks and giggles.

You must be thinking of Sparks03max.
LOL ya they got 03 in their names oops
Old 11-20-2012, 09:00 AM

A even better test will be testing all the headers with Y pipe that are most common or available for our 4'th gen hooked up with a 00vi and without. To see how the powerband looks like in different setups.
That would be sick but I do not think you can do that in 2 hours.
Testing the 00vi setups is pretty cool also.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by catalinvint
A even better test will be testing all the headers with Y pipe that are most common or available for our 4'th gen hooked up with a 00vi and without. To see how the powerband looks like in different setups.
ur gettin greedy lol. we already have a header comparison from nycmaxima, just not on the dyno... plus it takes about 5-8hrs to install headers lol.

the power band sucks with a USIM, it power starts dipping at 5.5krpm. exhaust mods will just broaden the power band. here's a graph with a y and short ram
http://www.boostaholic.com/maxima/dyno/index.html

00vi or mevi if you want power to climb to redline
Old 11-20-2012, 10:58 AM

I think the velocity stack is an easy one to do as well but the HP increases or decrease will be minimal if at all. I think the main point of the velocity stack and the honeycomb things is to ensure the MAF sees consistent airflow and therefore doesnt have to adjust as much. Could be terribly wrong though
Old 11-20-2012, 10:59 AM

In my opinion you can do both things there. I voted for 00VI because I want a dyno statement on which setup is best
IMO you can try both 00vi setups with the different Maf's if you are quick on the a/f tuning
Old 11-20-2012, 12:05 PM

Im going to be the odd ball

110 octane with some more timing advance.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:49 PM

All the headers? That would take a HUGE time and monetary commitment.

In my opinion you can do both things there. I voted for 00VI because I want a dyno statement on which setup is best
IMO you can try both 00vi setups with the different Maf's if you are quick on the a/f tuning
I was thinking about that. It all depends on how much of a difference there is between the MAFs. If there's not a huge difference, then I'm not going to waste the gas. a/f tuning wont be a problem, there was very little change in timing and afr when I was swapping mafs at the track a few weeks ago.
Originally Posted by Product_Of_Korea

I can mess with timing advance but 110 octane is out of the question for me.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:57 PM

I can mess with timing advance but 110 octane is out of the question for me.
you may see someone tinkering with a idea like this in the near future.

have to fix my clutch,support and get a new wideband
Old 11-20-2012, 01:07 PM

110 octane would just be a waste of money unless the compression of your engine is different. There would be no benefit and likely you would lose HP as your engine could not burn all of it efficiently enough
Old 11-20-2012, 02:46 PM

110 octane would just be a waste of money unless the compression of your engine is different. There would be no benefit and likely you would lose HP as your engine could not burn all of it efficiently enough
You're an idiot. More timing will increase power, 110 Octane would allow it without preignition (knock).

Originally Posted by Product_Of_Korea

Old 11-20-2012, 02:53 PM

Did not read....assuming you can advance timing more than 2 degrees but 110 octane is still very high and you would have to advance timing quite a bit to take advantage of the headroom afforded by 110
Old 11-20-2012, 04:44 PM

Did not read....assuming you can advance timing more than 2 degrees but 110 octane is still very high and you would have to advance timing quite a bit to take advantage of the headroom afforded by 110
Agreed.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by asand1
More timing will increase power, 110 Octane would allow it without preignition (knock).
^^This......

I personally have gone pretty far up there when it comes to advance timing with 100+ and makes a noticeable difference. I just want to dyno to see how much and where i would stop making power from advancing ect ect. But it all comes down to the $$$.

Quick Reply: Dynoing soon - what would you like compared?