4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Best battery for our cars? In the cold and CCA?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 10:44 AM

Best battery for our cars? In the cold and CCA?

I been tempted on getting a Sears DieHard plat batt, they are pretty expensive but have a 4 year free replacement warranty and up to 750CCA. So that is pretty nice. It gets real cold here in NE and I legit have had the same Energizer battery for 7 years.

Its probably 8 years old too lol, anyway. It is registering with 90cca so its close to dead and it was 2 degrees yesterday with a windchill of -11. Car was barely turning over yesterday but she started, cause my maxima is awesome and its always started for me.

Anyway. What are some other good brands? I really don't want to spend over $100 to 130 but if I have too, I guess I will. I grew up always hearing Diehard's were the best and its an AGM battery for the Plats, so I might just bite the bullet and save up for that but its gonna be a little bit :/
Old 01-25-2013, 11:04 AM

7 year battery?!
Wow.
I recommend a Optima red top for you.
I have a yellow top because I am running some extra accessories.
It is a complete tank!
Advance auto has online specials sometimes where you buy something at a 10-15% discount, then they send you a code a few weeks later for $50 off a $100 or more.
I did that and got myself in the dry cell game.
Cost around $150 after the code, but the red tops are a little cheaper.
Just my opinion.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:24 AM
KH3 by popular demand

I went through batteries quite a bit also so last time I bought one with the highest cold cranking amperage I could afford. I'm not limited to the battery tray because mine is relocated but I haven't really had any problems with it and it is a Duralast. Dry cells are a good idea at times but they don't last as long.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
7 year battery?!
Wow.
I recommend a Optima red top for you.
I have a yellow top because I am running some extra accessories.
It is a complete tank!
Advance auto has online specials sometimes where you buy something at a 10-15% discount, then they send you a code a few weeks later for $50 off a $100 or more.
I did that and got myself in the dry cell game.
Cost around $150 after the code, but the red tops are a little cheaper.
Just my opinion.
thanks for the reply but LOL. I wouldn't touch Optima. Over rated, over priced batteries that other batteries are are much cheaper out preform. Optima also won't deep cylce as good as a diehard plat... Although. I do run a high end audio system. I already have 2 batteries in the back but of course the car doesn't Draw off those for the crank but I would think if the front battery is completely dead it should draw a little off those because they are all wired in Parallel.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by S1cTech

thanks for the reply but LOL. I wouldn't touch Optima. Over rated, over priced batteries that other batteries are are much cheaper out preform. Optima also won't deep cylce as good as a diehard plat... Although. I do run a high end audio system. I already have 2 batteries in the back but of course the car doesn't Draw off those for the crank but I would think if the front battery is completely dead it should draw a little off those because they are all wired in Parallel.
I'm sold on them.
They have my business until I have a problem.
So far, complete tank.
If your wired in parallel, have you checked your other batteries?
Old 01-25-2013, 11:57 AM

thanks for the reply but LOL. I wouldn't touch Optima. Over rated...
I agree - don't believe the hype on the Optimas. They used to be good, but anything made in the last 5 years or so (especially red tops) have been lousy. I had been using them in my Jeep (no winch, stereo or anything) and I replaced 3 batteries in 4 years (2 reds - 1 year each, 1 yellow - 2 years). This was OK when Sam's Club was carrying them and I was getting free replacements, but this is no longer the case. They were willing to replace with the Energizer car battery (maybe they are OK, but I wasn't willing to be a guinea pig to find out).

I did some research and saw that the Diehard Platinum are made by Odyssey - 4 yr free replacement is worth the price of admission ($220 for my Jeep). Odyssey is about as good as it gets. Same Diehard Battery with Odyssey sticker on it was almost $100 more.

When my Maxima "Autocraft" battery calls it quits I'll be getting a Diehard Platinum to replace it.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:03 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Holy hell its been cold. Thankfully my batteries are less than a year old. Even still, they did not like these sub zero temps.

Most batteries are made by or owned by Johnson Controls. So each store has their own name brand. 24 seem to be the stronger rated size for us. Most also have 3 year free replacement warranty.

Walmart carries Everstart, which are rated good. I put one in my Altima over 5 years ago and it never gave me issues. Its in my Max right now (700 cca). I bought another one last year and put it in my truck (750 cca).

Autozone carries Duralast. I put a red in my moms old van, a gold one in my dads old Max. Seemed like a good battery so I got a gold (750 cca) for my Max, but its in my Altima now.

Advance Auto carries Autocraft. I just put on of those in my moms Quest (700 cca). If you buy from AAP, use their coupons online. You can get up to a $50 discount instantly.

I had an Optima Red top but it did not treat me well. It left a bad taste in my mouth so I would not recommend one. The local battery only shop had a huge pallet of junk Optimas. He told me they are over hyped and over priced. Still they look cool and give you 15 HP at the wheels.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:44 PM

imho Die Hard. Probably the standard one is in the sweet spot. Why? Easy warranty replacements. I got one from Advance Auto, top of the line 84 mo. and it failed in 2 yrs. They gave me a very hard time and finally I told them to f off. My Sears failed in 3 1/2 yrs., and they upgraded me to a Die Hard Gold for like $50 ($119 battery). Do we really need to spend more on a 4th gen Maxima? I don't think so....save the AGM for a 2011+ car with a lot of electronics, I believe even a Ram 1500 has it, so it's not that cool.....
Old 01-25-2013, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cebby
I agree - don't believe the hype on the Optimas.
My buddy worked in a distribution center and they had palettes of that junk, red, yellow, etc. OVERPRICED JUNK.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
My buddy worked in a distribution center and they had palettes of that junk, red, yellow, etc. OVERPRICED JUNK.
haha, awesome also. I can only find 35 sized Diehard Plats not 24.

also yeah its an old maxi but at the same time. I do have a high end audio system and do prefer putting a better battery in there. I think this energizer battery lasted so long because I drained the **** out of it, and filled it up again for the past 7 or 8 years haha. I honestly think a lot of batterys fail because they are either over charged or over charged in the winter. Funny as it may be, It probably is best to leave those headlights on probably a few times a year and trickle charge her back up! haha I am kidding of course .:P
Old 01-25-2013, 05:34 PM

is your friend
Old 01-25-2013, 05:51 PM

Been 5 years on my red top. Not one single problem. Interstate before that, no problems there either..
Old 01-25-2013, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
is your friend
pointless post, don't need you lousy input.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
He told me they are over hyped and over priced. Still they look cool and give you 15 HP at the wheels.
I hope your joking lol.

Anyways, while we're talking batteries, anyone know how many CCA our 4th gens can handle? I've got the classic Maxima "cold start" issue and have been battling it for years. It would be great to not worry about getting stranded when it's under 5º outside
Old 01-26-2013, 06:43 AM

I've always used DieHard's, but its mostly because I get them for free.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by kasso28
I've always used DieHard's, but its mostly because I get them for free.
lucky lol
Old 01-26-2013, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by cjanderson3
I hope your joking lol.

Anyways, while we're talking batteries, anyone know how many CCA our 4th gens can handle? I've got the classic Maxima "cold start" issue and have been battling it for years. It would be great to not worry about getting stranded when it's under 5º outside
they can handle really "anything" per se. I mean if you could find like a 1200 CCA which is for like fleet trucks its not like it would fit in the battery tray anyway lol but yeah stay above 640CCA and you should be good.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:50 AM

If you're still looking, look into DieHard Platinum. They are rebadged Oddyssey brand AGM batteries at a lower price. They get excellent reviews online.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:57 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by cjanderson3
I hope your joking lol.
Yes its a joke. However, Optima markets their batteries as if they are made with some magical material such as unicorn fur. Sure you could mount your AGM upside down. But why would you need to?
Old 01-26-2013, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by kasso28
If you're still looking, look into DieHard Platinum. They are rebadged Oddyssey brand AGM batteries at a lower price. They get excellent reviews online.
I think our cars are so old, "cool" things don't really make any sense anymore. I've been around since the time people cleared out their front lenses, so maybe I see things differently. There is absolutely no purpose to an AGM battery in our cars. What really matters is yes, CCA, and RC. And to show that AGM is not "cool" anymore, it comes in a RAM 1500.

In my 335i, I considered AGM, simply because the battery is only $70 more. But the vehicle would have to be reprogrammed, so I said why would I pay the dealer another $160 in labor just to have an AGM battery (standard on the M3)?

Just the way I see things, I love my Maxima more today than I did when it was new, but I'm not willing to buy unnecessary items for it.....

Die Hard Gold baby!
Old 01-26-2013, 10:02 AM

I have been using Duralast Yellowtop and have been very happy with it.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
I think our cars are so old, "cool" things don't really make any sense anymore. I've been around since the time people cleared out their front lenses, so maybe I see things differently. There is absolutely no purpose to an AGM battery in our cars. What really matters is yes, CCA, and RC. And to show that AGM is not "cool" anymore, it comes in a RAM 1500.

In my 335i, I considered AGM, simply because the battery is only $70 more. But the vehicle would have to be reprogrammed, so I said why would I pay the dealer another $160 in labor just to have an AGM battery (standard on the M3)?

Just the way I see things, I love my Maxima more today than I did when it was new, but I'm not willing to buy unnecessary items for it.....

Die Hard Gold baby!

I don't think any car is too "old" to have a nice battery I mean you make it seem like its a 400 dollar HC Alternator that will only fit in a max lol. Its just a battery that you can always throw into another car with in reasonable tray size specs. Just keep your current beat one in the closet with plastic around it and use it when you sell or junk your car. I would never sell a $220 dollar diehard plat or a $130 dollar gold with my car. Hell my system is coming with me too.

Well the only sucky thing about that is I have rare speakers in my doors I custom inserted in the door panels so If I ever do sell my car, I would need to put new panels in because those 3 way speakers are not made anymore. but in any case. I am broke so I might just end up with the gold but if I get this nice job I am trying to get, I'll get the plat.

The plat not only sells me on the higher CCA than gold, the fact that it is AGM, which the gold's aren't. The name of it, and the very cold climates I live in as well as The 4 year warranty is amazing I mean the good but maybe sorta downside is, it will last JUST about 4 years haha and than go dead after that, but honestly I kinda doubt that if I got over 7 on this energizer battery especially when oddsessy/diehard batteries are really amazing quality and you get what you paid for.

Now the weird part is, my 2 rear batts are AGM and they feel sluggish for my system. I hope that isn't a things to come with an AGM battery lol. I have good branded ones in there too and batcap and some other brand I forget, but they could be sluggish because my front battery is ****tin the bed. It still turns the car over though just not when its like less than 5 degrees out it really has a super hard time turning over.

Last edited by S1cTech; 01-27-2013 at 04:20 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:17 AM

I don't think any car is too "old" to have a nice battery I mean you make it seem like its a 400 dollar HC Alternator that will only fit in a max lol. Its just a battery that you can always throw into another car with in reasonable tray size specs. Just keep your current beat one in the closet with plastic around it and use it when you sell or junk your car. I would never sell a $220 dollar diehard plat or a $130 dollar gold with my car. Hell my system is coming with me too.

Well the only sucky thing about that is I have rare speakers in my doors I custom inserted in the door panels so If I ever do sell my car, I would need to put new panels in because those 3 way speakers are not made anymore. but in any case. I am broke so I might just end up with the gold but if I get this nice job I am trying to get, I'll get the plat.

The plat not only sells me on the higher CCA than gold, the fact that it is AGM, which the gold's aren't. The name of it, and the very cold climates I live in as well as The 4 year warranty is amazing I mean the good but maybe sorta downside is, it will last JUST about 4 years haha and than go dead after that, but honestly I kinda doubt that if I got over 7 on this energizer battery especially when oddsessy/diehard batteries are really amazing quality and you get what you paid for.

Now the weird part is, my 2 rear batts are AGM and they feel sluggish for my system. I hope that isn't a things to come with an AGM battery lol. I have good branded ones in there too and batcap and some other brand I forget, but they could be sluggish because my front battery is ****tin the bed. It still turns the car over though just not when its like less than 5 degrees out it really has a super hard time turning over.
In theory, AGM is better. On my other car, there is a vent tube since the battery is in the trunk. Maybe not needed with AGM. Also, AGM discharges very slowly, prolly less in a month than an ordinary battery in a week. Question is, does the Maxima need it? Most likely not. My other car will shut off the heated wheel, rear defrost, bluetooth, etc., i.e. it's intelligent in managing the power needs. Our Maximas are pretty simple.

so what I'm saying is if you have money to blow, wouldn't you just get a new car? Why blow it on a fancy battery that's not needed? Anyhow, say your car came with a 24F like mine did. As soon as you go group 35 all bets are off. If you check the CCA and RC, when you use the wrong size, sometimes the better battery has a lower rating, especially with RC. Just saying, again, if you have lots of money, just buy the best, I suppose.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:48 AM

I am also looking for a new battery. I have a nice stereo system in my car. I was looking at either the Diehard Platinum Group 34 or Gold Group 24F. Diehard does not have a Group 24 Platinum Battery. The Group 34 has 850 CCA and deep cell. Gold 24F has 700 CCA and not deep cell.

Anyone know if the Group 34 will fit in the tray? I will also do the Big 3 after battery is installed.

Group 34 measurements: 10.9" (L) X 6.8" (W) X 7.8" (H)
Group 24F measurements: 10.9"(L) x 6.7"(W) x 8.6"(H)

http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinu...p-02850034000P

http://www.sears.com/diehard-gold-au...1&blockType=G1
Old 01-28-2013, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Shock_and_Awe
I am also looking for a new battery. I have a nice stereo system in my car. I was looking at either the Diehard Platinum Group 34 or Gold Group 24F. Diehard does not have a Group 24 Platinum Battery. The Group 34 has 850 CCA and deep cell. Gold 24F has 700 CCA and not deep cell.

Anyone know if the Group 34 will fit in the tray? I will also do the Big 3 after battery is installed.

Group 34 measurements: 10.9" (L) X 6.8" (W) X 7.8" (H)
Group 24F measurements: 10.9"(L) x 6.7"(W) x 8.6"(H)

http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinu...p-02850034000P

http://www.sears.com/diehard-gold-au...1&blockType=G1

wish I could help in terms of size, but all I can say is my tray is 11inches so chances are those 2 batts will fit, but at the same time, you mine as well just get the correct one, because if you get a larger one, the chances of it fitting into a new car because a lot less of a chance. Nissan spec OEM ones are kinda small and don't even take up the full tray anyway.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:30 AM

bump.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:19 AM

bump.
Do you have some reason why you want/need to spend more than what a Die Hard Gold costs? It's so simple, you can spend over $200 if you want to, you won't get better CCA or RC, but you may get AGM, which is better in theory but not in practice. What answer are you looking to get from the forum?
Old 02-02-2013, 03:12 PM

After looking at the price discount, I decided that I was paying less for an OEM battery versus Duralast Yellow top so I have had no issues and left on accessory lights for over two hours in the cold and came out and car started right back up as if it could have went for more hours..