4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

cheapest possible way to replace coils? can't do $100 each

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 06:36 AM

cheapest possible way to replace coils? can't do $100 each

Long story short. I got no job at the moment. I am near broke, but my maxi is running like poo at warm idle, gas sucks at 15-16mpg and I need to give it a tune up. It will be coming on 3 years since I changed the plugs but I never changed the coils. I did gas filters last year. (had a 350z one and just ended up going back to maxima one there isn't a difference)Other than a rough idle when I put it into N preparing for a stop light the RPMS rip to a nice 300 RPM and back up. I already did IACV valve and YES brand new gaskets about 2 years ago. I believe I have a misfire because when I double tap the throttle on the highway. I get the stutter hesitation. Its really annoying...

So with that said. She has 230k miles on her. Engine has been MINT for the 7 years I owned her. Except for the things about it including the tranni but w.e ever the case. I just want to know the cheapest way I can go about changing all coils and I think I will be ok with just putting in NGK platinum again. I just want to get this idle issue out of the way. I personally cleaned the EGR valve too like 3 years ago. I do get some codes and I am doing the resister mod for the knock sensor but thats because I was tired of replacing one everytime. I went through 3 sensors since than but I know for a fact that has nothing to do with idle and misfires especially with the resister mod on.

I saw OEM nissans are $100 something each. Can't do that, but I also don't want junk either. I heard they were some for $100 a 6 set but I heard to stay away from those as well as they can melt. I am looking for anything other than less of at least $250 or so dollars for just coils. I also know I may need an o2 sensor, but code doesn't really show which one, which sucks. Its confusing. I know that will improve gas mileage too.

Thanks!

Last edited by S1cTech; 02-19-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:41 AM

junkyard
classifieds
Old 02-19-2013, 06:51 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

What is this double tap the throttle? You 5 speed or auto tranny?

Replacing all the coils because you "think" you have a misfire is just stupid. That fact that you want to do this and don't have any $$ is even worse.

TROUBLESHOOT before you start throwing parts at it. A misfire can come from a coil, fuel injector, spark plug or internal engine issue.

Is the idle rough at all times? Do you feel a vibration under load from a misfire? Have you pulled the spark plugs and looked at them for signs of a misfire? If you have a rough idle, pull the electrical connection from one coil at a time until you find the one that doesn't make a difference. If you can find that, then work on that cylinder.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
What is this double tap the throttle? You 5 speed or auto tranny?

Replacing all the coils because you "think" you have a misfire is just stupid. That fact that you want to do this and don't have any $$ is even worse.

TROUBLESHOOT before you start throwing parts at it. A misfire can come from a coil, fuel injector, spark plug or internal engine issue.

Is the idle rough at all times? Do you feel a vibration under load from a misfire? Have you pulled the spark plugs and looked at them for signs of a misfire? If you have a rough idle, pull the electrical connection from one coil at a time until you find the one that doesn't make a difference. If you can find that, then work on that cylinder.
5 speed so it makes it even easier with a direct connection to the engine and all. I pretty much know it has to be a coil. They are old and I haven't touched them since owning the car so I have no doubts it is one. I also had this misfire 3 years ago but it wasn't that big of deal cause idle was fine and my car didn't shutter. I need motor mounts (again too) but I put crappy ebay ones in last time. I wanna squeeze as much life out of this car as I can before it goes to car heaven.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Mr.A32ftw
junkyard
classifieds
I agree with junkyard. I just changed my plugs, and the ONE coil pack I replaced with an auto parts store coil was stuck and ripped. The coil was maybe two years old. All the other OE coil (14 YEARS OLD; 262K miles!) popped right out. No problem.

Imma replace the crappy auto parts store coil with a OEM junkyard unit.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.A32ftw
junkyard
classifieds
Not sure If I would ever touch junkyard coils but honestly it seems like a good idea at this point haha now the thing is. If they haven't been stripped out by now I think the other issue is a lot of cars don't have a hood and the coils just sit soaking in the rain which sucks.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:20 AM

Yea you have to wait until a car is new on the lot and then ****** em up. Most people try to use a screw driver and strip the screw so just bring an 8mm and you can get the ones other people cant
Old 02-19-2013, 08:29 AM

Only options are..

1) New from Nissan
2) Junkyard
3) Maxima.org

Don't bother with any other coil...or you'll get a P1320 IIRC.

* I would start with the small stuff; NGK spark plugs, fuel filter, clean out the IACV, clean the TB, clean the EGR tube, etc.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:35 AM

I can go to the JY likely tomorrow and grab 3 front and 3 rears off of a car that is a few days old. Also has the rear Infiniti mat that goes over the tunnel.....
Old 02-19-2013, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Shift_A32B
Only options are..

1) New from Nissan
2) Junkyard
3) Maxima.org

Don't bother with any other coil...or you'll get a P1320 IIRC.

* I would start with the small stuff; NGK spark plugs, fuel filter, clean out the IACV, clean the TB, clean the EGR tube, etc.
No offense but did you read my original post at all? lol
Old 02-19-2013, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by S1cTech
No offense but did you read my original post at all? lol
In terms of maintenance, you said you did plugs 3 years, IACV 2 years and fuel filter 1 year ago. I doesn't hurt to do it again. I know you're broke but you can do the free stuff which is cleaning the IACV, TB, EGR tube and MAF sensor.
Perhaps replace the air filter if you haven't.

You said you wanted options to replace your ignition coils...well with your budget, your choice is very limited.

I'm also saving you from a headache incase you decide to get aftermarket ignition coils. Trying to be cheap on ignition coils will result in a more expensive bill.

There isn't very much you can do with your budget.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:45 AM

What's wrong with junkyard coils?? My rear coils from a dek are almost 180k miles old still fine and they were off a junker, then used by a previous oovi'er and now myself. It takes under 5 mins to get all 6 and u can stuff them in your socks and pockets and walk out. OEM only for maf and coils is what I learned so far

then check one coil at a time by unplugging it and seeing a difference in your idle quality. Replace the one(s) that DON'T affect idle.

also why are you not using ngk platinum from the start?
Old 02-19-2013, 10:56 AM

junkyard coils are the same as buying from the org... i have 2 junkyard coils in my 99 no issues at all... id rather spend 50 on used coils than 100 on new aftermarket trash coils.... contact maxfever or maxima_joe they sell alot of parts seeing they part out cars....
Old 02-19-2013, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by MAXIMA_STYLE
junkyard coils are the same as buying from the org... i have 2 junkyard coils in my 99 no issues at all... id rather spend 50 on used coils than 100 on new aftermarket trash coils.... contact maxfever or maxima_joe they sell alot of parts seeing they part out cars....
cool thanks
Old 02-19-2013, 03:11 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by S1cTech
5 speed so it makes it even easier with a direct connection to the engine and all. I pretty much know it has to be a coil. They are old and I haven't touched them since owning the car so I have no doubts it is one
Yup, great troubleshooting there. You know my car is old too and throws a downstream o2 code every now and then. I bet it's the fuel injectors because there old and I've never touched them.

I also had this misfire 3 years ago but it wasn't that big of deal cause idle was fine and my car didn't shutter.
The invisible nonexistent misfire syndrome. We're familiar with that on here...

I need motor mounts (again too).
Double tap throttle + bad motor mounts = ? [insert jeopardy theme]

I'm not in a good mood today, can ya tell?

Last edited by njmaxseltd; 02-19-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Yup, great troubleshooting there. You know my car is old too and throws a downstream o2 code every now and then. I bet it's the fuel injectors because there old and I've never touched them.

The invisible nonexistent misfire syndrome. We're familiar with that on here...

Double tap throttle + bad motor mounts = ? [insert jeopardy theme]

I'm not in a good mood today, can ya tell?
ya your suffering from dbag syndrome
Old 02-19-2013, 09:22 PM
SLOW

how is it that every thread you create makes you seem more helpless than the last? wow...
Old 02-20-2013, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
how is it that every thread you create makes you seem more helpless than the last? wow...
huh?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
lel

Seriously though, if you believe your coilpacks are giving you a 'rough idle' (doubt it), then drive to a junk yard and have your pick. Remember to take packs out of a wrecked car (the car was probably running when it got hit).

Simple.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by CichlidKid
lel

Seriously though, if you believe your coilpacks are giving you a 'rough idle' (doubt it), then drive to a junk yard and have your pick. Remember to take packs out of a wrecked car (the car was probably running when it got hit).

Simple.
Unless the car was hit while it was parked