4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Has anyone here done dual rear exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2002, 05:21 PM
Banned

Has anyone here done dual rear exhaust

im looking to do dual rear exhaust not for performance but because i like the look. I know that i need to get the rear bumper cut but i like to know what else do i need to get ather then a going to a mufler shop. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2002, 05:50 PM

Re: Has anyone here done dual rear exhaust

Originally posted by philthismax
im looking to do dual rear exhaust not for performance but because i like the look. I know that i need to get the rear bumper cut but i like to know what else do i need to get ather then a going to a mufler shop. Thanks.
PM 1/3there2/3togo i think...he had a picture of his max with duals on it before the big sig **** week.
Old 01-12-2002, 06:31 PM

I know you will have to modify your spare tire compartment to allow for the exhaust to run through.
Old 01-12-2002, 07:33 PM

Re: Re: Has anyone here done dual rear exhaust

Originally posted by guitaraus

PM 1/3there2/3togo i think...he had a picture of his max with duals on it before the big sig **** week.
Craig now beholds the power of the duals
Old 01-12-2002, 07:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well...

They both have a single muffler with the tips split and running to the bumper. It is nothing special, but it looks and sounds good (from what I hear). If you want a true dual exhaust, arrafio is right - you have to cut into the spare tire well. That can be very dangerous and expensive. True, it would look kinda cheap if you look under the bumper and don't find a muffler, but like I said it is a lot cheaper than a true dual exhaust. If you really want something crazy, check out Greg @ CustomMaxima. He has 4 tips running straight off his catalytic converter. No muffler. He says its extemely loud, but sound good.
-Cyrus
Old 01-12-2002, 08:06 PM

Re: Well...

Originally posted by Vyrus
They both have a single muffler with the tips split and running to the bumper. It is nothing special, but it looks and sounds good (from what I hear). If you want a true dual exhaust, arrafio is right - you have to cut into the spare tire well. That can be very dangerous and expensive. True, it would look kinda cheap if you look under the bumper and don't find a muffler, but like I said it is a lot cheaper than a true dual exhaust. If you really want something crazy, check out Greg @ CustomMaxima. He has 4 tips running straight off his catalytic converter. No muffler. He says its extemely loud, but sound good.
-Cyrus
No as in 1/3rd sold his duals to Craig.
Old 01-12-2002, 08:15 PM

Re: Re: Well...

Originally posted by Tai Mai Shu Jr.

I know, sorry it wasn't clear.
Old 01-12-2002, 09:45 PM

Re: Re: Re: Well...

pm me with your email if you want a pic of his duals
Old 01-12-2002, 09:48 PM

I know that Sx7r has done duals on his.. He even put the rectangular Z-28 tips on his.. It looks really sweet
Old 01-12-2002, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by cleanmax02
I know that Sx7r has done duals on his.. He even put the rectangular Z-28 tips on his.. It looks really sweet
ya thats true, ive seen the pics, he has an extremely non restrictive exhaust setup
Old 01-12-2002, 10:00 PM

a functional dual exhaust system on a maxima will have both a good side and a bad side. Good side is that it will make your car look really cool, bad side is that it will decrease your peak performance because although it may seem to be more easy flowing......there is a restriction.....which is the splitter that allows you to attach two b-pipes......
Old 01-12-2002, 11:13 PM

Old 01-12-2002, 11:35 PM

'fivelitrekiller' has it on his 4th gen. It looks really good and sounds really loud!
Old 01-13-2002, 06:31 AM

you don't loose anything if you run NOS like sx7r with 3 inches all the back haha....
Old 01-13-2002, 07:18 AM

dual exhaust setup

I was just browsing through recent posts and came to this thread. If any one has good under the car PICs I would be interested in seeing them. If there is enough interest perhaps Dallas and I could offer a dual b-pipe set up. truaxdan@mn.astound.net No idea on pricing until we see what is actually needed.

Dan WSP
Old 01-13-2002, 07:50 AM

Re: dual exhaust setup

Originally posted by Dan 93 SE
I was just browsing through recent posts and came to this thread. If any one has good under the car PICs I would be interested in seeing them. If there is enough interest perhaps Dallas and I could offer a dual b-pipe set up. truaxdan@mn.astound.net No idea on pricing until we see what is actually needed.

Dan WSP
that would be nice, thomas get the guys some pics
Old 01-13-2002, 08:34 AM

Hmmm. That would be really cool. So it would pretty much be a bolt on dual exhuast kit? What else would you need besides another muffler? My guy quoted me about 1k for a custom setup (yeah, some deal...)
Old 01-13-2002, 09:11 AM

Dual exhaust set up

I can tell you this, if we decide to do a dual set up, it will not be $1K. PICs, I need detailed ones from the Cat back, both sides and the year of car as 95-96 and 97 up are slightly different, they have to be shot under the car.If we use 304 SS it will be alot more expensive than if we use aluminized steel. Please let me know diameter of pipes used as well.People have said that all a dual set up does is increase weight and help looks. It may take away from performance. I will be sure to show Dallas this thread.I know he has a vendor working on several mufflers that could be used or would you all prefer a bring your own muffler application? Many people like their car quiet, some like it loud.What if we supply the pipes and you add the muffler?

Dan WSP
Old 01-13-2002, 09:23 AM

Come on people get this man his pics!!! Any idea at all on pricing? Anyway you can do a few different options, such as a light weight option, a heavy cheap option, and a durable long lasting in snow and salt option, etc. I think if you can get a good deal on a few different mufflers you should have the whole kit. I know that I'll want a 3in muffler for both that isnt too loud.
Old 01-13-2002, 10:52 AM

Re: Dual exhaust set up

Originally posted by Dan 93 SE
I can tell you this, if we decide to do a dual set up, it will not be $1K. PICs, I need detailed ones from the Cat back, both sides and the year of car as 95-96 and 97 up are slightly different, they have to be shot under the car.If we use 304 SS it will be alot more expensive than if we use aluminized steel. Please let me know diameter of pipes used as well.People have said that all a dual set up does is increase weight and help looks. It may take away from performance. I will be sure to show Dallas this thread.I know he has a vendor working on several mufflers that could be used or would you all prefer a bring your own muffler application? Many people like their car quiet, some like it loud.What if we supply the pipes and you add the muffler?

Dan WSP
hate to break it to you guys but, a dual B-PIPE setup would be extremely hard to make because of space limitations under the car. having spent countless hours under my car, i can tell you that it'd be difficult to fit two pipes in the space after the cat. if you've looked at the b-pipe, you know there's a 90 degree bend in it when it goes around the gas tank. with a a dual setup the other pipe would have to have a 90 degree bend to the opposite side. however, the gas tank is offset. while there is maybe 5" of space(width) for the b-pipe to pass on the normal side, there is only about 3" of space on the other side AND there are fuel lines running there AND the space on the other side doesn't go up as high. if you were to run both pipes next to each other the whole way back, i don't think it would clear the rear beam because my 3" pipe barely clears the rear beam. now if it does clear the rear beam then you have to run the second pipe behind the beam to the other side and then back out. but to put a muffer on the other side there are two more obstacles. you have your EVAP canister sitting in the space directly opposite of your stock muffler's location, and then there's the trunk.

take a look for yourselves:

Old 01-13-2002, 11:06 AM

I would think if you used say 2" piping for a dual catback, back pressure would be less of an issue? Just a thought.
Old 01-13-2002, 11:43 AM

I have seen Kirk's car in person..1/3there...whatever... It does look nice on cold days when smoke is billowing out. He had two different sizes of pipe because one side was Teed off the other (I think) so to even out air flow he opened up one side more than he other. I think he's sold or is selling his max
Old 01-13-2002, 11:55 AM

I think Dan may have spoken a little hastily on the gen 4, having spent many hours under the gen 4 the evaporative junk sits right square in the way of where I would run the driver side pipe. However, once I put the finishing touches on the subframes I'll take another look at it, I think a split junction with 2-2" or 1-1/2" pipes might be the trick. It should work fine on the gen 3 anyway.

Tomorrow we are finishing the stage 2 x brace on my 96 and the 2001 muffler install. (have jeep 4.0 cai to finish also)

We also are doing a little thing with the front section of the B pipe where we eliminate or replace the resonator and the "s" looking section on the 97-2001 where the o2 sensor plugs in right ahead of the resonator. It will also eliminate that crushed area all the gen 4 and 5 cars have right behind the resonator. So far tests have shown we can pickup at least 2-3 mpg when cruising and I know it will help exhaust flow as the crushed section behind the resonator is crushed to about 1" thick from its original 2" diameter.

We simply detach the B pipe from cat and then cut the old B pipe off in the lateral straight section about 14" after the front hanger (the one behind the resonator)and slip the new mandrel bent section over the end and clamp in place. We will have a specially designed o2 insert which will allow plenty of clearance (for the 1997-2001) and will offer the pipe with or without a resonator. It will eliminate the ground clearance issues for the stock resonator, I have never seen one yet that was not dented. Under $100 with resonator.

We are also making an adapter for the gen 4 mufflers to enable the installation of a 2000-2002 muffler.
Busy week ahead, we have several people coming in for sfc installs and we are trying to get about 40 sets complete. The Gen 4 sfc's will be the first available as our other 2 gen 3 and gen 5 cars will be in a little later this or next week.

Dallas
WarpSpeed Performance
Old 01-13-2002, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by bmfjeep

We also are doing a little thing with the front section of the B pipe where we eliminate or replace the resonator and the "s" looking section on the 97-2001 where the o2 sensor plugs in right ahead of the resonator. It will also eliminate that crushed area all the gen 4 and 5 cars have right behind the resonator. So far tests have shown we can pickup at least 2-3 mpg when cruising and I know it will help exhaust flow as the crushed section behind the resonator is crushed to about 1" thick from its original 2" diameter.

We simply detach the B pipe from cat and then cut the old B pipe off in the lateral straight section about 14" after the front hanger (the one behind the resonator)and slip the new mandrel bent section over the end and clamp in place. We will have a specially designed o2 insert which will allow plenty of clearance (for the 1997-2001) and will offer the pipe with or without a resonator. It will eliminate the ground clearance issues for the stock resonator, I have never seen one yet that was not dented. Under $100 with resonator.

Dallas
WarpSpeed Performance
Dallas, any word on the 4th gen B-pipes? Will you be making any of the B-pipes w/o a o2 sensor hole? I have a 4th gen cali. Materials? Mandrel bends? Thanks.
Old 01-13-2002, 12:09 PM

now this is worth doing.
Old 01-13-2002, 12:13 PM

Suggestion...

I've seen this before on an MX-7... If you're going just for the look, you could have a "dummy" dual tip exhaust. That way, you'll have the bext of both worlds, the performance of a single exhaust, and the look of a dual exhaust. The other thing, you won't have to do as much cutting, and customizing of the rear end.

-Jason...
Old 01-13-2002, 12:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Suggestion...

Originally posted by PhantomMenace
I've seen this before on an MX-7... If you're going just for the look, you could have a "dummy" dual tip exhaust. That way, you'll have the bext of both worlds, the performance of a single exhaust, and the look of a dual exhaust. The other thing, you won't have to do as much cutting, and customizing of the rear end.

-Jason...
You mean MX-6 or RX-7??? Yes, you could do this... and you could also remove your coils to slam your car... but people will be laughing their asses off at you when they see exhaust coming out of only ONE side the second you start it up.

Thanks, but no thanks! I think the idea on 1/3 there...(whatever)'s car that nigelcmf mentioned is a good idea - T one side off with bigger pipe to even the exhaust flow.
Old 01-13-2002, 12:54 PM

.....I think a split junction with 2-2" or 1-1/2" pipes might be the trick. It should work fine on the gen 3 anyway.
Dallas
WarpSpeed Performance
HEY DALLAS... C'mon man, you know we want it
Old 01-13-2002, 12:55 PM

Re: Re: Suggestion...

Sorry... MX-6. I saw this setup in a warm climate... so the exhaust, wasn't noticeable, so he didn't have that problem. But, it was just a suggestion.

Jason...

Originally posted by Bman
You mean MX-6 or RX-7??? Yes, you could do this... and you could also remove your coils to slam your car... but people will be laughing their asses off at you when they see exhaust coming out of only ONE side the second you start it up.

Thanks, but no thanks! I think the idea on 1/3 there...(whatever)'s car that nigelcmf mentioned is a good idea - T one side off with bigger pipe to even the exhaust flow.
Old 01-13-2002, 04:33 PM

hey, howcome this thread vanished? I had to search for it!
Old 01-13-2002, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by Synki

Dallas, any word on the 4th gen B-pipes? Will you be making any of the B-pipes w/o a o2 sensor hole? I have a 4th gen cali. Materials? Mandrel bends? Thanks.
I am scheduling a visit to the guys who are bending our 4th and 5th gen B pipes next week. I really want to do the 2-1/2" diameter B pipes first, the other mods we are making for the stock B pipe are for those who don't want to spend a lot but get some good results.

We will be doing the 2-1/4" and 2-3/4" B pipes when they run those diameters next. It takes about 4-6 hours to change tooling so it is difficult to run more than 1 or 2 sizes a week the way they are set-up. I have 2 sample B pipes there for them to work with already and will have the B pipe installed on my 96 to make sure all is well. It is a 5 hour drive to their shop and we usually work on all the configurations in that diameter when I am there.

(Since we have to actually add the 02 insert it saves us money if you don't need the insert. The 95 and 96 should not need the o2 insert as theirs is in the converter. The 97 up look like they all have the o2 behind the converter.) Hey, if you need something special we'll do it if at all possible.

Hope that answered your question.

Dallas

WarpSpeed Performance
Old 01-13-2002, 08:00 PM

Thanks for the info Dallas.

BTW-i own a 99 cali spec. I know for a fact that on my model/spec, there is no o2 sensor after the cat. All the o2 sensors are on the y-pipe. Thanks for the update!
Old 01-13-2002, 10:13 PM

wow yall are busy guys, i would be quite interested in the thing that gives more mpg, it would pay for itself in no time, and thomas i knew you would come through with pics
Old 01-13-2002, 11:01 PM

Re: Has anyone here done dual rear exhaust

Originally posted by philthismax
I did have a nice and loud dual exhaust setup that I just sold to craig mack. I put on a quieter one as I am selling my max. If you want to know what I did PM me. You can also search as I have talked about this many times before. It does help out performance throughout the entire powerband, but especially at top end. The picture I had is no longer on the internet but I'll try to post it on my website this week and send you a pic.

Kirk

If you have any questions PM or Email me.
Old 01-13-2002, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by araffio
I know you will have to modify your spare tire compartment to allow for the exhaust to run through.
No, you dont.
Old 01-13-2002, 11:05 PM

Re: Re: Well...

Originally posted by Tai Mai Shu Jr.

Yes, I sold him my old one and put on a quiet dual-exhaust as I am selling the car
Old 01-14-2002, 11:29 AM

Re: Re: Re: Well...

Originally posted by 1/3There2/3ToGo

Yes, I sold him my old one and put on a quiet dual-exhaust as I am selling the car
if u need the pic ive got it, remember i was the one that resized it for you
Old 01-14-2002, 11:35 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Well...

Originally posted by RedMax95
if u need the pic ive got it, remember i was the one that resized it for you
I remember...and I just posted the pic so here it is:

Hope you like.

Kirk
Old 01-14-2002, 05:26 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Guys, if you could only see what is sitting in my garage right now And even tho it's florida we still get alot of steam outta the tips right now and DAMN i can't wait for dual smoke ....thank God for Mr. Macklem.

BTW, Did you get the check yet Kirk? Should be their anyday.
Old 01-14-2002, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack
Guys, if you could only see what is sitting in my garage right now And even tho it's florida we still get alot of steam outta the tips right now and DAMN i can't wait for dual smoke ....thank God for Mr. Macklem.

BTW, Did you get the check yet Kirk? Should be their anyday.
Not yet, but Im back in my dorm so it should arive at my private residence and not here. I'll be going home thursday night so I'll let you know if its there then You are going to love the sound of those also....its an awesome purrrrrr.

Oh...and you are very welcome, it was a pleasure doing business with you.

Kirk

Quick Reply: Has anyone here done dual rear exhaust