4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 12:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

New Maxima

Hello everybody,

I just picked up myself a 1996 Maxima GLE with 130,000 miles.
I've got quite a few problems that I wanted to run by everybody to see how normal they are.

1: Brakes vibrate below 10 MPH. And after releasing the brake pedal from a stop, it feels like the pads stick for a moment. I tried taking out the ABS fuse, but it didn't help at all. I've got 4-wheel disc brakes.

2: When going over bumps, the car vibrates. All of the springs and struts feel fine. It's unlike anything I've ever felt before. It's a quick, intense shake. And when going over bumps on the interstate while going around corners, the car actually jumps around the road--very scary.

3: The front radiator support is completely rusted out. I know this is a common thing, but does it actually affect the driveability of the car?

4: The transmission seems to shift hard from 1st to 2nd--automatic. The fluid looks good. It's not rough, just pretty noticeable. Is this normal for Maximas?

Old 05-29-2013, 01:01 PM

1) Calipers could be sticking. Common problem for 4th gens. Could be slider pins need to be regreased too. Put your abs fuse back in

2)Could be mounts. Or see below.

3) My rad support is gone and my cross member is hanging. It does effect the cars driveability.

4) Look around here. Many people have this. it goes away once that car is warm

5) SEARCH
Old 05-29-2013, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Spider-Man
Hello everybody,

I just picked up myself a 1996 Maxima GLE with 130,000 miles.
I've got quite a few problems that I wanted to run by everybody to see how normal they are.

1: Brakes vibrate below 10 MPH. And after releasing the brake pedal from a stop, it feels like the pads stick for a moment. I tried taking out the ABS fuse, but it didn't help at all. I've got 4-wheel disc brakes.

2: When going over bumps, the car vibrates. All of the springs and struts feel fine. It's unlike anything I've ever felt before. It's a quick, intense shake. And when going over bumps on the interstate while going around corners, the car actually jumps around the road--very scary.

3: The front radiator support is completely rusted out. I know this is a common thing, but does it actually affect the driveability of the car?

4: The transmission seems to shift hard from 1st to 2nd--automatic. The fluid looks good. It's not rough, just pretty noticeable. Is this normal for Maximas?

First of all - WELCOME!

1 - I assume you mean steering wheel vibrates at low speends, not the brakes. Check tire pressure and tire tread for alignment issues. If you mean the brakes feel as if they're engaging, then not, then engaging again, then you probably have warped rotors. Get new pads and rotors. Also, check the rear brakes, a caliper could be sticking too...

2 - Stock? Probably original struts...they get tired after awhile. If you wanna replace on the cheap, get Monroe QuickStruts. If you want something else, search around re: coilovers / shocks and springs. One of the largest debates here on the org is suspension. I have 157k on mine and I just installed Illuminas (adjustable shocks) with matching springs (it was a kit) and LOVE it. Like a new ride.

you can get an RSB (rear sway bar) to help with the floatiness on the corners...

3 - It affects the driveability when teh radiator dislodges from the vehicle and drops down, yes. GET THAT REPAIRED PROPERLY. OEM or nothing. No joke.

4 - yeah, pretty normal, especially on light acceleration. If you have the pedal down halfway or more does it shift smoother?