Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   EMERGENCY: CALLING ALL 4TH GEN EXPERTS. CKPS issue (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/669164-emergency-calling-all-4th-gen-experts-ckps-issue.html)

BostonBarrett475 08-09-2013 07:31 PM

EMERGENCY: CALLING ALL 4TH GEN EXPERTS. CKPS issue

Tonight I was getting on the highway and i stepped on the gas and I heard and almost felt a grinding noise (cannot find proper word for noise description) and my check engine light came on. Because I was delivering I got back to the shop and I came out to start up my car and it would crank all day and not start. So called up a buddy to bring his scan tool so I can see the code, reset it and hopefully start up the car and deal with the issue tomorrow. My heart sank when the two codes were crankshaft position sensor and a pending sensor code. I popped the hood and looked around and my drive belt was torn in half pretty much (must have lost the other half on the highway) but i could see the frayed edge.

Now here's a twist: I have had that same drive belt and tensioner for it replaced within in the last six months so i'm assuming something made this happen which is what i'm troubleshooting. Could the sensor have been going bad and causing me to have belt problems or could possibly one of the individual pulley components be causing my timing to be off. I had a nissan tech who works at the dealership replace the belts and i had to go back and get them tightened because it started to squeal again! That factor alone tells me something in that loop is causing the belts to go bad and the timing to be off by just enough to ruin it. I'm stuck in the position of either replacing the belt, and the sensor myself with a mechanic friend, or just letting a shop look at it and work on it. I welcome expert advice and input and yes there's other threads in regards with an issue like this but I am reaching out for advice so telling me to search is unproductive because I already did plenty o it. Thanks in advance

Climaxx 08-09-2013 07:43 PM

Your DTC and belt shredding issues are two totally separate issues.

BostonBarrett475 08-09-2013 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Climaxx (Post 8836516)
Your DTC and belt shredding issues are two totally separate issues.

I understand that's very possible but how so? I had no codes then the minute I got a code the belt was shredded. Can you expand upon your response?

Fakie J Farkerton 08-09-2013 07:54 PM

Is your crankshaft pulley doing the wobble?

I've heard of the power steering belt getting chewed up because of this when it gets real bad.

Fauken 08-09-2013 07:59 PM

Replace the sensor and O-ring and make sure you tighten the tensioner pulley correctly. If its making a squeal then it's still loose man.

BostonBarrett475 08-09-2013 08:37 PM

I think I'm just gonna sit back and let the shop take care of this problem, because it has been an occuring issue and I don't want to screw up fixing the issue. Thanks for the replies

99maxwell 08-09-2013 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by BostonBarrett475 (Post 8836535)
I think I'm just gonna sit back and let the shop take care of this problem, because it has been an occuring issue and I don't want to screw up fixing the issue. Thanks for the replies

replacing the sensor is a fairly easy job, I just did mine. I would attempt the job at least that way you won't get charged an arm and a leg. The CPS is the culprit to it cranking and not starting.

njmaxseltd 08-10-2013 05:32 AM

What was the CPS code?
There are 2 crank position sensors. CPS REF is located just above the crank pully, CPS POS is located on the transmission bell housing and looks at the flywheel.
Being the belt shredded, you might have a crank pully issue which could have also destroyed CPS REF.

maxinout93 08-10-2013 09:45 AM

Crank pulley is wobbleing and destroying your belts, mine ate my belts twice before i bought a new One.

BostonBarrett475 08-10-2013 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd (Post 8836585)
What was the CPS code?
There are 2 crank position sensors. CPS REF is located just above the crank pully, CPS POS is located on the transmission bell housing and looks at the flywheel.
Being the belt shredded, you might have a crank pully issue which could have also destroyed CPS REF.

The code was the p1335 code which is a relief that points towards the REF CPS.. so Maxinout is correct with the crank pulley most likely being the culprit as im caught up on all my gaskets and leaking no oil. I would replace the sensor, the belts myself but i just want a third party to look at the issue and troubleshoot that it is in fact the crank pulley doing this and finally put this ordeal to rest for good. In good news, the noise coming from my engine wasn't the timing chain like i previously thought so she'll be running nice and quiet when it's all said and done. Thanks for your responses guys i really appreciate it. I feel confident the crank pulley has been destroying my belts. If that's the truth then when the belt tore wouldn't the crank sensor register that and go off? If that's the case wouldn't the sensor NOT need replacing as it's still good?

Fauken 08-10-2013 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd (Post 8836585)
What was the CPS code?

This

Fakie J Farkerton 08-10-2013 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Fauken (Post 8836647)

This

My short answers/questions always get ignored. :sadpace:
I need to work on that I guess.

BostonBarrett475 08-10-2013 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton (Post 8836657)
My short answers/questions always get ignored. :sadpace:
I need to work on that I guess.

Fakie sorry i neglected to acknowledge your insightful post, thanks for your input