4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

EMERGENCY: CALLING ALL 4TH GEN EXPERTS. CKPS issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 07:31 PM

EMERGENCY: CALLING ALL 4TH GEN EXPERTS. CKPS issue

Tonight I was getting on the highway and i stepped on the gas and I heard and almost felt a grinding noise (cannot find proper word for noise description) and my check engine light came on. Because I was delivering I got back to the shop and I came out to start up my car and it would crank all day and not start. So called up a buddy to bring his scan tool so I can see the code, reset it and hopefully start up the car and deal with the issue tomorrow. My heart sank when the two codes were crankshaft position sensor and a pending sensor code. I popped the hood and looked around and my drive belt was torn in half pretty much (must have lost the other half on the highway) but i could see the frayed edge.

Now here's a twist: I have had that same drive belt and tensioner for it replaced within in the last six months so i'm assuming something made this happen which is what i'm troubleshooting. Could the sensor have been going bad and causing me to have belt problems or could possibly one of the individual pulley components be causing my timing to be off. I had a nissan tech who works at the dealership replace the belts and i had to go back and get them tightened because it started to squeal again! That factor alone tells me something in that loop is causing the belts to go bad and the timing to be off by just enough to ruin it. I'm stuck in the position of either replacing the belt, and the sensor myself with a mechanic friend, or just letting a shop look at it and work on it. I welcome expert advice and input and yes there's other threads in regards with an issue like this but I am reaching out for advice so telling me to search is unproductive because I already did plenty o it. Thanks in advance
Old 08-09-2013, 07:43 PM

Your DTC and belt shredding issues are two totally separate issues.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Climaxx
Your DTC and belt shredding issues are two totally separate issues.
I understand that's very possible but how so? I had no codes then the minute I got a code the belt was shredded. Can you expand upon your response?
Old 08-09-2013, 07:54 PM

Is your crankshaft pulley doing the wobble?

I've heard of the power steering belt getting chewed up because of this when it gets real bad.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:59 PM

Replace the sensor and O-ring and make sure you tighten the tensioner pulley correctly. If its making a squeal then it's still loose man.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:37 PM

I think I'm just gonna sit back and let the shop take care of this problem, because it has been an occuring issue and I don't want to screw up fixing the issue. Thanks for the replies
Old 08-09-2013, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by BostonBarrett475
I think I'm just gonna sit back and let the shop take care of this problem, because it has been an occuring issue and I don't want to screw up fixing the issue. Thanks for the replies
replacing the sensor is a fairly easy job, I just did mine. I would attempt the job at least that way you won't get charged an arm and a leg. The CPS is the culprit to it cranking and not starting.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:32 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

What was the CPS code?
There are 2 crank position sensors. CPS REF is located just above the crank pully, CPS POS is located on the transmission bell housing and looks at the flywheel.
Being the belt shredded, you might have a crank pully issue which could have also destroyed CPS REF.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:45 AM

Crank pulley is wobbleing and destroying your belts, mine ate my belts twice before i bought a new One.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
What was the CPS code?
There are 2 crank position sensors. CPS REF is located just above the crank pully, CPS POS is located on the transmission bell housing and looks at the flywheel.
Being the belt shredded, you might have a crank pully issue which could have also destroyed CPS REF.
The code was the p1335 code which is a relief that points towards the REF CPS.. so Maxinout is correct with the crank pulley most likely being the culprit as im caught up on all my gaskets and leaking no oil. I would replace the sensor, the belts myself but i just want a third party to look at the issue and troubleshoot that it is in fact the crank pulley doing this and finally put this ordeal to rest for good. In good news, the noise coming from my engine wasn't the timing chain like i previously thought so she'll be running nice and quiet when it's all said and done. Thanks for your responses guys i really appreciate it. I feel confident the crank pulley has been destroying my belts. If that's the truth then when the belt tore wouldn't the crank sensor register that and go off? If that's the case wouldn't the sensor NOT need replacing as it's still good?
Old 08-10-2013, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
What was the CPS code?
This
Old 08-10-2013, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Fauken

This
My short answers/questions always get ignored.
I need to work on that I guess.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
My short answers/questions always get ignored.
I need to work on that I guess.
Fakie sorry i neglected to acknowledge your insightful post, thanks for your input