4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Transmission Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 12:25 PM

Transmission Problem?

Hey guys. I got my clutch replaced a few months ago. About 3 weeks ago, I lost first and second while driving. I literally couldn't get into the gear. Before this happened, I had been hearing a light rattling while in those two gears at low speed. I managed to down shift back into the gears, but now the rattling is worse and I also hear a grinding noise while rolling (no acceleration, foot off clutch). I have a feeling one of the bearings went or it's a synchro. A friend of mine suggested I might be low on fluid, which I haven't checked yet, but that should've been checked when I did the clutch. The odd part is, if I'm sitting at idle in neutral, not moving, and I have the door open, I can still hear that light rattle. Any transmission gurus on here? This problem is boggling my mind.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Step 1 - Remove the trans from the engine
Step 2 - Disassemble and inspect trans for damage
Step 3 - Repair or replace?
Step 4 - Install repaired or replacement trans.

Easy, really.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:08 PM

Well my problem is that it's my daily and I have no other form of transport. I just wanted to see if anyone had any experiences like this and had any sort of idea what might be wrong with it.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:07 AM

Trouble shoot. Does the noise go away when the clutch is disengaged, or is it there no matter what? Can you shift into all the gears fine with the car off, or still have trouble with first? Is the gear oil where it's supposed to be, and is it the type it's supposed to be?

Posted from Maxima.org App for Android
Old 10-12-2013, 09:13 AM
SLOW

if the noise goes away when you're sitting there idling and you depress the clutch pedal (which you didn't explicitly say but i think that's what you're getting at) you have a bad input shaft bearing or two. very common problem with this trans and nothing that should be boggling your mind since there is probably a new thread about it every single week. search the forum a little and you'll see what i mean.

you may be low on trans oil, which could be a symptom of the problem or just a coincidence, or it could have helped accelerate the wear on an already compromised bearing. these things snowball. worn bearing causes you to lose oil which accelerates the wear of the bearing, which causes you to lose more oil, etc.

you're going to need to replace the bad bearing(s?) at a minimum if you decide to open the trans up, possibly more, depending on how bad things have gotten in there. Or you can replace the whole trans as a unit.