4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Stalling, knock codes, idle drops - cause?

Old 12-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Stalling, knock codes, idle drops - cause?

So the saga continues.

Recently i had my watery pimp and timing chain tensioner replaced. Since then in the last two weeks ive been encountering problems which may or may not be related.

Basically, there is sometimes a noise coming from the timing chain area of my engine. Very hard to describe, almost like tv static but very hushed and not at all harsh like static. Its like a vibration of some sort - this was happening before i had the car at the shop and having the timing chain/water pump doesnt seem to have affected this issue. I do feel like its not as frequent (comes and goes it seems, not connecting to hot/cold engine or any variable other than *always* at 2500rpm). Any ideas on this?

Now, the bigger issue. A few days ago coming home from work, my car began to throw a code and have a flashing cel as i was a few blocks away from my house. The timing was def being retarded, and a self scan revealed code 0203 (ks). The cel remained off as i idled in my driveway to investigate the problem; however when revving the cel flashed slowly and went away as i let off the gas. Its worth noting the engine felt sluggish (retarded timing if im correct) and the cel was flashing slowly, as opposed to the cel flashing rapidly and the revving being very coarse and choppy as a misfire would cause.

This problem apparently stopped, with no codes or trace of problems, until today. Coming home (coincidently at the same spot) my engine stalled. I was able to steer to saftey and restart the car, which ran perfectly fine with no problem at all the last few blocks home. Remembering the incident a few days ago, i messed with my car and revved in the driveway in neutral (btw 5spd if that matters) and as the rpms fell, the idle went dangerously low. After repeating a few times the idle would fall to 200rpm, struggle, and die.

Now, my assumptions.

I believe the stall while driving was a result of the same problem that happened in my driveway - i shifted to neutral to slow and make a turn, which caused my idle to drop too low and stall (i think - didnt realize i even stalled until i had no power or steering as i was blasting music). This issue, according to my searches, is either a dirty MAF, camshaft pos sensor, temp sensor, or crank sensor. What do you guys think? Could this be related to the waterpump/tensioner, or just coincidental?

In a nutshell, car stalls from low idle, random knock code that fixed itself days prior, CEL blinked slow (on 6 seconds exactly, off 2-3, repeat) rather than fast.

Sorry for the wall of text, hopefully someone can recognize the issue and point me in the right direction!
Old 12-03-2013, 07:16 PM
No more Maximas...

A low idle dropping out to a stall would lead me to clean the TB and IACV to begin with.

FWIW a KS code (P0325, 0304 CEL code) will not cause the CEL to illuminate.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I suppose il do that tomorrow then. Any suggestions on cleaning the maf? I read the low idle stall can also be caused by a dirty maf although im nervous to clean it. I figure cleaning it with a cotton swab soaked in maf cleaner and treating it like its more delicate than a spiders web should do the trick.

Thoughts?
Old 12-04-2013, 05:26 AM

Easy to do, you can use alcohol as well on the element with a cotton swab. Maf cleaner works well to.