4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Odd electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 09:42 AM

Odd electrical problem

Okay guys. Recently, my horn switch started to stick. So, as a temporary fix until I can hit a junkyard, I unplugged my horns. Not sure if this is related to my current problem, but I figured I'd tell you guys anyway. My current problem is that my battery keeps dying. I just recently replaced it with a new one and replaced my ground terminal. I also replaced my positive terminal months before. And it doesn't happen constantly. It only happens maybe once or twice a week. I jump started it Monday evening, let it run, then Tuesday morning it was stone dead again. I have no idea what the problem is. Anyone have any ideas? If you need any further information, let me know. I know I didn't tell everything I just can't remember every single detail at this moment.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:09 AM

check ur battery, its probably an old battery and not holding its charge. thats what happend to mine and so i bought a new battery, i can leave the car 3-4 days without starting and it'll start right up now with the new battery.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:30 AM

Four things to check for:
1) You have replacement battery terminals on the cables.
2) It is always a possibility that the new battery is bad, so get it checked.
3) You want to check the alternator, maybe it isn't working 100%.
4) you might have a parasitic drain on the battery.

Get a voltmeter and start checking things. When the car is not started, check the battery voltage. A good, fully charged battery will measure around 12.5 volts. In your situation, it will probably be less. 11 volts is borderline for the car starting.

Then start the car. The voltage should measure around 14.2 volts if the alternator is good. If the voltage reading is less than 13.8, the alternator has a problem.

Let the battery charge all the way and turn the car off. Measure the battery voltage. It should be over 12 volts. Wait about an hour (preferably more) and measure the battery voltage again. If it is down from the previous measurement, we have to figure out if it is a battery problem or a parasitic drain. Quick way is to get the battery tested. Not so quick way is to charge the battery and measure the voltage. Then disconnect a battery cable. 8+ hours later, measure the voltage again. If the battery is good, there should be no to very little change in the voltage reading.

Let us know how this tests out.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:25 PM

Sounds like a parasitic drain. Probably because of your horn switch is always on. Remove your horn relay and you should have better luck.

If the horn switch is on the horn relay is always energized probably causing your drain. If the horn relay is always energized your will hear/feel it click on/off when you remove or install it.

It can be dangerous riding around without a horn so consider getting that fixed.

If that does not help you may what to review a few of these.
http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?...=3029538&pp=25
Old 01-18-2014, 02:07 PM

Sorry I didn't update you guys. I changed the battery for the correct battery, seeing as Advance originally gave me a 35 instead of a 24F. So far I have no problems and I've had the battery in there for 2 weeks. We'll see if anything else happens over the coming months.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:44 PM

Your horn might be unplugged, but the horn relay is not. the relay is probably drawing a constant .25 A or more. pull the relay and you should be good.

Your whole problem might be a bad relay sticking.