4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Does any one here speed literaly every time you drive?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 02:37 AM
Honda Convert!

Originally posted by marsbar
The Maxima is magical... How can you drive this car slow...??
I wants to be raced.. I try sometimes.. but just cant...
Good point everytime i try to drive slow my car yells at me to step on it. I hate when she does that it seems to get me in a lot of trouble.

Bruce
Old 01-21-2002, 06:28 AM
U wanna try me young boy?

I have a simple freeway rule - Never be the fastest. The only times I've been pulled over it was doing 15+ over, and I was the fastest(pulled 3x in 4 yrs, got 2 tickets, talked out of 1).

Nowadays I don't exceed 10mph over, and only if everyone else is doing the same. I usually do all my freeway driving in the 1st lane, because nobody in Ohio will saty in the 1st lane - they always join the freeway and immediately merge to the 2nd lane, leaving 'my' lane clear...

If I need to get around a clump of traffic to reach a merge I have been known to reach 100mph but never for more than 1/4th of a mile. I use the following tips to watch out for police;

1) Drive as fast as you are comfortable, but never cut people off. And understand that other people are not aware of your speed so you have to drive 5x more defensively.

2) People always brake when they see a cop. Keep an eye on the horizon, and if more than two people (especially adjacent lanes) brake at the same spot, then there is SOME reason to slow down - prolly a cop.

3) Remember their favourite spots. On my commute there are 5 spots thet have cops at least every 3rd journey.

4) Always scan the median strip and the sides of the freeway for parked vehicles - slow down until you can ID. Don't go over the brow of a hill or around a corner at 25mph over or you're asking for a ticket.

5) CB Channel 19, baby - I sometimes get 50 miles warning of a speed trap... sorry 'Speed Enforcement Checkpoint'.

6) I just ordered a Bearcat BCT12.

7) Don't let your gaurd down. If you can't spot a cop 1/2 mile away then you won't avoid a car 4 feet away. If you can't keep your gaurd up then drop your speed. I have passed many cops that I simply didn't notice in advance because I was doing other things, and I'm glad I was only 5-10mph over at those times...

7) A cop who is closing on you in the oncoming lane gives you only half the warning of a stationary cop, so better make sure that radar detector is on!

8) Laser detectors only tell you when you've been scanned already. But they currently can only be used from a stationary location, so you should see them well in advance (if you follow #4)
Old 01-21-2002, 09:13 AM

Originally posted by Scruit
I have a simple freeway rule - Never be the fastest. The only times I've been pulled over it was doing 15+ over, and I was the fastest(pulled 3x in 4 yrs, got 2 tickets, talked out of 1).

Nowadays I don't exceed 10mph over, and only if everyone else is doing the same. I usually do all my freeway driving in the 1st lane, because nobody in Ohio will saty in the 1st lane - they always join the freeway and immediately merge to the 2nd lane, leaving 'my' lane clear...

If I need to get around a clump of traffic to reach a merge I have been known to reach 100mph but never for more than 1/4th of a mile. I use the following tips to watch out for police;

1) Drive as fast as you are comfortable, but never cut people off. And understand that other people are not aware of your speed so you have to drive 5x more defensively.

2) People always brake when they see a cop. Keep an eye on the horizon, and if more than two people (especially adjacent lanes) brake at the same spot, then there is SOME reason to slow down - prolly a cop.

3) Remember their favourite spots. On my commute there are 5 spots thet have cops at least every 3rd journey.

4) Always scan the median strip and the sides of the freeway for parked vehicles - slow down until you can ID. Don't go over the brow of a hill or around a corner at 25mph over or you're asking for a ticket.

5) CB Channel 19, baby - I sometimes get 50 miles warning of a speed trap... sorry 'Speed Enforcement Checkpoint'.

6) I just ordered a Bearcat BCT12.

7) Don't let your gaurd down. If you can't spot a cop 1/2 mile away then you won't avoid a car 4 feet away. If you can't keep your gaurd up then drop your speed. I have passed many cops that I simply didn't notice in advance because I was doing other things, and I'm glad I was only 5-10mph over at those times...

7) A cop who is closing on you in the oncoming lane gives you only half the warning of a stationary cop, so better make sure that radar detector is on!

8) Laser detectors only tell you when you've been scanned already. But they currently can only be used from a stationary location, so you should see them well in advance (if you follow #4)

I want to move to Ohio! In NY everyone loves to drive 50 in
thr left lane.. I agree,I try not to be the fastest on the HW.
I usally pace the fastest car. Radar D. dont do much good in NY.
Cops turn in on @ the last second.. Ive been burned many times
with a RD.

I love to find that long stretch
i can hit 125-130 for a short period to remind me
the car (with 150K) can...
Old 01-21-2002, 10:04 AM

My problem is I no longer notice my speeding. Like I will just be driving look down and then it is like "Oh... I am now going 20 over". It has been going on for years and I have to make a noticeable effort to go the limit but then it feels like I am going too slow.

Except for in snow. I go slow in the snow, you have to respect it or it will teach you a hard lesson.

SuDZ
Old 01-21-2002, 03:33 PM

I got modded in July of last year......got first speeding ticket in 5 years one day later.....70 in a 55....just something that happens!!!! Magic I assume.
Old 01-21-2002, 04:07 PM

Oh do I ever speed. My morning commute is half down 45 mph roads, usually with no cars. I don't go past 70 usually, and I have only seen a couple of cops, but no speed traps.

Another section is on a long straight 55mph road, and with the exception of one hiding spot, I take it up to 80 or more for the next 1/4 miles, then back to a section of 35mph road with lots of traffic, everyone usually drives about 10 over, and there are cops on this raod, i just go with the traffic.

I'm going to get nailed one of these days.