4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Only Drivers Side Courtesy Light Won't Work?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 10:48 AM

Only Drivers Side Courtesy Light Won't Work?

Hey, I was installing LED strips in my car to act kind of like a brighter step light, but the positive and negative wire touched when I was checking what wire needed to go where. I heard a pop, and noticed just the drivers side light doesn't work anymore. I checked fuse 26 and 56 and neither are blown. Can someone tell me why just the drivers side step light won't work? Thank you for any input.

Posted from Maxima.org App for Android
Old 02-09-2014, 11:11 AM

Please disconnect the power before working on your vehicle.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:34 PM

Yes, i know, but I had to see which side was positive on the LED strip, so I left it on, but it slipped when I was checking.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:41 PM

try putting a different bulb in the socket. maybe it burnt out?
Old 02-09-2014, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Nissanserguy
try putting a different bulb in the socket. maybe it burnt out?
I have led strips on that side and they're all out. I'm able to move around a wire on the BCM, and every now and then the key ring will light up brighter, so I think its a short or break in the first half foot of wire or so.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:04 PM

Well, i replaced the section of wire i thought had a short, and it didn't do anything. What are the chances i messed up my BCM? Or is there any possibility something else is messed up in it?

Old 02-09-2014, 04:12 PM

You're not going to like this - you blew out the master power window switch in the driver's door.

That step lamp is wired weird. One side is connected to the battery (through a fuse) and the power window switch grounds it out to make it light. The transistor in the window switch that grounds out the light bulb is delicate and can't handle the amount of current a short creates.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:36 PM

But my master window switch works perfectly fine. All windows roll down with it and i can lock and unlock the doors with it. Or does all of that still work, and it just messes up that portion of the switch. I'd rather have to replace a window switch than a BCM, though.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
You're not going to like this - you blew out the master power window switch in the driver's door.

That step lamp is wired weird. One side is connected to the battery (through a fuse) and the power window switch grounds it out to make it light. The transistor in the window switch that grounds out the light bulb is delicate and can't handle the amount of current a short creates.
Well, I had another Maxima at my house and took it's window switch to try it, and you're right. thats the problem. Now, is there any way to fix it, or does it have to be replaced? Surly I can just replace the transistor? Also, thank you for telling me what was wrong with it.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:07 PM

I don't know if the window switch can be repaired in an economical manner, but I rather doubt it. I've never opened one up and more importantly, I have never found any information like circuit diagrams for the insides of the switch.

The window switch has a microprocessor inside it. It communicates with the BCM via a type of digital data communications. The BCM tells the switch to lock or unlock the doors, light the step lamp and roll down the windows from the remote. It's too bad that Nissan didn't design it a little better.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I don't know if the window switch can be repaired in an economical manner, but I rather doubt it. I've never opened one up and more importantly, I have never found any information like circuit diagrams for the insides of the switch.

The window switch has a microprocessor inside it. It communicates with the BCM via a type of digital data communications. The BCM tells the switch to lock or unlock the doors, light the step lamp and roll down the windows from the remote. It's too bad that Nissan didn't design it a little better.
Alright. Well, thank you very much for all of your help. I'd rather replace a window switch than a BCM. Haha. I'll find some time to go to the junk yard and get another switch.