4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

95 Max. Courtesy lights wont light both doors

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 07:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

95 Max. Courtesy lights wont light both doors

I shorted both the drivers and passengers side courtesy lights. I have read other post about the window switch but my windows and locks all work fine. I've also noticed that since these lights don't work neither does my glove box light. Any ideas?

One other problem is my cruise control switch will not light or turn on the cruise. I have swapped the relay under the dash and still nothing. Anyone know what I should check before replacing the switch?
Old 02-13-2014, 08:34 AM

You shorted teh lights...did you but in a good bulb? Or are you doing LED? And yes, everything else could still work and the window switch be bad regarding the door lights...separate circuits.

Has your glovebox light ever worked?

Your cruise, grab a new switch if you want, but I doubt it's the switch. Check the relay under the HOOD.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

check all fuses
Old 02-13-2014, 08:50 AM

The window switches do multiple functions. By their name, they of course operate the windows, they operate the door locks and they do operate the step lamps in the door. They also communicate with the Body Control Module via a type of digital data communications.

Unfortunately, you have found out the hard way that the step lamps are controlled by the window switches. You have read about this, but maybe you should re-read this thread, especially post # 9.

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...wont-work.html

The glove box light has nothing to do with the door lights. It is part of the night time dash lights. So you have to have the parking or head lights on. Once the lights are on, all that is involved is the light bulb itself and a on/off switch on the glove box itself.

There are a lot of things that can keep the cruise control from working, the switches on the steering wheel being a possibility, one of the less likely possibilities. You say that you swapped the relay under the dash without any results. That's because there isn't any relay under the dash for cruise control. There is a relay under the hood in front of the battery.

There is a switch that the brake pedal operates to disconnect control when you hit the brakes. With the age of these cars, it is getting to be a common problem where the small rubber bumper attached to the brake pedal breaks up and falls out. If the car has a manual trans, there is a similar switch on the clutch pedal. While there are several fuses involved with the cruise control, all of these fuses are shared with other parts/functions of the car, so the fuses are probably OK since you haven't mentioned any other problems.

To diagnose the cruise control, download this section of the cruise control and start reading on page 112. A troubleshooting chart starts on page 123.

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/1995/EL.pdf