4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New 1-peice Mesh Grille For Your 95/6 Max.. I Decided To Start Making Them. Read

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2002, 12:38 PM
KCTYPHOON

New 1-peice Mesh Grille For Your 95/6 Max.. I Decided To Start Making Them. Read

this thread is for anyone that is, was , may -be , or emailed me , intrested in having a custom 1- peice mesh grille made for their 95/96 maxima.ive made a few and have had some offers in the past with people wanting me to make one for thier car.im gonna give this a try now that im willing to invest the time so the more people willing the better . i am by no means any type of business so thats explains if the arrangments sound a bit crude or inconviencing. that being said, i want this thread to attempt to answer as many of your questions that i can think of. if after reading this you have anymore, please feel free to respond here, but you will probably get a quicker response if you emailed me directly at kctyphoon@aol.com. please write "grille" under subject so i do not delete it by accident.

(Q)- what is it exactly i do for you??

the service that im offering is transforming your stock 96/96 grille into a 1-peice mesh grille. this is ,in my opinion ,one of the best looking grilles we can have on our cars and no one is making them. the only grille that is similar (if i can even call it that ) , available for us to buy is the stillen smx grill.. i dont feel this grille appeals to many people and with a price tag of $280 , plus the cost of getting it painted ( @ $70) its a little too much for too little if you ask me.

(Q) - whats the difference in appearence between most mesh grilles you see on people's cars and the one i make ?

from 20 or 30 feet away, not much. but im a fanatic when it comes to detail and its how it looks up close that matters most to me. the majority of the mesh grilles you see are made from a peice off gutter gaurd that gets cut to fit inside and OVER the stock grille. in most cases they are zip-tied or wired into place , once again, OVER the stock grille. this is a very fast, effecient and low cost way to disguise the maxima grill.. however, there are a few downsides to this. cuttuing the mesh can leave sharp and uneven edges that dont give it a uniform appearence. zip ties are not the best means for securing it. they are noticeable up close and can be accidently (or deliberately) broken or taken off . also, at a close distance , you can see through the mesh, and notice the stock grill in back of it, especially where the emblem is or use to be. that part of the grill is a solid flat peice of plastic and can be easily seen close up in most cases..i am not trying to say this isnt a good idea to make for your maxima. by all means i think it is. lets face it, the factory grille is far from stylish. some people either dont have the patience to do this or the confidence to try. the grille i can make for you is much more involved and goes a few steps fearther in the making andp; the finished appearence. for the most part, all of the factory honeycomb is removed, and instead a peice of formed mesh is fitted and epoxied in place. the ends are beveled inwards ( towards the engine) giving it rounded edges with a more "finished" and detailed look while providing a good surface for an adhesive to make sure its permant and cannot come out. trust me when i tell you this will never come out...

(Q)- how much of the stock grill do i remove?

i remove almost all of the plastic honeycomb of the factory grille. only the bottom perimiter and a few vertical peices are left in order to keep the grille's factory shape and to provide the mesh with support in case something were to hit it . this will keep the mesh from denting.

(Q)- how long does it take me to do this??

ive done a few of them already, so i basically have a system down that i know works well. as i stand now, if i were to make one , i would spend about 9 - 12 hours on one. of course this is taking my time, and allowing time for paint and glue to dry. i dont rush.. rushing leads to mistakes and the only one that suffers in the long run is me becase id have to fix it or make a new one. when i do this i want perfection. i dont want to leave anyone unhappy. i dont want people feeling they got ripped off. i dont want threatening phone calls or emails. and i dont want the reputation of doing half-@ssed work. i take pride in what i make. your work is your signature.

(Q)- what does this grille look like already ??

if youve been on the board for a while you may have seen pics of my car when i had the ability to attach pictures for you to download. anyway, i have about 14 pictures i can send you of the grille in different stages of the making, the finished product, how it looks on the car at different angles, and close ups.. when i say close up i mean CLOSE. about 10 inches away from the corners and sides at different angles so you can see the quality and precesion of this without a doubt.. there will be no questions left in your mind.. im not good with computers, i am not a web designer, i dont have a website to host all these, and i havent even got a clue where to begin if i wanted to. if anyone is gracious enough to host about 14 pics or so with good quality and could provide people with a direct link to make it easier for everyone too see , it would be much appreciated.. until then im just gonna stick with emailing them.. you can email me directly at kctyphoon@aol.com . please write " grille" under subject so i dont delete it by accident. also, if you know the best format i can send it to you please tell me so its faster for both of us. if you have aol i can foward them all individually with the pics inserted, or i can send them attached or as a zip file if you have a different internet provider, just tell me which one you would like.

(Q) - what about different color mesh?

the one in all this pics is balck.  but i can make them just about any color you want. black ,white, sliver, yellow, beighe.... these colors i listed are not nissan colors just suggestions. the black matches just about perfect.. id suggest the black, but if you want me to do another color i will... i use a good adhesion promoter to coat the mesh to give the color a better surface to stick to so it wont chip like regular paint. what i use for the colors is appliance epoxy. it sprays on like paint, but dries much harder . this will resist most chips . the epoxy is available in any home stores so if it did chip down the road you can easily touch it up.i take my car through an automated car wash and they use pressure washers.. the paint has never come off in there. road chips are unaviodable, but the adhesion promoter and epoxy keeps it minimal..

(Q) - what do i need from you ???

what i need from you is your stock grille . i know this is gonna suck, but you would have to take off your stock grille and ship it to me if you werent local. yes you would be stuck for a short time driving around without a grille, but like i said earlier, i am by no means an established business and im sorry but i do not have a "stock " with a grille of every color .. you sending me your origianl keeps the price down far less than that of others replacment ones you can buy. doin a core trade in is not fair to either of us. like i said , i dont have a stock of these and i dont think its fair to either of us, especially when i dont know what the condition of the grille is that you'd be sending me. i wouldnt want you to send me a freshly painted grille, and me have to send you back an older looking one or vise - versa. its just not fair. at least this way you know exactly what your getting back , the conditon its in, and that it already came off your car so it will match perfect. the less complicated we can keep this, the cheaper and faster i can get them done. worst case, if i were to do something that damaged your grille, either i would pay for the repairs,or buy you a new one. i want to keep evryone happy , by scumming someone over im only hurting myself in the long run . im gonna estimate for now that if you shipped your grille to me, i could have it back out in a few days and probably at your house a week after I recieved it. not after you sent it out, but a week after it made it into my hands.. i dont think thats outrageous seeing it takes some companies longer just respond to your emails.

(Q) - how do we work this out ??

easy ..... drop me an e-mail.. we make it definate... ill send you my address so you can ship it along with my cell phone number so you can talk to me directly instead of just reading / writing e-mails if you wanted to talk to me. you pay to ship it to me, i pay to ship it back.. priority mail would cost about 5 bucks, regular shipping about 3.. im not about the try and make more money off anyone with some retarded shipping charge.. lets be realistic, how hard is it to put in a box? all you have to do is take the grille off and make one trip to ups. if you need instructions how to remove it im sure you can search or ask on this forum and plenty of people will be more than willing to help you. thats what this forum is for and its not like ill be gettin rich off this. i just finally decided im willing to do it . i just want to make it worth my effort and keep it affordable.

Old 01-20-2002, 12:39 PM
KCTYPHOON

(Q) - ok... how much ??

someone emailed me yesterday and i told them 140.. i got an offer of 200 to make one for an eclipse.... i changed my mind and decided that $120 is a better price for everyone... money orders would work better and faster . it eliminates any questions of checks clearing or bouncing that would hold us both up for what we wanted. i wanna try and get as many peope invloved as i can.. id actually be real proud of myself if i can get more of my grilles on a maxima in here than stillen or trendz did.. its pretty cool if i can compete with some major companies in here with something im making by hand. mine is pretty damn cheap in comparison. ill even mount your front emblem back on it for you if you want. personally i think it looks better without it. thats the reason i made the first one for me .

------ PRO'S VS. CONS ------

(P) you get a sick lookin grille for way less than half the price of an aftermarket one
(P) when you get it back, its ready to install. you dont need to spend the extra time and money to get it painted
(p) its a permanent mesh grill.. it wont come off and looks alot better and more profesional than a fast "cut and paste " job.
(p) ill paint the mesh for you
(P) you get to deal with me, the person making it, rather than someone answering phones or emails. theres no bull$hit here.. its and honest and fair deal. you wont be disappionted
(P) its not like im gettin paid by the hour for this, its a set price, i can take my time and do a good job. if i was only intrested in making money i could work overtime at my regular job and make alot more than i will off the time id spend making one grille.

(C) you'd have to live without having a front grille on your car for a few days.
(C) you have to make a trip to ups.

any questions , comments, suggestions, or to reach me email me at kctyphoon@aol.com , write "grille" under subject, and for pics please include what method you would like me to use to send them. seperate pics inserted or attached, or a zip file.. if you're not intreseted in having me make one for you but have a question feel free to ask. im tryin to do my part to help this community expand just a little bit more..

thanks for taking the time to read this.. as of now i have 3 people seriously intrested in doin this. if i have any updates ill post them here...

Old 01-20-2002, 12:54 PM

Jesus thats a long post!

Anyway something about Grills, do you have pics?
Old 01-20-2002, 01:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by gtr_rider
Jesus thats a long post!

Anyway something about Grills, do you have pics?
Uh it was a long post because he was trying to explain everything and get people interested. I would do the same thing. I think that post was very clever!

And did you not read the post?? yeah he's got pic's! If you want to see them EMAIL him!
Old 01-20-2002, 01:40 PM

Very good write up.
Old 01-20-2002, 01:57 PM

I had my grill made by Kctyphoon and i just wanted to say what a professional job he did..and also that i would recomend anyone thinking about getting there grill done to have him do it...i dropped my grill off to him on a saturday afternoon and had it back the next day....when i picked it up i couldnt believe the job he did on it...it looks like it came straight from nissan...and i wouldnt be writting this if it wasnt true cause i'm one of the most anil people you have ever met when it comes to my car...well thanks again KC!!!
Old 01-20-2002, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by MaximaGirl18

Uh it was a long post because he was trying to explain everything and get people interested. I would do the same thing. I think that post was very clever!

And did you not read the post?? yeah he's got pic's! If you want to see them EMAIL him!
Are you talking to me? I sent an email already, so dont be cool
Old 01-20-2002, 02:09 PM
Granny Driven

Originally posted by RidinOnChrome
I had my grill made by Kctyphoon and i just wanted to say what a professional job he did..and also that i would recomend anyone thinking about getting there grill done to have him do it...i dropped my grill off to him on a saturday afternoon and had it back the next day....when i picked it up i couldnt believe the job he did on it...it looks like it came straight from nissan...and i wouldnt be writting this if it wasnt true cause i'm one of the most anil people you have ever met when it comes to my car...well thanks again KC!!!
Ive seen your and KCs grill. It was a good job. I was wondering how it would look on the 97 max?
Old 01-20-2002, 02:17 PM
KCTYPHOON

Originally posted by 190hpKiLLA

Ive seen your and KCs grill. It was a good job. I was wondering how it would look on the 97 max?
the only reason im making them just for the 95/96 is well, because thats what i have. i dont have a 97 grille that i can take off and hold in my hand, and take a few hours to think of what the best way for me to try and make it work well. if alot of people show intrest for the 97/98/99 grille mabye ill try and get one from a junkyard so i can expirement. im not about to tell anyone "yes i can do it" and turn theirs into the guinea pig. chances are i can, but i want to be in complete confidence before ill do one for someone's car. ill see how the feedback is, and go from there.. rite now im just going to focus on the 95 and 96's..

Old 01-20-2002, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by KCTYPHOON
the only reason im making them just for the 95/96 is well, because thats what i have. i dont have a 97 grille that i can take off and hold in my hand, and take a few hours to think of what the best way for me to try and make it work well. if alot of people show intrest for the 97/98/99 grille mabye ill try and get one from a junkyard so i can expirement. im not about to tell anyone "yes i can do it" and turn theirs into the guinea pig. chances are i can, but i want to be in complete confidence before ill do one for someone's car. ill see how the feedback is, and go from there.. rite now im just going to focus on the 95 and 96's..
check your mail
Old 01-20-2002, 02:28 PM
MaximaRversion2

Originally posted by gtr_rider

Are you talking to me? I sent an email already, so dont be cool
maybe she has a crush on him JK

Old 01-20-2002, 02:30 PM
Granny Driven

I meant 96 grill into 97?
Old 01-20-2002, 02:36 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Sounds good.

Just want to say, I've seen this grille in person it looks very clean and professional. I probably would have went for it if I had a 95/96, looks much better then the Pontiac/Stillen grille, best alternative for a custom grille to improve the front end look of a 95/96 in my opinion.

kctyphoon, you should do red/clear tailights as well seeing how well yours came out, there is only 1 other person who does them that is known of, actually, DID them, I don't think he's doing them anymore.

jump on this deal people
Old 01-20-2002, 02:58 PM
MaximaRversion2

Re: ...

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
Sounds good.

kctyphoon, you should do red/clear tailights as well seeing how well yours came out, there is only 1 other person who does them that is known of, actually, DID them, I don't think he's doing them anymore.

jump on this deal people
i would buy those too

Old 01-20-2002, 03:16 PM

pictures...?
Old 01-20-2002, 07:14 PM
KCTYPHOON

thanks for all the feedback and support from everyone. rite now gtr_rider is gonna hook me up and host these pics for me. it'll make everything easier for me and everyone else. i got about 10 emails just from this afternoon. 10 emails x 14 pics is alot for me to sitdown and do. plus the fact that this computer has serious problems. it takes a few seconds for the letters just to show up on my screen so i cant even see what im typing so just imagine how long it takes me to send out 140 emails.. sorry but i didnt think id have a fast turnout like this.. im trying here bare with me..

Old 01-20-2002, 07:34 PM

Old 01-20-2002, 07:36 PM

Old 01-20-2002, 07:37 PM

Old 01-20-2002, 07:42 PM

Old 01-20-2002, 07:55 PM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

Sent you a email. That grille is sick.
Old 01-20-2002, 08:16 PM

Old 01-20-2002, 08:22 PM

Old 01-20-2002, 08:55 PM

Old 01-21-2002, 04:47 PM
KCTYPHOON

bump..

Old 01-21-2002, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by Iilac
can you stop that
Old 01-21-2002, 05:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am soo in
youve got mail
Old 01-21-2002, 05:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That grille is sick.
Old 01-22-2002, 06:00 AM

Re: New 1-peice Mesh Grille For Your 95/6 Max.. I Decided To Start Making Them. Read

I think its a great idea. Can someone help this guy post a pic so we can all see the finished product.
Old 01-22-2002, 03:08 PM
KCTYPHOON

the pics are right at the top of this page.. gtr_rider posted them for me...

Old 01-22-2002, 03:33 PM

the pics are right at the top of this page.. gtr_rider posted them for me...
Old 01-25-2002, 05:14 PM
KCTYPHOON

bump again.. just in case anyone missed it...

Old 01-25-2002, 05:56 PM

to upload the pic......all u have to do is upload it onto a server, like geocities or some thing and then give us the link to those pages.....this is the easiest way i guess
Old 01-25-2002, 06:02 PM
KCTYPHOON

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
to upload the pic......all u have to do is upload it onto a server, like geocities or some thing and then give us the link to those pages.....this is the easiest way i guess
pics r posted on page two..