4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Someone tried stealing my 97 maxima se

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 03:16 PM

Someone tried stealing my 97 maxima se

I came out to my car and was going to use the key to open the driver door (which I usually don't do, instead I use the remote) and noticed the key slot was horizontal instead of vertical. I tried putting the key in and turning it, but all that did was reset it to the vertical position, other than that the key didn't turn left or right. The passenger side was also in a similar condition, but fortunately the key was able to turn the lock after being freed from the horizontal position and unlocked the car...at least I think. The ignition as far as I know wasn't touched so I'm thinking they couldn't get in. What confuses me is since the key cylinder was turned how come they couldn't get in?

I've already fixed the driver cylinder...turns out the first plate didn't go down completely not allowing it to turn.

I'm also curious as to when you insert a key into the cylinder the plates go down instead of popping up?

And what is that white electronic thing that's connected to the cylinder? It looked like the only way it was connected to the cylinder was from a screw...what good does that do?
Old 04-28-2014, 03:59 PM

what direction to unlock door?

I think I might have changed the direction you turn the lock to open or lock the door for the driver side, lol..if that's possible.

It currently turns clockwise to open the door whereas the passenger is turn counter clockwise...
Old 04-28-2014, 04:05 PM

lol, wtf...reading the manual it says unlock is clockwise...my passenger side which I did NOT take apart unlocks COUNTER clockwise...guess it's opposite for the opposite side..

Last edited by blehbleh; 04-28-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:30 PM

I doubt anyone tried to break into your car.
It's not hard if they did.
My assumption is that you just never noticed before.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:32 PM

yeah when you use the key to unlock the door you turn it towards the REAR of the vehicle. it's like that with all cars.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
I doubt anyone tried to break into your car.
It's not hard if they did.
My assumption is that you just never noticed before.
Um..I'm pretty sure someone tried. I don't leave the key sideways when taking it out of the slot on both the passenger and driver side..if you could even do that. The cylinder was also severely stuck, I wouldn't have just left it like that. This car and generation is the 3rd most stolen car in my county.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:52 PM

Perhaps they were instead looking to steal some stuff from the car instead of actually taking the car..so maybe they got in, didn't find anything, then locked the car from the inside, but forgot to 'reset' the key cylinders. Maybe the driverside wasn't budging with the screw driver and jammed, but the passenger side did.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:01 PM

was your car in a place where there's not many people around?
Old 04-28-2014, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by blehbleh
Um..I'm pretty sure someone tried. I don't leave the key sideways when taking it out of the slot on both the passenger and driver side..if you could even do that. The cylinder was also severely stuck, I wouldn't have just left it like that. This car and generation is the 3rd most stolen car in my county.
You said you hardly use the lock cylinder.
It does get stiff.

My girl somehow pulls her key out of the door without it being upright quite often.
I am able to unlock it with about anything when she does, but her lock cylinders don't stick like mine..
I assume because I have keyless I use all the time and she does not.

Just sayin.

Originally Posted by blehbleh
so maybe they got in, didn't find anything, then locked the car from the inside, but forgot to 'reset' the key cylinders. Maybe the driverside wasn't budging with the screw driver and jammed, but the passenger side did.
A thief would not waste time locking your door for you and would not break in without seeing something they wanted first.

And I just looked up 4th gen Maxima's being the #3 most stolen like you said and I did find that the '96 is #10, but nowhere #3.
That all belongs to Honda.

Last edited by Fakie J Farkerton; 04-28-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:29 PM

97-99 maxima's #3 most stolen and 96's are #10? whats the difference. Or were u saying that all maxima's r #10

and besides i dont think any thief would "lock" it just to pretend nothing happened.

I think its just in ur head that u think some1 tried to steal something from ur car.

Last edited by JoshG; 04-28-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:15 PM

Ok well I know for a fact I do not leave the keyhole sideways on both doors...clearly jacked up. So if they couldn't get in that stumps me because the angles were clearly past the point of unlocking the door on the driver side. So why try the passenger side?

My car was in-between two houses so they could have tried for hours if they wanted to.

http://albany.patch.com/groups/aroun...alameda-county

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-33934477.html
Old 04-28-2014, 10:14 PM

its called a universal key. It wont start the vehicle but it will unlock the doors and turn the ignition to accessory. Didnt believe it til I saw it...I still have one for the 2nd or 3rd gen. Not guaranteed to work on all but a good portion. The key cut is so generic that you'd be surprised how many keys will turn it to the point.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:58 AM

Mine are all kinds of ****ed up too. Probably old car syndrome.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:57 AM

most likely nobody tried to get into your car, they wouldnt struggle to pick locks when they can just break a window, nd i doubt they would spend time to lock your doors so you wouldnt notice