4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Worst day ever: ypipe wont install, and then clutch completely died

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 06:42 AM

Worst day ever: ypipe wont install, and then clutch completely died

OK, so my morning goes like this. 7:30am I am waiting at the door of the shop for the mechanic, who says he cant do it b/c of the stripped bolt. I take it to an exhaust shop, and they pull it in on the lift(always worries me).. they try to sell me everything they have, they wont install my ypipe because they say its illegal and for off road use only. Then they try and sell me a highflow cat to make it easier, and give me all this runaround BS about if they cut the bolt and put a new one on, I wont be able to get it off?? I was soo sick of them I was ready to leave and said forget it. I was ticked off. They said ok to go ahead and pull my car down and out. I got in. Started it. NO CLUTCH!!!! I couldn't get it to move. This made me soooo mad I guess the guy road the clutch reallllly bad pulling it in or something, I was furious. SO i pushed the stupid car out and called a ride. They told me (the muffler shop) they would install a new one for 350$ labor, and i could get my own parts if I want. I'm calling AAA to have my car towed home,. Bummer is I have to leave for college again(im at home) in a couple hours!! I am so mad.. looks like im taking a dif. car back, that sucks! !

oh yeah did I mention this is like the 100th thing to go wrong on my car, including a hit&run that put her in the shop for 3 weeks?

What brand clutch... ACT street clutch? Factory nissan pressure plate?

-hates his car,
harold
Old 01-21-2002, 07:15 AM

poor guy...i feel your pain brotha....hehe... i thought my clutch went out, but after all my clutch wasn't engaging fully...so i just adjusted master cylinder and it worked...it might be the same for you but it might not. sux that you got problems like the ones you listed above hehe.... i hate it when muffler shop tells me "oh...we can't work on your car because you don't have a cat"
Old 01-21-2002, 07:26 AM

I'm feel bad for you. So that is why you posted that you are sick of maxima and want to wrap it around a tree
Old 01-21-2002, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by mikese
I'm feel bad for you. So that is why you posted that you are sick of maxima and want to wrap it around a tree
haha, yep you figured it out.

I talked to chaz (cbr2 - 5spd conversion guy) and he gave me some ideas...

AZN, how do you adjust the master cylinder like you talked about...? THanks!

H
Old 01-21-2002, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by AznStevie
poor guy...i feel your pain brotha....hehe... i thought my clutch went out, but after all my clutch wasn't engaging fully...so i just adjusted master cylinder and it worked...it might be the same for you but it might not. sux that you got problems like the ones you listed above hehe.... i hate it when muffler shop tells me "oh...we can't work on your car because you don't have a cat"
When I had my Y installed, they just popped it right on and didn't say anything about it being illegal. I just paid them in cash and all was cool.
Old 01-21-2002, 07:47 AM

Originally posted by iwannabmw

When I had my Y installed, they just popped it right on and didn't say anything about it being illegal. I just paid them in cash and all was cool.
yeah after they said they couldnt do the ypipe (dumbasses) they tried to sell me a high flow, or even make a pipe for my "tractor" that was the exact dimensions of my cat to replace it....

?!?!?!?!?!
Old 01-21-2002, 08:19 AM

well..what i mean by adjusting the master cylinder is the little clip that connects to the clutch pedal...you can either bringing out more or put it in more.... u get what i mean???
Old 01-21-2002, 09:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What's wrong with the Y-pipe?
Are you just getting an aftermarket one put on?

You did a 5spd conversion, I would think the Ypipe would be a piece of cake?

Call around and find a speed shop, they usually have no problems replacing parts.
Old 01-21-2002, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by breaux124
What's wrong with the Y-pipe?
Are you just getting an aftermarket one put on?

You did a 5spd conversion, I would think the Ypipe would be a piece of cake?

Call around and find a speed shop, they usually have no problems replacing parts.
I think though he had a bolt that even the shop could not get off for him. Some of them get on there very good.

SuDZ
Old 01-21-2002, 10:19 AM

sometimes y-pipe are hard to get off.... they fit pretty tight on there at least mine did.
Old 01-21-2002, 10:34 AM

Did you fix it yet man??? That sucks monkey ballz
Old 01-21-2002, 12:18 PM

sucks more than monkey *****.....more like sucks rhino nuts .......man - you should have took it to sumthing like midas and have them put it in.....tell them to use s blowtorch on the bolt.....i read sumthing similar to this before a few weeks ago...
Old 01-21-2002, 12:36 PM

Which bolts are stripped? Is it on the upper sections? If so, I don't know what to do, cause it's hard to get up there and those aren't normal bolts. You can't cut those studs.

If it's the bolts that connect to the cat, then just torch them off and buy new hardware.
Old 01-21-2002, 02:15 PM

Damn, I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck. I personally know that the nuts on the exhaust can be very hard to get off. (stripping, breaking, etc.) What really gets me though is your clutch. If you weren't having problems w/ it before I wouldn't think someone could ruin it to the point you've indicated just pulling it into a service bay. Describe the symptoms better. Maybe the exhaust shop bent your shift link or something. Their actions sound real shady and suspect. Good luck w/ it all.
One last thing - my factory clutch lasted until 120,000 miles, not bad, I just had an ACT II installed with ACT pressure plate and love it. It took a little while to get, due to back orders, but now that I have it, I love it. Got mine from Phuong at eatricezone.com
Old 01-21-2002, 02:28 PM

OK, as far as ypipe.. I tried doing it and torched it up hot before I tried the bolts. No luck. Tried penetrant. No luck. Stripped a bolt on the cat. Took it in the shop and they gave me sooo much BS about it I got sick of it and was ready to leave. thats when my clutch screwed it up where it wouldnt engage.

I got it back to school, barely.. now Im waiting on ACT II clutch and plate which I will be installing on my jterm break (jan30-feb4)... the ypipe will go on then too, Ill torch it off(the bolt) and do it myself for crying out loud since muffler shop was a dumbass...

oh well, Im frustrated but oh well.
Old 01-21-2002, 02:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Worst day ever: ypipe wont install, and then clutch completely died

First off, was your clutch already giving out before? This sounds WAY to fishy for you to bring in your car and find that your clutch is totally shot after they touch the car. The BS that they are giving you really means they want to soak you badly. Take it elsewhere. It is very common for the bolts on our exhausts to strip and shops are accustomed to taking them and replacing them. This is standard fare for exhaust shops and doesn't even sweat them. Don't buy into their BS. Take it elsewhere. Don't even mention the stripped bolt. Just put all the bolts back and tell them you want the Y-pipe replaced. By you mentioning the bolt, they think you a **** outta luck and NEED them.

Again, the clutch failure sounds too coincidental unless you tell me that it was giving up before. In any case, I would not return your baby there. I wouldn't even trust a muffler shop to do a clutch...
Old 01-21-2002, 02:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Worst day ever: ypipe wont install, and then clutch completely died

OK, maybe I read you wrong and they are denying to install the Y-pipe solely because it's "illegal." You can find a place that will do it for you (best not to even broach legality), or you can simply say you plan to replace the Y-pipe yourself but want all the old bolts removed and replaced with new ones (and not tightened too tight). This can be done for around $30 per others reports.
Old 01-21-2002, 03:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: Worst day ever: ypipe wont install, and then clutch completely died

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mishmosh
OK, maybe I read you wrong and they are denying to install the Y-pipe solely because it's "illegal." You can find a place that will do it for you (best not to even broach legality), or you can simply say you plan to replace the Y-pipe yourself but want all the old bolts removed and replaced with new ones (and not tightened too tight). This can be done for around $30 per others reports.

GOOD IDEA! VERY SLICK! ITS GOOD TO HAVE THE GIFT OF BEING SLICK?
Old 01-21-2002, 09:20 PM

The front of the converter has studs in it, they are famous for breaking off. When we do that we just burn them out with a torch and put a bolt in its place. The rears are actually bolts but the way Nissan designed them you have to sometimes smack them on the end with a hammer and punch to get them out even if you have them loosened.

If it was me I would have the bolts replaced or burned out. I would look for a mom and pop exhaust shop to put the pipe on but you might be surprised how many Y pipes we ship direct to Nissan dealerships to have them installed.

If they screw up the converter give me a call, we can help. When you run into an exhaust shop like the one you have experienced it really sounds like they are trying to generate some business. These exhaust shops know you have to heat the nuts with a torch to get them off or they will break, when they break a stud it's easier to sell you a new converter than remove the stud. It's about $250 for one of their cats. An honest mechanic or exhaust shop is hard to find but worth finding.

Dallas