4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

99 maxima startup problem... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 06:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

99 maxima startup problem... Help!

I have a 99 maxima SE and my car will not start. Yesterday, I had discovered it had a bad battery and that was why the car wouldn't start. I bought a duralast battery from autozone and swapped it with the new battery. I connected the cables to the proper poles and then it started up like new and also drove it with no problems the same night I had changed the battery. Then the next morning, a slightly different issue arose. The car cranks, but does not start at all. I know it isn't the spark plugs because I just changed them. I don't think it is the fuel filter in the back of the car because I had changed that 2 years ago and also changed the fuel filter in the engine bay a couple of months ago. Now I'm wondering... could it be an alarm issue? For some reason, whenever I try to start it, the security light turns on and it never does that when I try starting it on a normal morning. If any advice or tips on how to fix can be given, I would really appreciate it!!!
Old 06-21-2014, 07:51 PM
Administrator

If you security light is on, it could mean you're immobilized!

Is the light solid or flashing?
Old 06-21-2014, 07:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Actually, the light only comes on when its being cranked. and the light is solid when its being cranked. Not sure if thats normal. When there is no key in the ignition, it only blinks like it normally does.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by The Wizard
If you security light is on, it could mean you're immobilized!

Is the light solid or flashing?
Just looked through the manual and found the nissan immobilizer system and I tried doing the key cycles as directed in the manual with both my aftermarket and factory key. Still get the same result.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:21 AM

Maybe you never noticed light was on before? Sounds like it could be many things. Fuel pump, CPU, crank sensor.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:17 PM

Try disconnecting the battery and leave it disconnected overnight. Lock the doors manually. Then hook up the positive cable first then the negative cable last. Then use your key to unlock the car. Get in the car and shut the door. Then hold the accelerator to the floor and turn on the switch and hit the starter fast. Don't let up on the starter or accelerator until it starts or a couple of minutes has passed.. It might recognize your key is good on the unlock and start attempt. I had a similar thing happen when one of my kids accidentally immobilized my 99 while trying to start it when I had the fuel pump fuse out for a maintenance activity (e.g. compression test) with the door open. I let the car sit with the battery disconnected and used the approach above to get past the security light issue the next day. I've read somewhere where accidental immobilization can occur when attempting to start a flooded car with the door open. Since my two immobilization experiences occurred with the door open. I make a deliberate move to only start with the door closed.

Last edited by CS_AR; 06-22-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:33 PM

While this won't fix your immediate problem, I have ordered a VAG OBD2 409.1 cable for $13 and will purchase NissanDataScan2 to test a NATS reset on one on my 99 models to provide instructions for other 99 model owners.

As soon as the cable arrives, I will try a NATS reset test. If this works it will be a good thing for a 99 model owner to keep the cable and NDS2 handy for DIY diagnostics and an occasional NATS reset. Hopefully other owners can avoid paying a tow charge to a dealer + the dealer fee to reset NATS. The idea is for a 99 model owner to do their own NATS reset for less than the cost of a tow charge. Wish me luck on this idea.

Last edited by CS_AR; 06-22-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by CS_AR
While this won't fix your immediate problem, I have ordered a VAG OBD2 409.1 cable for $13 and will purchase NissanDataScan2 to test a NATS reset on one on my 99 models to provide instructions for other 99 model owners.

As soon as the cable arrives, I will try a NATS reset test. If this works it will be a good thing for a 99 model owner to keep the cable and NDS2 handy for DIY diagnostics and an occasional NATS reset. Hopefully other owners can avoid paying a tow charge to a dealer + the dealer fee to reset NATS. The idea is for a 99 model owner to do their own NATS reset for less than the cost of a tow charge. Wish me luck on this idea.
Good luck! And thanks for doing this.