4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 07:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What would you do?

So the other day I was working on my maxima and replacing my swap bar linkage that snapped. I noticed that my cv boot was torn the outer one to be specific. I went into autozone and bought a repair kit that was a uni for 20 bucks. I then got home and was about to start working on it and was debating. Would it just be worth my time and money to just replace the axel that way I have a fresh cv boot both inner and outer. Or should i just be cheap and use the repair kit? One of my friends i was talking to was telling me if im not having problems with the axel dont replace it but then again I am not sure. If you were in my situation what would you do?
Old 06-24-2014, 09:01 PM

The first time two of my CV boots cracked, I just replaced two of the cv boots for under $20. When the remaining boots cracked, I said screw it and bought Autozone axles with a warranty.

Its longer, dirtier job replacing the CV boots than the entire axle.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
The first time two of my CV boots cracked, I just replaced two of the cv boots for under $20. When the remaining boots cracked, I said screw it and bought Autozone axles with a warranty.

Its longer, dirtier job replacing the CV boots than the entire axle.

I did mine like a month ago or so. Definitely best to just replace the axles.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:20 AM

If it's not clicking yet, a rebooted oem axle will be higher quality than any replacement axle. I rebooted my driver side 5 years ago and still perfect. Many aftermarkets vibrate or wear quickly from insufficient hardening.