4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

help please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 03:52 PM

help please!

I have a 99 maxima with 37,000 miles and i am having some problems. I have aftermarket 17in rims and i have had them one for about 25,000 miles. The last few weeks the wheel started to squeek and it my tire was making a lot of noise i could like hear the road a lot like if it was like a wind blowing or something and today i took it to the place where i bought my rims and had them check it out, they said that my tires were bad and my shock was causing this and it was the cause of the sound (i didnt believe them) so i went to firestone where they lifted the car and cleaned my brake pads and that got rid of the squeeking noise but they said and showed me that my wheel had like bubbles on it. so wat should i believe. after how much time do stock shocks go bad? i have complete stock suspension and i changed my brake pads about 10,00 miles ago
can anyone help. sorry for the length.
Andy thanks
Old 01-24-2002, 04:08 PM

did they start squeeking when u break?? - or they just squeek whenever its rolling??
Old 01-24-2002, 04:12 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
did they start squeeking when u break?? - or they just squeek whenever its rolling??
IT'S SPELLED:

B-R-A-K-E

Misspellings and poor grammar make you seem like an idiot.
Old 01-24-2002, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg

IT'S SPELLED:

B-R-A-K-E

Misspellings and poor grammar make you seem like an idiot.
Old 01-24-2002, 04:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: help please!

Originally posted by MaXAnDy
I have a 99 maxima with 37,000 miles and i am having some problems. I have aftermarket 17in rims and i have had them one for about 25,000 miles. The last few weeks the wheel started to squeek and it my tire was making a lot of noise i could like hear the road a lot like if it was like a wind blowing or something and today i took it to the place where i bought my rims and had them check it out, they said that my tires were bad and my shock was causing this and it was the cause of the sound (i didnt believe them) so i went to firestone where they lifted the car and cleaned my brake pads and that got rid of the squeeking noise but they said and showed me that my wheel had like bubbles on it. so wat should i believe. after how much time do stock shocks go bad? i have complete stock suspension and i changed my brake pads about 10,00 miles ago
can anyone help. sorry for the length.
Andy thanks
Your shock was causing your tires to be bad?? Hmmmm....are the tires wearing correctly? Unless you really beat up your car, you stock suspension should still be fine...but it all depends on how you drive. Where are these bubbles that you are talking about? On the tire or rim? What kind of rims/tires do you have anyway?
Old 01-24-2002, 04:24 PM

it would squeek when rolling and when i would brake but that went away after they cleaned the pads. i take very good care of my car and dont do anything harsh to it. the bubbles or little humps are on the tire. i have 17in BSA rims federal tires. should they have worn out afer 25,000 miles?
Old 01-24-2002, 04:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i blew one of my struts at 36k on my 96 maxima...the thing bounces all over now....until i put the kyb agx this weekeend....and my 5spd tranny..
Old 01-24-2002, 04:32 PM

What exactly do you mean bubbles on your wheels? If they are on the wheel (i.e. the rim) then you have a dented rim! That's not safe to drive on. You will either have to have the rim repaired or replaced. For a 17" rim, it is not unusual to dent a rim. The 4th gen Maxima's suspension wasn't really cut out for low profile 17" rims and tires...the suspension is underdamped and prone to let those heavy 17's bounce up and down and get damaged on the potholes.

If you have bubbles on the tire, where is it, on the sidewall or on the tread surface? Uneven tire wear on the tread surface in the form of scallops (might be the bubbles you refer to) are due to worn out suspension (i.e. struts). If you have a bubble on the sidewall, it is a defect on the tire and should be replaced promptly. If you do not replace, you risk a blowout.
Old 01-24-2002, 06:10 PM

Re: help please!

When you change rims (bigger aftermarket), don't you need to do an alignment so your tires last longer?
Old 01-24-2002, 06:13 PM

the bubbles or lumps arent on the wheel(rim) they are on the tire and its on the tread surface it is most likely scallops like eric said its like my tire isnt entirely even on the surface anymore and has little bumps. I dont think its the strut because the ride is perfect its just that the tires are really loud. Is it common for ties to wear out after only 25,00 miles? or might it be something else.
thanks for all the info so far.
Old 01-24-2002, 08:44 PM

bump
Old 01-25-2002, 05:38 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

CUPPING

What your seeing on your tread is called cupping. And it does make the tire very loud. A few things can cause this.

1) Poor wheel alignment
2) Bad suspension components - most likely the strut is weak
3) Improper tire inflation (low pressure plays havoc on tires)
4) Lack of rotation. Usually on a FWD car the rears will cup if they are never braught up front.

Have a shop check your struts and get a wheel alignment AFTER you get the struts replaced. Chances are one or possibly both are weak. You need to replace them as sets. And also you need to replace the tires. Once it's cupped, there's no fix.