4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rust on 99 Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 06:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rust on 99 Maxima

Hello everyone! This is my first post.

Anyway to the point. What I want to know is would it be worth it to repair off any if not most of the rust off my Maxima? It's a 1999 SE Limited black interior, cloth, and auto. Car runs perfect and with only about 120k miles on it. Though the right passenger side has a little dent on it. I'm also planning to put a lip on it, mesh grill, some new tires and rims in the near future. If it's not worth repairing the rust should I just leave it the way it is and just add in the new mods to it? Or should I just not put any mods to it and drive it till I have enough cash to get myself a better car? I like the looks the car and I don't mind it driving it all stock either. So please could anyone help? I'll post pictures tomorrow.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:58 AM

How bad is the rust? Im assuming you have rust on your Rad support. That would be the most important part to replace first as the rad support is supported by the cross member which also supports your engine I believe. My 97 gxe's cross member is currently bolted to NOTHING. Needless to say, I am getting rid of it. You have a low milegae 4th gen, Are you planning on keeping it for a long time? If so I would say yes do it. But keep in mind that these cars are not worth much. You may be a good driver, but if someone damages/totals your car, and you have put all this money into repairing it, and modding it, you will not get much back. Keep this in mind while thinking about your decision.

Last edited by bumpypickle; 04-22-2015 at 03:03 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:02 AM

Also you have a 99, First year our cars came with NATS (nissan anti-theft system) be very careful about how you go about unlocking/opening your car. Your particular year and only your year have a problem with immobilizing itself. Let your family know as well so they dont trigger it.

Last edited by bumpypickle; 04-22-2015 at 03:08 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by bumpypickle
Also you have a 99, First year our cars came with NATS (nissan anti-theft system) be very careful about how you go about unlocking/opening your car. Your particular year and only your year have a problem with immobilizing itself. Let your family know as well so they dont trigger it.
+1 - In the event it doesn't immediately start, be sure to keep the drivers door closed. I think there is a 3 to 5 strikes rule that will immobilise the car if you unsuccessfully try to start it with the door open. One culprit that happens is when the chip in the key fails. Repeated starting attempts with a bad key will immobilize the car that can result in a tow to the dealer to get NATS reset. Trust me.. I've been there and bought the farm on that one.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

As you can see from the pics that's all how much rust it has. I haven't checked the bottom of the car yet but I have a feeling it's all rust and beginning to fall apart. I live in Minnesota so Winter and the Snow salt is always a pain. Plus with humid rain. Also this car is always sitting out on the driveway. Exactly where you see in the photo that's where I always park. The garage is full so I had to keep the Maxima outside.

I am not sure if I am going to keep this car for a long time. This one old lady who usually goes to where I work drives a 240sx 1997 (I know surprisingly) told me she might sell it to me. She has my number but I have a feeling she isn't selling it. Also debating should I keep the Maxima or just drive it until I have enough money for a better car. Or a better used car if I ever get lucky on finding a great deal.

Anyway I may just not mod it at all except just change a bit of the looks. Like the Mesh Grill, Euro Trails, and Lip. That's pretty much all I want to do with it.
Attached Thumbnails Rust on 99 Maxima-maximaorg1.jpg   Rust on 99 Maxima-maximaorg2.jpg   Rust on 99 Maxima-maximaorg3.jpg  
Old 04-22-2015, 06:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Funny story actually. That did happened to me a couple of days ago. Had to tow it to the dealer and they fixed it for me for about $305. Now she's running like new.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:28 PM

How bad is the rust? Im assuming you have rust on your Rad support. That would be the most important part to replace first as the rad support is supported by the cross member which also supports your engine I believe. My 97 gxe's cross member is currently bolted to NOTHING. Needless to say, I am getting rid of it. You have a low milegae 4th gen, Are you planning on keeping it for a long time? If so I would say yes do it. But keep in mind that these cars are not worth much. You may be a good driver, but if someone damages/totals your car, and you have put all this money into repairing it, and modding it, you will not get much back. Keep this in mind while thinking about your decision.

also keep in mind, that if u buy a new car for $30k, and get rid of it you will not get that $30k back, u lose over $15k+ on the car after 50k miles, so whats the point? Do make it look the way u want to, cause either way cars lose $ but in return, your car will look unique and badass! and it wont cost you $15k.. maybe $5k for a good amount of mods.. ya only live in this world once and these cars are becoming nearly "Classic" as approaching 20+Yrs, thats a fun ride to be in! atleast in my opinion.

I know a family member who bought a new car in 09 for $38k, sold it a few months ago for $7k.. with 90k miles, Yeah thats alot of money put into a "Car" A car is a car. could you imagine if u saved that $30k on the side and put $5k in mods, $5k savings for any repairs that come up, rest for who knows?

Last edited by JoshG; 04-22-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by JoshG
also keep in mind, that if u buy a new car for $30k, and get rid of it you will not get that $30k back, u lose over $15k+ on the car after 50k miles, so whats the point? Do make it look the way u want to, cause either way cars lose $ but in return, your car will look unique and badass! and it wont cost you $15k.. maybe $5k for a good amount of mods.. ya only live in this world once and these cars are becoming nearly "Classic" as approaching 20+Yrs, thats a fun ride to be in! atleast in my opinion.

I know a family member who bought a new car in 09 for $38k, sold it a few months ago for $7k.. with 90k miles, Yeah thats alot of money put into a "Car" A car is a car. could you imagine if u saved that $30k on the side and put $5k in mods, $5k savings for any repairs that come up, rest for who knows?
Haha that's what my co-worker said to me. To keep it and it's going to be classic. I do love how car companies designed the cars in the 90's. Like the Skyline, Silvia, Prelude, Subaru wrx, etc. Now cars are getting pretty big. I was just thinking of keeping it forever and keep putting work on it to make it look clean and brand new.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:25 PM

no reason to get rid of a clean car, especially the 4th gen maxima, in my opinion the best looking one out of all. if you just keep the car clean inside and out, there should be no excuse to get rid of it.. all you have to focus on is the problems it will come up, but ur only at 120k miles.. thats baby miles and still plenty more to go.

there was a grandma who has driven her car over 450k miles and put only $50k in that amount of years...im talking about 40-50+ years. and these are the super old old cars, now your talking about late 90's cars that their engines and mods were easy to work on, 4th gen maxima is rewarded top 10 best engines. so.. Yeaaa.

and the new cars are losing its ability to "mod" or customize it. I don't like how bulky they look. but there are still very few new ones that are still quite cool to customize it. but overall, the bulky style is not my type.

Last edited by JoshG; 04-22-2015 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:20 AM
JvG

Josh,

I live out west, in Portland, Oregon

Even though it rains quite a bit, we do not use salt. Lots of nice 4th Gen Maximas here

You might consider saving up and buy a rust free western car. Might cost less than fixing rust issues.

You could drive your rusty car during winter, and the nice car the rest of the time.

Then mod the western car. The car and the mods will last a long time.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:23 AM
JvG

Oops, I thought Josh was the original poster. My reply applies to rust belt owners in general.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:56 AM

AET - You're killing me... where is the RUST ?
Compared to yours, my car should be on it's way to the junkyard for all it's rust, but I'm enjoying driving it every day and having no thoughts of getting rid of it. Don't ask for pictures, it would embarass me.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:58 AM

^ pics please ! lol
Old 04-23-2015, 04:16 PM

Hehe, maybe in a day or two ;-)
Old 04-23-2015, 04:58 PM

I got it over with, but the pics are in the garage... car name is "Fun". That's what Michigan winters do to a car.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by JEB Davis
AET - You're killing me... where is the RUST ?
Compared to yours, my car should be on it's way to the junkyard for all it's rust, but I'm enjoying driving it every day and having no thoughts of getting rid of it. Don't ask for pictures, it would embarass me.
Sorry here it is. Had some time to get more detailed pics of the rust. And also the side dent on the left passenger side.
Attached Thumbnails Rust on 99 Maxima-maximaorg4.jpg   Rust on 99 Maxima-maximaorg5.jpg   Rust on 99 Maxima-maximaorg6.jpg   Rust on 99 Maxima-maximaorg7.jpg   Rust on 99 Maxima-maximaorg8.jpg  

Old 04-23-2015, 05:12 PM

The dents are pretty noticeable, but the rust is minimal. I guess it just depends on what you're used to.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:22 PM

hmm im sure a body shop could pop those dents out and fill it with bondo, and then the rust is left.. then it'll be pretty clean, not much work needed I say except the rust.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:01 AM

i'd just get a new door and see if a shop would repaint it cheaper than pulling the dents out. you can just swap the door innards onto the new door, jy's are your friend.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:52 AM

Your MAX looks new compared to what mine's been through. Had to grind off both corroded rear quarters (inner and outer sections). For replacement I welded on sheet metal, filled with bondo, then 2 step painted them. The lower sections of the corroded front fenders were falling off so I installed new aftermarket fenders after painting them first.

Originally Posted by JoshG
hmm im sure a body shop could pop those dents out and fill it with bondo, and then the rust is left.. then it'll be pretty clean, not much work needed I say except the rust.

Two years ago a careless raised wrangler owner dented my front passenger door when opening his drivers door in a parked spot. It was only half as deep as your dent. His insurance gave me $360 so I first checked the local JYs. They were asking over $100 for the door so I repaired it myself. After removing the inner trim I popped most of the dent out with a block of wood. Filled it bondo then 2 step painted it. With the tools and paint already in stock I made a few hundred dollars after subtracting the time it took.