4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Buy or pass, Oil leak timing belt cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 04:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Buy or pass, Oil leak timing belt cover

Hey Guys, Just joined the forum. I was browsing craigslsit and saw a 1996 nissian maxima higher trim has leather seats bose speakers ext. Car only has 125k

Owner claims he replaced the timing belt but oil is still leaking from the cover. He also says the car bogs down at start up.

So the guy is only asking $400 lol

Honestly was looking to pick this up to flip it as fast as possible.

What do you think is wrong with it?

I know it sounds wrong but was thinking about just taking it to the dealership and trading it in i think trade in is around 1500, So if they wouldn't check all that i could make a very fast bum off the car
Old 04-28-2015, 05:47 PM

A few things:

- We have a timing chain, not belt, so I'm guessing he changed either or both of the drive belts you see on the left side of the engine.
- With only that many miles, the more probable oil leak location is the rear valve cover gasket, which isn't that tough to do compared to a lot of other possible leak spots
- If you are a DIYer willing to learn or know a good mechanic, I may bite on it for only $400
- I'm guessing the dealer is more likely to give you near $1k than $1.5k considering its very old age and oil leak
Old 04-28-2015, 05:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by uttadms31
A few things:

- We have a timing chain, not belt, so I'm guessing he changed either or both of the drive belts you see on the left side of the engine.
- With only that many miles, the more probable oil leak location is the rear valve cover gasket, which isn't that tough to do compared to a lot of other possible leak spots
- If you are a DIYer willing to learn or know a good mechanic, I may bite on it for only $400
- I'm guessing the dealer is more likely to give you near $1k than $1.5k considering its very old age and oil leak
here is the ad:

"96 maxima 125k miles. bogs down at startup. has new timing belt, still leaks from timing belt cover. I was going to pull motor up so as to get better access to timing belt cover for silicone seal but no time.
Decent tan leather interior, heated seats, auto, cd bose. have some odds n ends from crazy rays like pwr antenna, headlights, seatbelt, trim.
Good brakes. Good rear tires.
Some dents, dings and rust bubbles on body.

500 obo great deal. I can drive it to crazy rays anytime.

if this ad is up the car is for sale. No I will not take 200 or 300. Show up with 400 and it's yours."

Do you think that the dealership will check that? So there is a chain and not a belt? could you explain this more ? Thanks so much for your help!!
Old 04-28-2015, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by treys2k
here is the ad:

"96 maxima 125k miles. bogs down at startup. has new timing belt, still leaks from timing belt cover. I was going to pull motor up so as to get better access to timing belt cover for silicone seal but no time.
Decent tan leather interior, heated seats, auto, cd bose. have some odds n ends from crazy rays like pwr antenna, headlights, seatbelt, trim.
Good brakes. Good rear tires.
Some dents, dings and rust bubbles on body.

500 obo great deal. I can drive it to crazy rays anytime.

if this ad is up the car is for sale. No I will not take 200 or 300. Show up with 400 and it's yours."

Do you think that the dealership will check that? So there is a chain and not a belt? could you explain this more ? Thanks so much for your help!!
The timing chain is behind the timing cover...I doubt he'd every go through the process of changing it then sell the car for only $400. I'm thinking he's talking about the 2 belts that run the accessories outside the left side of the engine (power steering, AC compressor, alternator). From what he's writing I'd be hesitant on this one...definitely ask him for maintenance records, and I'd recommend bringing it to a mechanic before you buy it to diagnose the leak and look at the rest of the car, including how it's bogging down at startup.

Last edited by uttadms31; 04-28-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by uttadms31
The timing chain is behind the timing cover...I doubt he'd every go through the process of changing it then sell the car for only $400. I'm thinking he's talking about the 2 belts that run the accessories outside the left side of the engine (power steering, AC compressor, alternator). From what he's writing I'd be hesitant on this one...definitely ask him for maintenance records, and I'd recommend bringing it to a mechanic before you buy it to diagnose the leak and look at the rest of the car, including how it's bogging down at startup.
I was thinking it was too good to be true the car still runs and drives tho, If the timing chain was damaged wouldn't it not run? Due to the timing of the cams being off or it would throw some kind of code?
Old 04-28-2015, 06:26 PM

As stated above, we have timing chains not belts , so:

1. He's full of crap
2. He changed the timing chain and is taking a big loss
3. He changed the accessory belts and is a noob.

If your mechanically inclined, or a good salesman, go for it. It is probably just a valve cover gasket leaking.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by asand1
As stated above, we have timing chains not belts , so:

1. He's full of crap
2. He changed the timing chain and is taking a big loss
3. He changed the accessory belts and is a noob.

If your mechanically inclined, or a good salesman, go for it. It is probably just a valve cover gasket leaking.

I thought the same thing about the valve cover gasket, BUT the did say the car bogs down at start? So what would cause that? couldn't that be by bad timing?
Old 04-29-2015, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by treys2k
I thought the same thing about the valve cover gasket, BUT the did say the car bogs down at start? So what would cause that? couldn't that be by bad timing?
There's no way to know man. I'm not a mechanic but even if I was the car has to be looked at first (e.g. what CEL codes it is showing). At this point either forget about this car, or go through with it and tell the seller you want to have your mechanic look at it first before you spend the $400.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't believe he changed the timing chain. They last a loooooooooooong time on these engines. Mine finally gave up at 396k but I think the tensioner caused it to fail since the chain had been slapping around for a couple hundred thousand miles.