4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Oil leak, Valve cover? is it serious?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 10:21 AM

Oil leak, Valve cover? is it serious?

So I have got an oil leak supposedly.. I kept seeing Water leak out from my A/C as soon as i turn off the car, So i thought "oh no big deal.. but I had people tell me there is a very small oil leak that I myself cannot catch when it leaks.. it does stain the ground, Water doesn't stain the ground..

since I have an very small oil leak, I have looked under the hood and it does look a little messy with the oil leaking around the valve covers, Is this a major concern I should be worried about? I will get it done..Have no clue when. The picture BELOW Is the amount of Oil it has leaked within A week and a half I believe.
Its leaking somewhere Near the exact same spot where A/C water leaks.. Which is the passenger side near the right side tire.. so it got me confused

Name:  clzt6nO.png
Views: 55
Size:  305.2 KB

This small leak has been like this for 2+ years, never ran low on oil.. no problems really. It however Did stain my driveway quite well.. Its a dark color overtime. I thought in my mind that Its just the A/C water staining it cause it drops on the same exact spot all the time, but that doesn't seem to be the case..There is defo Oil leaking sometime after i turn off the car but a very small amount.

I've been told since I dont drive it much, the leak hasn't got any worse I suppose..

myself I rarely drive the car.. drive it 5 a week, Just for work(30 miles total)/running errands, small trips..Got this car about 28 months ago with 125k miles, now its just hitting 136k miles, yeah just 11k miles in almost 3 years lol, Just been trying to avoid putting miles to avoid repairs(?) so i can get the body where I want it. Then I can start driving however i want.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(OFF topic) I'm currently trying to get the body to where I want it so that way I have the body done, Repairing the ugly Driver quarter panel(had the dent when i got it) I have gathered all the parts for the 97 Swap..I am ready to do the job, just got to find a time to do it cause of work..It will be done this summer for sure, Saved up a while for it so i can do it all at once and be good for a while. going for the full black/white look.
Then I can put money away for any repairs, anything that comes up. In my book, If the body is clean, black leather interior new..There is no need to get rid of it, just keep under the hood well maintained. Thats where I am heading to. Just recently got it lowered a month ago on h&R Name:  Scwuvop.png
Views: 54
Size:  398.9 KB
Name:  pMjNYX2.png
Views: 53
Size:  297.9 KB

Last edited by JoshG; 06-09-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:32 AM

Well, for the front (bank 1) valve cover gasket, it is easy to replace, but for the rear (bank 2), it is a PITA to replace mainly because you need to remove intake manifold, but with enough patience, it is not a difficult job to do. I did this last year, took me about 4 hours to do, you may need to replace couple of hoses (6" U-shape coolant hose) in the back of intake manifold and bridge hose between to valve covers. Also, since you are there, you'd better clean EGR tube too.

Last edited by theWalkinator; 06-09-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:45 AM

yeah, since its leaking in the passenger low side, Is it possible its potentially the Rear? doesn't look anywhere near the front supposedly =\ How long can I go with this leak? since its been 2+ years with it already but it doesn't seem to get any worse. Should i be concerned right now?

I had a code for an EGR, but after using 93 octane for 6 months and revving the car hard to 6.5k RPM sometimes... from Valero who supposedly have very good clean gas, my check engine light went off 2 and a half months ago, and never has come back on.. Weird I know. Italian tune up my guess. But I guess I could have them clean the EGR tube/Replace knock sensor? I think my knock sensor works sometimes and sometimes not.. Partially working sensor I have.. I can tell cause it will go to safe mode at somepoint, then it wont be in safe mode anymore.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:14 AM

Bad valve cover gaskets allow slow seeping oil and attracting dirt, if you see a oily dirt along the parameter of valve cover gaskets, they need to be replaced. Our car is 17,18 years old and if valve cover gaskets have never been replaced, they are most likely plasticized already so it is a good idea to have them replaced anyway. But also check power steering pump and hose leaks, they are located in that general area too.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:01 PM

oh okay, What else Could I have them replace or check/clean while replacing the valve cover gaskets? Can these gaskets be from Autozone or OEM? I heard some parts on this car is a must for OEM parts like Mass air flow sensor etc.. I wish I could find all the items that are a must for OEM when it comes to this car and what can be bought and used from autozone.. would help.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:44 PM

If you have a small leak, I really wouldnt worry too much about it, but a bigger leak i would make time to get it fixed. one way of learning how to fix your own car is to start taking things apart. Its not a northstar (ex. 2001 deville) which is a PITA.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:58 PM

Well I mean this leak has been there for 2+ years..but still

When I see its a bit messy around the valve cover under the hood with the oil, I get concerned about that, although Should I be concerned? I checked the oil dip stick about 3 weeks ago and it was still good in oil.

The messy part of it is what gets my mind to me, its not leaking super bad though..
Old 06-09-2015, 01:34 PM

When I bought my car from my cousins husband, he said everything worked. He told me he didn't clean the engine which for me was neither good or bad. Just by looking at the engine and it's components, I can see where any leaks or where the gunk was at. The alternator was covered with oil and dirt, so was the front valve cover and all under by the oil pan. I went ahead and cleaned it with degreaser and a water hose with HOT water. The engine was now clean. So I immediately spotted that the camshaft sensor leaked, and there was still a bit of oil, not a lot, by the dip stick and in the rear valve cover. Nothing to make me want to get upset about. I eventually do want to change the gaskets and everything that eventually will need to be replaced. I want to make a video doing those things, but I tend to forget to record or dont want to say the wrong part and look silly. lol but I eventually will replace the gaskets and whatever. might do it next week.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:32 PM

some pics under the hood, I think this is the spot I can show the exact spot where the Oil Im seeing.. yeah i know its a bit dusty.. Gotta clean it sometime.
Name:  vKRTMV5.png
Size:  397.9 KB

Name:  OJxzjOz.png
Views: 54
Size:  273.6 KB

Name:  EzIMVJN.png
Size:  304.5 KB

Name:  3AQ9m1y.png
Size:  423.2 KB

Last edited by JoshG; 06-09-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Valve cover leaks really arnt the end of the world, as long as its not actively smoking and gushing oil (yes ive actually seen this) its not a big deal. Also make sure the oil isnt getting on the alternator because it will burn it out. Obviously its something that should be fixed, but i wouldnt consider it urgent.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:37 PM

It's never ever smoked anywhere since the beginning, never seen smoke from this car at all, and I'm quite sure its not gushing oil, which means oil leaking everywhere or massive amounts of oil loss im correct? Never seen that so far.. As for the alternator, where is that located? Im sure it's not getting any oil onto it.

As long as it's something I should be concerned or be urgent about it, that'll get me some time to focus, get done with this body work and trying to get the body where I want it before I start my under the hood project. But however like you said.. It's something that should be fixed, but question is how long could I go before it becomes an "issue" or a thing I should be concerned with

I am going the opposite direction anyone really goes.. which should be take care of under the hood first..but I rather get the body done first so I don't give up on the car, cause The body looks is a WANT, But the under the hood is a NEED so.. Going for the body first in my book is probably a good idea.. cause either way if something needs fixing under the hood.. its NEEDED, rather than WANT. I mean this car runs very well to begin with and has no check engine lights.. no issues at all really,
so I can't really say im ditching problems that should be addressed before I do anything else, But this valve cover got me questioning..

Last edited by JoshG; 06-09-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:23 AM

If you only got few drops on the floor in a week, then you don't worry about replacing valve cover gaskets soon, I have that same thing going on for quite few years and engine was running just fine until I decided to get them replaced last year.

My car is over 200k miles and body is in rough shape but I keep the car mechanically trouble free, I use the car as daily commuter and winter beater so I don't really care much about body, and I don't need to worry about the car being scratched or dented in public parking lot.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:24 AM

supposedly, I have a leak on the timing chain o rings gaskets or whatever it is, the mechanic that my family member has known for years that bought cars broken or needed fix to sell...does really good work and told me hes going to replace ALL the gaskets/seals in the car so that it doesn't leak for years..(dont know how many gaskets there are), Believe he said crankshaft too.

And tells me when I drive the oil just splatters everywhere in the back, which I do understand cause I see oil everywhere. Lucky i dont drive that much cause he told me it leaks more when I drive than it just sitting.

told me the job will be $750-800 for the whole job for 2-3 days of work, I'll tell him to clean some stuff or replace items such as a knock sensor I have.. while hes down there replacing All the gaskets.

I believe its the crack seals is what he was describing.

The oil that leaks on the ground is the Plastic part underneath the car.

What Are other items he can clean, replace, while hes replacing all these stuff and has access to many things?

Last edited by JoshG; 06-13-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:56 AM

Half moon seals and oil pump o rings on the upper oil pan.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:58 AM

^ are u saying thats what it is that is leaking? Or a thing he should replace while on the job?
Old 06-13-2015, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by JoshG
What Are other items he can clean, replace, while hes replacing all these stuff and has access to many things?
I was answering this question.
Sorry, should've quoted it the first time around.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:54 PM

oh okay, I added that to my notes to remind him, anything else he could replace as far as non seal related? any sensors? any cleaning he could do?

I'm having him take the car on monday and wont have it back until thursday, friday being the latest

Also I think i saw the alternator has oil on top of it, Could he scrape and clean that oil off it so it doesn't burn it out?

so i need to know.

Last edited by JoshG; 06-13-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:05 PM

well there it goes, my mechanic came today and picked up the car to take it to his shop, Told him to replace the knock sensor I already had if its bad, clean out any carbon...

Will be back in a couple days, Will let you know whats the aftermath of the $800 job I gave him to do! hes a family mechanic that has known for us for 20yrs doing good work of fixing cars and selling them, so I trusted him to take the car.. I wouldn't do it to any other person.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:25 PM

Mechanic just called and said its finished!, 3 days later of work, mostly 2 and a half days working on it. Will be on its way and will ask what was done(pretty much what i described but just to double check and write it down as a maintenance thing, Well here we go... excited, this is my first big job under the hood I have done to this car, Never had a problem with it in 3 years except a dead battery. bad window regulator.. fixed all that, Just had this leak for a good 2years and im sure its gotten worse overtime, so it was time to fix it.

I'm quite positive the leak was there when I bought the car, could be a reason why the owner wanted to sell it(cosmetically It was in good condition except the quarter panel..the black interior smelled brand new and looked new...just needed a couple of minor work under the hood and quarter panel repair to bring it back to "New"
..as I remember it staining the driveway almost its whole life i had it. and got more messy overtime.. first day i had it, It leaked a tiny bit if I remember. But I'm positive its been 2+ years this leak has been there.

Last edited by JoshG; 06-18-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:45 PM

Old 06-18-2015, 07:40 PM

Actually it's not going to be ready until tomorrow, he called today and said it was almost finished and would drop it off, but guess not, rather him do it right than rush it and avoid any mistakes. He said he replaced so many parts, said OIL was Everywhere! Said I'm lucky that it didn't sieze the engine. And it's looking good so far.

Last edited by JoshG; 06-19-2015 at 04:38 AM.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:57 AM

got my car back, oh my... they cleaned the sh#t out of oil that was everywhere and to top it off they clean off any dust, looks almost brand new...idles/runs like new again..had check engine light off, came back with no check engine light so thumbs up for that! This is after $800 of work at the shop.

Changed BOTH valve cover gaskets + clean off old oil

Changed timing chain covers (this caused oil to splatter everywhere before the job)

Changed Knock sensor - Old one was bad, and oh this does make a difference! no more Random rpm going to 1.5k rpm, it seems like it removes the random timing of it dropping to 1.5k rpm... another shop was gonna charge me $290 for this, but thankfully my mechanic changed it while on the job! Worth changing it. However, this doesn't change The effect of revving to 6.5k RPM, It helps stop the random timing to go into safe mode (1.5k RPM)

OIL pressure switch

new Oil pan

NEW OIL Change ! Now im good on oil.. had to change the oil anyway.

i'll take pictures when this freaking rain stops!! the mechanic showed me under the hood for 5 minutes and wow it looks neww!! No more oil everywhere. now I feel relief and confidence to drive it more.. this is my first big job I have done.. it feels so good to let it go and just do it.

NEXT I head onto the body work!! i have all the parts, just got to get it to the shop!

Last edited by JoshG; 06-20-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:53 PM

got some pictures, rain stopped for a bit! will post in a second, there was so much oil before the job, I am amazed how much there was before... they also cleaned off the OIL off the Alternator, So I dont gotta worry about that burning off! but boy it looks really good for a $800 job. considering how much work was put into it.

Those Ebay knock sensors last do they? Thats the one I put on.. but I mean the old one was broken already.

Last edited by JoshG; 06-20-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:57 PM

Old 06-20-2015, 01:37 PM

Congratulations!
Old 06-20-2015, 03:18 PM

Well I turned on the car, while it was warming up it was bogging/ vibrating ,check engine light was flashing and then came on ..and then once it reached normal temp it all smoothed out, smooth idle and no vibrations when it reached normal temp but warming up it was hesitating to warm up
Old 06-20-2015, 03:24 PM

Old 06-20-2015, 03:30 PM

Lol time to check the codes.. Could be spark plugs and wires. Since he cleaned out so much, it effects part like that. Either way I got a warranty from the job and he's a family mechanic so, I think I may need a tune up, it doesn't drive weird after reaching normal temperature

Last edited by JoshG; 06-20-2015 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:42 PM

It could be as simple as a vacuum leak. I've seen a few vacuum leaks reported after VC gasket replacement where the UIM was removed and the hoses are moved.

Do you have a way to pull the code associated with the CEL?

::

Last edited by CS_AR; 06-20-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:49 PM

Yeah the check engine light was flashing while warming up and then once it got to operating temperature it all smoothed out, but then the check engine light stayed on. I'm at work right now but I will for sure check the codes ASAP. Also when I press the gas pedal it feels a little tight/stuck It wasn't like that before the job. I heard it can be dirty throttle body?
Old 06-20-2015, 11:22 PM

So the problem sounds like the spark plugs that have moisture in them cause they cleaned the crap out of it and said it was a common problem from the shop, it was raining pretty hard the past couple days so..

also on light acceleration around at 2k RPM I hear a low volume high pitch sound,.. goes away if i press the pedal harder to 6.5k RPM

The car runs smooth after warmed up, but the vibration and shaking at start up until it reaches normal temp is a no no, and I'm curious about the high pitch sound, since the old alternator had a ton of oil on it and was cleaned off, Could the belt around the alternator be loose or cracked?

Anyway I'm having the same family mechanic to have to take a look at it.

has to be a very minor problem im experiencing. but the big part is that my car isn't leaking oil no more and no more leaking underneath the car...so thats out of the way, now time to deal with this minor problem..

Last edited by JoshG; 06-20-2015 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:13 PM
JvG

Josh,
I'm in my sixties, and the cars we used to drive often leaked some. The gasket materials were not as good as modern cars. If the leak caused consequential problems it would be fixed. if not, feeding its oil habit was far more cost effective.

Every one has an opinion. Mine is that some mechanics look out for their customers, while others find ways to scare customers in order to increase their income. Your leak was not a problem. The work done by your guy appears to have caused more problems.

Sometimes mechanics have a tool I like to call the Automatic Wallet Sucker. It senses how much money you have or care to spend, then finds a way to justify cleaning out the wallet.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
Josh, I'm in my sixties, and the cars we used to drive often leaked some. The gasket materials were not as good as modern cars. If the leak caused consequential problems it would be fixed. if not, feeding its oil habit was far more cost effective. Every one has an opinion. Mine is that some mechanics look out for their customers, while others find ways to scare customers in order to increase their income. Your leak was not a problem. The work done by your guy appears to have caused more problems. Sometimes mechanics have a tool I like to call the Automatic Wallet Sucker. It senses how much money you have or care to spend, then finds a way to justify cleaning out the wallet.

But I'm in my mid 30's...grew up with cars much older than me though.
Sorry to say I agree with the above.

I hope it all gets fixed by him for no extra, as it should.

Sorry man, this sucks.

This kind of thing is why I own my own tools now.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:54 PM

well the mechanic is not some random mechanic that did the work, my family has worked with him for over 20 years, trustworthy and does good work, hes coming tomorrow to see what it is, the job was big so some parts were probably effected..

and told me if anything comes up to just tell him, I got a warranty from the job. so whatever it is, its probably minor.

you only can allow a mechanic to empty your wallet only if you choose to, and that happens...especially if you just throw in parts.

I allowed him to replace all the covers and gaskets cause I want this car to last, If i just wanted to fix the leak..then it would of been just timing chain covers.

Last edited by JoshG; 06-21-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:53 PM
JvG

I would guess that the parts involved could be purchased online for less than 100 dollars.
All the instructions are here. The seven hundred dollars you paid for labor could have bought a good set of tools that could last for decades.

Josh, get a set of tools and get your hands dirty. Have fun like the rest of us. it really is fun to spend the money you would have paid a mechanic on a vacation or something. or beer..
Old 06-21-2015, 04:38 PM

Heh I understand, I'm not the type of person who would touch anything mechanical, I'm not too confidence in it.. I tried it myself and not very good at it. take a look of the vid, I'll upload some more of while driving.

I believe the shaking and vibrating is starting to settle a little better now,its moisture in the spark plugs, and to drive it around so the car can learn and it's been raining a lot the past week,

the check engine light only came on when it was freaking out for the first time when it was shaking and vibrating, I think it was worser when I saw it the first time. But I'm thinking I'm starting to see its starting to decrease the amount of the vibration and shaking little by little, I'm not too 100% on that though, I'm sure the code is going to be "misfire" on spark plug or something like that.. I'm off work tomorrow so for sure I'll check the code out

Last edited by JoshG; 06-21-2015 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:55 PM

Old 06-21-2015, 08:47 PM

Well I just started my car after work tonight and it started better and the shaking and vibrating decreased a lot! It's going away little by little. I believe it was moisture in the spark plugs since they do power wash it to clean it. I definitely notice a difference now.. I remember how it acted and how the seats and steering wheel was vibrating a lot.. It didn't do it that much tonight. Crossing my fingers!!

When it completely stops I'll probaly have autozone check the code then clear it but either way my mechanic is gonna have a look at it, was just the spark plugs wet from the power wash they do to clean under the hood

Last edited by JoshG; 06-21-2015 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:09 PM

Well ok I let the car reach normal temp, drive for 20 mins, turn off car and turn back on, instantly starts and zero vibrations or shaking, starts like new.. And also that 2k rpm pitch thing went away as well. Things are getting a bit better by just driving it and pretty much giving the car a chance to learn itself again especially that big job... So still crossing my fingers and will keep yall updated
Old 06-22-2015, 02:08 PM

Update! The check engine light went off by itself and no longer shakes or vibrates on start up, it was just moisture on the spark plugs. Runs like new!!!! Yay success everyone! Now I can drive confidently in this car
I knew my mechanic wouldn't screw me over or do something wrong.. Especially 20 years. Always nice to have a mechanic you know so those mechanics who lie are the ones who get less service and probably more trouble..

Next I move onto body work!

Last edited by JoshG; 06-22-2015 at 02:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil leak, Valve cover? is it serious?