4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Engine blew unexpectedly.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 05:43 PM

Engine blew unexpectedly.....

Today, I was merging onto the freeway & as soon as I got over, I hear a big pop and smoke was everywhere. I pulled over, called my insurance & got towed to a local ship. They said I had a huge oil leak (oil was literally everywhere). They said I needed a new engine & quoted me $1300 for a rebuilt & around $1500 for a "new" low mileage engine with labor. (3.5 swap is out of the question, sorry.)

I checked online to find a 1999 Cali spec engine and found a few for $800 but with labor, that will run me about $1200. I only had 156,000 miles on the car! My car is a 1999 Maxima & I've had it since June. Sucks that I have to get that replaced.

Now I'm thinking about either getting a new engine, trashing it & getting a new Maxima or just buying a different car. Luckily I have another car I can use to get to work so I have 2 weeks to make the decision. I need some input!
Old 10-09-2015, 05:50 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by LJay
Today, I was merging onto the freeway & as soon as I got over, I hear a big pop and smoke was everywhere. I pulled over, called my insurance & got towed to a local ship. They said I had a huge oil leak (oil was literally everywhere). They said I needed a new engine & quoted me $1300 for a rebuilt & around $1500 for a "new" low mileage engine with labor. (3.5 swap is out of the question, sorry.)

I checked online to find a 1999 Cali spec engine and found a few for $800 but with labor, that will run me about $1200. I only had 156,000 miles on the car! My car is a 1999 Maxima & I've had it since June. Sucks that I have to get that replaced.

Now I'm thinking about either getting a new engine, trashing it & getting a new Maxima or just buying a different car. Luckily I have another car I can use to get to work so I have 2 weeks to make the decision. I need some input!
Could you buy a better car for the same money?

Did you like your car?

Might as well fix it.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:57 PM

I did like the car. I had my little gripes but overall, it was an amazing car. There are a lot of 4th gens in my area I could save up for and get but idk
Old 10-09-2015, 06:00 PM

I did like the car. I had my little gripes but overall, it was an amazing car. There are a lot of 4th gens in my area I could save up for and get but idk
I bought the car for $1750 & recently replace the starter & air filter. I assume the past owner neglected it. I did get it tinted but the car does need rear wheel bearings & hubs and it also needs rotors & pads. It also needs new shocks & springs, along with a new paint job. I'm just trying to see some opinions if it's worth getting a new engine or if I'm just better off getting another Max.

Last edited by LJay; 10-09-2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:43 PM

I bought the car for $1750 & recently replace the starter & air filter. I assume the past owner neglected it. I did get it tinted but the car does need rear wheel bearings & hubs and it also needs rotors & pads. It also needs new shocks & springs, along with a new paint job. I'm just trying to see some opinions if it's worth getting a new engine or if I'm just better off getting another Max.
might as well buy another car, i wouldn't have touched that max with a 100 foot pole to begin with. damn man, i would think common sense would've kicked in ahead of time, no offense.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
might as well buy another car, i wouldn't have touched that max with a 100 foot pole to begin with. damn man, i would think common sense would've kicked in ahead of time, no offense.
It was my first car. I bought it from this guy but he later told me it was in an auction before I got it. It did have a service engine light but since I'm a broke college kid, I didn't get it checked. Now that I have the money, I could've gotten it checked but didn't have the time. So I'm just trying to see my options. I only have 2 weeks.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:39 PM

It was my first car. I bought it from this guy but he later told me it was in an auction before I got it. It did have a service engine light but since I'm a broke college kid, I didn't get it checked. Now that I have the money, I could've gotten it checked but didn't have the time. So I'm just trying to see my options. I only have 2 weeks.
but you said you have 2 cars??? parents car? and why only 2 weeks? next time take your dad with you, i'm sure he was like when you brought that car home. broke or not, you need to take along someone that'll help get a decent car, not a money pit like that. i mean, i got my max and had no issues for awhile except brakes and an 02 sensor, get a scanner man, it'll help you to save aggravation and time. i have this exact one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Autel-Maxiscan-MS300-OBDII-OBD2-Auto-Diagnostic-Scanner-Car-Fault-Code-Reader-/141621051421?hash=item20f945c01d&item=141621051421&vxp=mtr

Last edited by max ride 41; 10-09-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
but you said you have 2 cars??? parents car? and why only 2 weeks? next time take your dad with you, i'm sure he was like when you brought that car home. broke or not, you need to take along someone that'll help get a decent car, not a money pit like that. i mean, i got my max and had no issues for awhile except brakes and an 02 sensor, get a scanner man, it'll help you to save aggravation and time. i have this exact one Autel Maxiscan MS300 OBDII OBD2 Auto Diagnostic Scanner Car Fault Code Reader | eBay
Yes I have a second car but it's my parents. They're only letting me use it until I get paid (which is in 2 weeks). I did take my dad with me to get the car & he's been working on car his entire life. Everything was cool but that was in June.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:29 PM
ef9

Can you please elaborate on the huge oil leak?

Where was this leak?

What caused the leak?
Old 10-09-2015, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by ef9
Can you please elaborate on the huge oil leak?

Where was this leak?

What caused the leak?
The block was cracked, the engine blew & oil spilled everywhere. That's all I know.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:36 PM
ef9

I think the order of events is:

1. Oil leaked from somewhere
2. Engine block cracked
Old 10-09-2015, 08:37 PM

It's fine. Thanks for the "input." I'll just move on to the next things. Thanks anyways...
Old 10-09-2015, 08:40 PM
ef9

Sorry, I was just trying to find the root cause, as we wouldn't want to be the victim of the same demise.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:16 PM

Our cars are very old and have lots of problems. What max doesnt need wheel bearings/hubs? OP, buying that car wasn't a bad decision. Sure the previous owner neglected it, but given the info you provided, so did you. 1500 for a new engine w/labor? I bought mine for 1400. All you put into your car was a started and an air filter. If you had a suspension setup, exhaust, engine and interior mods, id say rebuild it but def not if thats all you have replaced. If I were you, I would buy another maxima that looks like its been taken care of (no codes, struts not too bad, etc.)
Old 10-10-2015, 04:01 AM

here's a max that's got some rust but is a decent looking car that has a fair amount of mods and is low miles. don't know where he's located though
https://maxima.org/forums/maximas-sa...ml#post9075763
Old 10-10-2015, 05:02 AM

The struts & Springs thing doesn't matter because I do want to lower it soon. I guess I might just suck it up & put a new engine in it. But definitely keep up with the maintenance this time.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:08 AM

The struts & Springs thing doesn't matter because I do want to lower it soon. I guess I might just suck it up & put a new engine in it. But definitely keep up with the maintenance this time.
My parents also said they'd meet me almost half way with the money to get another engine put in it so I guess you can't beat that deal at all lol. It was my first car so it's just trial & error. I know to get that code scanner for sure this time!
Old 10-10-2015, 07:42 AM

Hmph, I had an oil leak just like you.. My mechanic said If I drove it any longer.. I probably would of needed a new engine as there was oil everywhere.. he replaced

timing chain covers (main leak)
both valve cover gaskets
oil pan
oil pressure switch
knock sensor
new oil
cleaned off all the old oil that was everywhere
and no more oil leaks after that for 5 months so far and for sure many more miles of no oil leaks and saved the engine.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by JoshG
Hmph, I had an oil leak just like you.. My mechanic said If I drove it any longer.. I probably would of needed a new engine as there was oil everywhere.. he replaced

timing chain covers (main leak)
both valve cover gaskets
oil pan
oil pressure switch
knock sensor
new oil
cleaned off all the old oil that was everywhere
and no more oil leaks after that for 5 months so far and for sure many more miles of no oil leaks and saved the engine.
Dang. Then I must have caught it too late. Now I just have to get a new engine. Simple.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:21 AM

Dang. Then I must have caught it too late. Now I just have to get a new engine. Simple.
no, buy another maxima. There is no point in keeping your car. Part out whatever you can, sell said part outs on CL and here (classifieds) and junk the car for some cash. Buy another maxima with not so many problems. They are very very cheap. Why swap a motor in? You ARE going to have issues with the new motor, it is not worth it.

p.s. I saw you said that you didnt have "time" to check the codes. There is a sticky here that shows how to check codes using a flathead screwdriver. I've pulled over on the freeway and checked/cleared my codes in less than 5 mins with that method. You didnt have time to do that?

Last edited by bumpypickle; 10-10-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by bumpypickle
no, buy another maxima. There is no point in keeping your car. Part out whatever you can, sell said part outs on CL and here (classifieds) and junk the car for some cash. Buy another maxima with not so many problems. They are very very cheap. Why swap a motor in? You ARE going to have issues with the new motor, it is not worth it.

p.s. I saw you said that you didnt have "time" to check the codes. There is a sticky here that shows how to check codes using a flathead screwdriver. I've pulled over on the freeway and checked/cleared my codes in less than 5 mins with that method. You didnt have time to do that?
Why would the be issues if I drop the same year motor into my max??? It's a 16 year old car, there's gonna be stuff wrong. All it needs is new rear wheel hubs & bearings & new brake pads. I was going to replace the springs & shocks because I wanna lower it. It also needs a paint job but like I said, it's a 16 year old car that's spent years out in the California sun. The interior & everything else is fine. It just needs some tlc. Besides, I could roll the dice on getting another maxima but there aren't many clean looking Maximas in my area(inland empire California).
Old 10-10-2015, 10:47 AM

Not trying to be messed up or anything but regardless of anyone's opinion, it's still up to me to decide what I want to do with my car. My parents said they'll help me out buy paying half for a new engine. I called up some shops & got some good prices. Told them the year & that it's a Cali spec. Now I could get a new Max but who knows wtf is wrong with another max. I know I need to put some money in my car but I have 2 weeks to make a decision. I have some time. But not much.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:49 AM

Old 10-10-2015, 11:05 AM

Okay.... So why am I better off getting another Max (high miles)? Vs putting a new engine with low miles in my current one?
Old 10-10-2015, 11:13 AM

One doesn't just swap an engine. There are always complications involved and will likely be a higher price involved. It would be easier to buy another max with that same money and start from there.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:19 AM

One doesn't just swap an engine. There are always complications involved and will likely be a higher price involved. It would be easier to buy another max with that same money and start from there.
I'm having it done by a local shop (family's done business with them for years) & for $1500? What more could be involved. I'm not doing it myself.. I told the mechanics it's a 1999 & it's cali spec, not fed spec.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:24 AM

Your asking for our opinions and im giving you mine. Hey it's your money...oh wait it isn't
Old 10-10-2015, 11:26 AM

Your asking for our opinions and im giving you mine. Hey it's your money...oh wait it isn't
Haha that was funny. I did mention parents were meeting me halfway for a new engine. But if I was getting a new car, that's all me. But thanks for the opinion anyways. NEXT!
Old 10-10-2015, 11:28 AM
ef9

If you choose to swap in another engine with lower miles, might be a good idea to do some maintenance things to the motor before putting it into your car. Easier when the motor is out of the engine bay.

New gaskets/seals/water pump/etc.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by ef9
If you choose to swap in another engine with lower miles, might be a good idea to do some maintenance things to the motor before putting it into your car. Easier when the motor is out of the engine bay.

New gaskets/seals/water pump/etc.
Alright I'll look into that. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:33 AM

A little bio about me, this is my first car & I work 10 hour days & try to balance classes in between that too. I'm also 18. I don't think it's bad for an 18 year old to get help from there parents right? Because I know some kids my age who's parents don't give a sh*t about them once they turn 18... So I'm lucky for that...
Old 10-10-2015, 04:49 PM
JvG

You need to evaluate what condition the rest of your car is in.

There is an old saying..... the devil you know verses the devil you don't. If you knew your car inside and out, meaning that you know all the rest of the car is sound, well then a replacement engine might make sense.

You live in California. Rust free Maxima are everywhere, rust free, and cheap. Chances are that you can find one that is in better shape than what you have.

It is also more than likely that the next car you buy will also have issues. Pay a real mechanic for an evaluation before you buy it

Judging only by your description of engine failure, I think you threw a rod out the side of the engine. Probably a lubrication issue. Lack of oil, or sludge from not enough oil changes.

A good maxima could last you through college and beyond. I have had mine for close to ten years and 105k miles. Mine has 205k now. It burns or leaks no oil.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
You need to evaluate what condition the rest of your car is in.

There is an old saying..... the devil you know verses the devil you don't. If you knew your car inside and out, meaning that you know all the rest of the car is sound, well then a replacement engine might make sense.

You live in California. Rust free Maxima are everywhere, rust free, and cheap. Chances are that you can find one that is in better shape than what you have.

It is also more than likely that the next car you buy will also have issues. Pay a real mechanic for an evaluation before you buy it

Judging only by your description of engine failure, I think you threw a rod out the side of the engine. Probably a lubrication issue. Lack of oil, or sludge from not enough oil changes.

A good maxima could last you through college and beyond. I have had mine for close to ten years and 105k miles. Mine has 205k now. It burns or leaks no oil.
That's true. I did throw a rod & I did need oil. I guess it's my fault. I'll post pics of my Max later. My interior is perfect. And the exterior needs new paint. But almost every Maxima out here needs new paint. Like I said, I have time but I think getting a new engine is outweighing getting a new Max but my opinion could change. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:42 PM
JvG

I have noticed that some people have gotten used to modern cars which tell you when to change oil, and even oil condition monitors, which say when to change oil.

Keep in mind that our generation Maxima is old-school.
You are expected to open the hood on a regular basis, and monitor what is going on.

Your engine probably died because you were not checking your oil regularly. Don't be hard on yourself, but use this as a learning experience. At least you didn't get into an accident that was your fault.

Old cars often leak. eaking means adding fluids as needed.
An owner could fix the leak if needed, or just feed the cars habit.

Josh G fixed his leaking radiator just now. He would have blown a head gasket if he didn't add coolant and ask what's up.
I had a leaking water pump. I would not have noticed this unless I
checked under the hood every week. Again, I would have blown a head gasket.

Please pay attention to what your car wants. Yes, they will often warn you if something is wrong. Check engine lights should be checked out when they occur. Code readers cost 30 bucks or so. Buy one and use it!!!
Old 10-10-2015, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
I have noticed that some people have gotten used to modern cars which tell you when to change oil, and even oil condition monitors, which say when to change oil.

Keep in mind that our generation Maxima is old-school.
You are expected to open the hood on a regular basis, and monitor what is going on.

Your engine probably died because you were not checking your oil regularly. Don't be hard on yourself, but use this as a learning experience. At least you didn't get into an accident that was your fault.

Old cars often leak. eaking means adding fluids as needed.
An owner could fix the leak if needed, or just feed the cars habit.

Josh G fixed his leaking radiator just now. He would have blown a head gasket if he didn't add coolant and ask what's up.
I had a leaking water pump. I would not have noticed this unless I
checked under the hood every week. Again, I would have blown a head gasket.

Please pay attention to what your car wants. Yes, they will often warn you if something is wrong. Check engine lights should be checked out when they occur. Code readers cost 30 bucks or so. Buy one and use it!!!
Yeah one of my neighbors who's a master mechanic was just telling me this. He also checked out the car & diagnosed it's the bottom of the engine that's bad. I'll use this as a learning experience. & I'm purchasing a code reader immediately. Now I'm gonna call up junk yards to see if they have any engines. But I have a question, Do I specifically need an engine for a Cali spec 1999 Maxima or could I use any 4th gen engine?
Old 10-10-2015, 10:17 PM

Maximas are cheap, just buy another one if you want to stick with one. Look for one that has the options you want and in better condition.

Swapping the engine would be a waste of time and money unless you did all the work yourself. You're investing $1500 into a $1750 car. $3250 invested and you get a used engine in a used car that still needs a bunch of work done. Take some of the parts off that you can sell, and scrap it IMO. Cut your losses and move on.

Put your budget into craigslist and see what your options are for cars under $1500. If you can find a better car, take the opportunity to wash your hands and buy something else. Don't feel like you have to stick with the car.

Last edited by Half Assed; 10-10-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Half Assed
Maximas are cheap, just buy another one if you want to stick with one. Look for one that has the options you want and in better condition.

Swapping the engine would be a waste of time and money unless you did all the work yourself. You're investing $1500 into a $1750 car. $3250 invested and you get a used engine in a used car that still needs a bunch of work done. Take some of the parts off that you can sell, and scrap it IMO. Cut your losses and move on.

Put your budget into craigslist and see what your options are for cars under $1500. If you can find a better car, take the opportunity to wash your hands and buy something else. Don't feel like you have to stick with the car.
That's true. I might just have to take the L with this one if I can't find any used engines for cheap at the junk yard. But I most likely will just get another Max. Having an SE or GLE would be nice lol...
Old 10-11-2015, 02:25 AM

Haha that was funny. I did mention parents were meeting me halfway for a new engine. But if I was getting a new car, that's all me. But thanks for the opinion anyways. NEXT!
Originally Posted by Half Assed
Maximas are cheap, just buy another one if you want to stick with one. Look for one that has the options you want and in better condition. Swapping the engine would be a waste of time and money unless you did all the work yourself. You're investing $1500 into a $1750 car. $3250 invested and you get a used engine in a used car that still needs a bunch of work done. Take some of the parts off that you can sell, and scrap it IMO. Cut your losses and move on. Put your budget into craigslist and see what your options are for cars under $1500. If you can find a better car, take the opportunity to wash your hands and buy something else. Don't feel like you have to stick with the car.
That's true. I might just have to take the L with this one if I can't find any used engines for cheap at the junk yard. But I most likely will just get another Max. Having an SE or GLE would be nice lol...
Soooo..Half Assed just said it better?

on just starting over with another used Maxima considering.

Last edited by Fakie J Farkerton; 10-11-2015 at 02:31 AM.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
Soooo..Half Assed just said it better?

:sprint1: on just staring over with another used Maxima considering.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:41 AM

there are so many maxima's still available, i could find one easy. hell, i'd buy it and have it shipped if need be.

Quick Reply: Engine blew unexpectedly.....