4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

99 Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 04:02 AM

99 Maxima

Finally after 4 months of looking bought a Maxima last night. It's a 99 SE with 47,800 miles on it. Black automatic with black leather and all the toys.

What can I do to get more horsepower without spending a ton of money?

Also what do I need to check/go over to ensure the car is mechanically perfect?

Will I notice a difference by going to a K&N filter?

Thanks for the help!
turboman
Old 01-30-2002, 04:52 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Re: 99 Maxima

Originally posted by Jim Sundin
Finally after 4 months of looking bought a Maxima last night. It's a 99 SE with 47,800 miles on it. Black automatic with black leather and all the toys.

Thanks for the help!
turboman
well welcome to the maxima community!!

most of your answers can be answered in the FAQ section of this web site. check out the links section.. most of the aftermarket distributors are there as well as tons of our cars....

just adding a k & n drop in filter? actually no.. that was my first mod.. i didn't really notice any difference..
Old 01-30-2002, 04:59 AM

Re: 99 Maxima

Originally posted by Jim Sundin

Thanks for the help!
turboman
Welcome to the club. To answer your questions:

1)Y-pipe costs from 200 to 400 bucks on average depending on brand. Many will say this is the first HP mod to do.

2)WIth only 47K on it, the car should be in sound order depending on the previous owner and how he/she treated the car. Do the obvious: check fluids, brake wear, etc. To REALLY insure the car is running fine, you can take it to the dealer and have them check it out.

3)With just a K&N filter drop-in, I don't know how much power you'd notice. I noticed a little more power and better fuel economy after installing the Stillen Hi-flow intake. But there are better and cheaper substitutes for the Stillen intake.
Old 01-30-2002, 06:32 AM
rupinsjo

Re: Re: 99 Maxima

Originally posted by amb4081

3)With just a K&N filter drop-in, I don't know how much power you'd notice. I noticed a little more power and better fuel economy after installing the Stillen Hi-flow intake. But there are better and cheaper substitutes for the Stillen intake.
Can you direct me to info regarding the Stillen Hi-Flow Intake. Was it hard to install? What negatives are associated with it, in your mind, if any?

Old 01-30-2002, 06:46 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Re: Re: Re: 99 Maxima

Originally posted by rupinsjo

Can you direct me to info regarding the Stillen Hi-Flow Intake. Was it hard to install? What negatives are associated with it, in your mind, if any?
install took about and hour (tops) it is not hard to install. if you go to www.maximadriver.com , they have a how-to section.. you loose a little low end power.

i will a stillen intake for sale in about 1 week or so...
Old 01-30-2002, 06:48 AM

dont get the stillen intake........it sucks get a WSP or place racing cai.....for more info........www.cattman.com or www.warpspeedperformance.com
Old 01-30-2002, 06:51 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
dont get the stillen intake........it sucks get a WSP or place racing cai.....for more info........www.cattman.com or www.warpspeedperformance.com
prove to me there is a major differnce in intakes........
Old 01-30-2002, 07:11 AM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
Old 01-30-2002, 07:41 AM

well welcome to the maxima family..in which u will learn things u neva knew about ur car...n have some crazy till the sun comes up meets !!!

i have a 96SE (automagic) i only have the Place racing intake (cai)
n let me u tell u ... it hauls HP ! u can feel the pull n power..lets get a lil deep ...there is no such thin a stillen intake ...its juss a fliter ... pop charger...to put it in other words...

with those u suck in alot of hot air from the engine bay .. ~ 10-15 min job ...

CAI u suck in pure cold air ..away from the engine bay...~ 2- 3 hour job requires cuttin a hole in the fender wall

juss till last week ...i would always go out n race with my O D on
::smackin Self Ova Head !! :::
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
turn it off....n keep it off .....
only use to relax for a smooth drive on the highway. or juss pass someone real quick ...
It Cut outs ur 4th gear u lose power ...
clee130 my fellow 4th gen bud has a pop charger... n killing me on the highway last week ..i was thinkin ..wha the *&^%
he told me... O D kills ur 4th gear ..leavin u 4eva to gain any grounds !
we will release some vids soon on our 4th gens maximas
Pop-Charger Vs. Cold Air Intake

By The Way...When u Do Install...with Whicheva u Choose..Remember..its like a virgin...give it time to break in !!!!

Old 01-30-2002, 08:33 AM

You can search the forums for mods using the search function. You will hear a lot about Y-pipe, Cold Air Intake (CAI). These are probably the biggest bang for the buck. After that you have to start spending more for horsepower.

You gain some power at the expense of noise ... it gets noisy at higher rpms.

As far as checking stuff out .. I think some of it has been said already ... fluids should be topped up (brake, tranny, water, power sterring)

Also take a little sniff at the fluids. If they smell slightly burnt, don't be alarmed, just flush and change. '99 is about 2 years old and it's about time to flush some of the fluid systems, especially the radiator coolant. As you get closer to 60K check the belts also for brittleness and cracks.

If you're really picky and want to know the condition of the engine, you can do a fluid analysis of the engine oil. Not sure how much that costs anymore. I had heard someone on the org was doing it for free if you send the sample to them.

You should have done this before you got the car, still it's probably nice to know.
Old 01-30-2002, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by Golden Glory
there is no such thin a stillen intake ...its juss a fliter ... pop charger...to put it in other words... with those u suck in alot of hot air from the engine bay .. ~ 10-15 min job ...
It isn't just a filter, it also has a velocity stack.
Old 01-30-2002, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by redmaxpa007

prove to me there is a major differnce in intakes........

There is NO DIFFERENCE between the intakes themselves. Just the companies selling them...meaning Stillen charges too damn much. I use to buy just their stuff until I found this website and realized there are so many other choices for cheaper. I like the looks of the Stillen more than the others. But it's up to the buyer and how much he/she wants to spend.
Old 01-30-2002, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by amb4081

There is NO DIFFERENCE between the intakes themselves. Just the companies selling them...meaning Stillen charges too damn much. I use to buy just their stuff until I found this website and realized there are so many other choices for cheaper. I like the looks of the Stillen more than the others. But it's up to the buyer and how much he/she wants to spend.
When writing this, I am not comparing a "hi-flow" intake to the "cold-air" intake. I'm speaking of Stillen vs. JWT pop charger. Sorry for not specifying. CAI is the way to go. I would like to change over sometime. Until then, I have the Stillen intake.
Old 01-30-2002, 08:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How much did you pay for the car? My 99 has exactly 47,800 miles.