4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

this blows me away.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 03:31 AM

this blows me away.....

that i can still get parts for my 95 maxima like the bar bracket reinforcement, but my 07 sonata they've already stopped making parts for a good portion of the car? i don't know, is hyundai saying that the car's parts are going to last more than 10 years? i keep thinking that i'm going to sell the maxima, but keep finding reasons to keep it.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:45 AM

Most manufacturers stop making parts at ten years, Nissan included. They stockpile based on what they expect to need. After that you can get factory parts, but the inventory gets whittled down day by day. If they underestimate the need for some part it might become unavailable fast after that. They might restart production for something that is in high demand, but it's the exception, not the rule.

It's an old policy and probably doesn't make as much sense in the era of 200k+ cars, but with the cost cutting they all do I doubt that they will extend it. In fact, I'd expect it to get shorter and shorter.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:23 PM

point your missing that i was making is that nissan still makes some parts and has a $hitload of leftover parts for our over 20+ year cars. i never have had a car that has had such a following as this car in my life, i am truly impressed with this car and will continue to fix and drive my 95 gle bm1 until it stops making sense. and that aint going to happen anytime soon. shame on the quitters...
Old 07-28-2016, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
point your missing that i was making is that nissan still makes some parts and has a $hitload of leftover parts for our over 20+ year cars. i never have had a car that has had such a following as this car in my life, i am truly impressed with this car and will continue to fix and drive my 95 gle bm1 until it stops making sense. and that aint going to happen anytime soon. shame on the quitters...

I know what you are saying, but if they have parts leftover it's because they made a lot of the cars and the parts and there are still in the warehouse. It's luck of the draw if they have any left now - they didn't keep making them any longer than anyone else.

I know this from and experience with Nissan... I had a new Nissan purchased in 1993. In 2004 I went to purchase an interior part I needed through a local dealer. It was no longer available. When I asked why, the parts guy told me about the ten year stock process.

As for a following: you are right, this car has a good one. There are some others out there with a strong internet community, etc. Then there are some without, and it's a huge difference in keeping the car on the road. This is one of the good ones!
Old 07-28-2016, 07:54 AM

I believe the law in the United States says that you have to provide parts for 7 years. This law is not just for automobiles. If a manufacturer goes longer, that's great for us.

Another example of a part that is no longer available for the 4th gen is the air mix door motor. This motor is not the same on all years of the 4th gen. The 98 or 99 was the first to disappear, then the 97. I don't know if all years are unavailable at this time or not.

This kind of goes along with what Bob says.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:40 PM

People at my job think I'm crazy for putting so much money into a 17 year old car. But what they fail to realize is that it beats having a car payment at my age. Yeahhh it would be nice to have a newer car but I just can't see myself in anything else, but a GTR. And that won't be for a longgggg timeeee lol the parts are cheap, the community is strong & the car is solid. I can't go wrong, honestly!