4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

5 speed conversion

Old 10-29-2016, 01:52 PM

5 speed conversion

I'm trying to do a 5 speed conversion on a 1996 infiniti i30 and ran into a wall when i was trying to put the clutch petal/master cylinder in and there wasn't a hole for them to go into and there was no harness to connect to the clutch petal. Has anyone ran into this problem? I thought all the cars came with a pre harness and do I need those harnesses there or can I do without them?
Old 10-29-2016, 02:10 PM

You can ground the neutral safety to get it to start
To my knowledge there isn't any wires to use on the clutch on an auto from the factory
As far as the hole, it's not there until you make it, but it's obvious to see where it goes
Most make a template from the master and then get to cutting/drilling
Old 10-29-2016, 02:15 PM

Oh, and FWIW don't forget to space the master like OEM 17mm on the inside of the cab

If you can get the original spacer off the firewall of a donor car, I recommend that over stacking washers
Old 10-30-2016, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by TurboA32
I'm trying to do a 5 speed conversion on a 1996 infiniti i30 and ran into a wall when i was trying to put the clutch petal/master cylinder in and there wasn't a hole for them to go into and there was no harness to connect to the clutch petal. Has anyone ran into this problem? I thought all the cars came with a pre harness and do I need those harnesses there or can I do without them?
The wiring harness for the automatic will have a park/neutral safety switch. Cut that up and extend it to the clutch pedal switch. Get the correct plug from a wrecking yard. The cruise control cancel from the brake pedal will need to tied into the clutch pedal as well. I'm not sure how to do this, my best gues is to make it a series circuit where the switches are closed when each pedal is up. If you don't do this the engine will hit the rev limiter while clutching in cruise control. Also don't forget reverse, again the original switch is in the park/neutral safety switch. extend and connect to transmission. Study the FSM for both automatic and manual. The wiring will take some ingenuity, but it's possible and necessary. If you would prefer, you can bypass the clutch pedal for starting by just connecting the two corresponding wires at the p/n safety switch.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:40 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I did search and couldn't find this info you guys gave me.

Search this Thread