4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

belt squeel at startup?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 06:23 PM

belt squeel at startup?

Hey guys, our 99 Maxima is making a horrible squeel when you start it up. Only at startup, usually lasts a few seconds, like 5 seconds top, no problem while driving.

We've tried two things... First a shop mentioned that the lower radiator hose was leaking onto the belts, so we replaced that. Didn't fix it. I then noticed the camshaft position sensor was leaking oil so I replaced the gasket for that. Didn't fix it.

A shop said the belts were in good shape and properly tensioned...

Any suggestions on how to diagnose the actual problem? My only other theory is that it's the A/C compressor clutch, which we know is going bad (minor noise but not bad yet). But I don't know if that could cause squealing at startup, my thought is maybe because it's going bad it's causing more resistance at startup which is causing the belt to slip a bit.

Any suggestions welcome!
Old 11-15-2016, 06:33 PM
JvG

You probably answered your own question. The ac clutch.

You could replace the belt with a shorter one.

This shorter hose will by pass the compressor clutch.

If this works, you found your problem, for now.

Might be a good idea to fix the compressor next spring.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:49 PM

Yeah I'm just hoping that's not it because it seems like there is no cheap way to replace the A/C compressor, and the remanufactured ones seem to have a bad rep (and OEM is $$$$).
Old 11-15-2016, 06:56 PM

I guess I could get a shorter belt and bypass it for a bit, if nothing else that would prove whether it's the compressor or not. Shouldn't need A/C for 6 months...

How would I figure out what belt I need to bypass it?
Old 11-15-2016, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by hooloovoo
I guess I could get a shorter belt and bypass it for a bit, if nothing else that would prove whether it's the compressor or not. Shouldn't need A/C for 6 months...

How would I figure out what belt I need to bypass it?
Here's a link to info on that topic.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...rive-belt.html

Since a mechanic indicated you have the proper belt tension, be sure to check the back side of your crank pulley to see if it has been rubbing against the power steering belt or if your crankshaft pulley is not separating.

There is a rubber insulator between the main crankshaft part and the outer pulley ring that rots over time and separates.

Here's a picture of the outer ring that separated on my 99 I30 and how it rubbed against the power steering pulley leaving the bare metal compared to a new pulley.

Also, check the power steering belt. I've had it be the squealing culprit a couple of times.

Name:  06_New_Compared_2_Old_zpsw66tmwwo.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  300.2 KB

Last edited by CS_AR; 11-15-2016 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:13 PM

My AC is also shot. It is at the point where it makes grinding noises Careful, I've had a squeak turn into a thunk and a tow. I purchased the AC bypass belt for now.

Loosen tension on that idler pulley and spin alternator, PS pump, AC. Hopefully you can get away with a low dollar patch like the bypass belt.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:19 PM

Well the squeak in my case isn't the compressor, it's a belt slipping. The compressor itself you can hear the noise but it's not bad or really noticeable if you're not listening. I'm pretty sure it also only does it on a cold start (not 100% sure because my son is the one that drives the car).
Old 11-15-2016, 07:40 PM

Good! New belts and tighten those tensioners I'd replace the tensioner pulley just because I was in there...
Old 11-15-2016, 07:47 PM

I mean the squeel isn't coming from the compressor itself, what i'm trying to figure out is if the compressor is still at fault. Like if because the compressor clutch is going bad maybe it binds up a bit when it first starts turning causing the belt to slip.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:57 PM

Well we changed the oil today and while in there I tightened up the belt a bit. It honestly felt ok, and I tightened it down enough that I could just barely notice it was tighter (by trying to twist the belt at the longest segment). Seems to have stopped the squeal... The belt itself looked great, no real cracking I could notice.

I'm going to go with it for now...
Old 11-20-2016, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by hooloovoo
Well we changed the oil today and while in there I tightened up the belt a bit. It honestly felt ok, and I tightened it down enough that I could just barely notice it was tighter (by trying to twist the belt at the longest segment). Seems to have stopped the squeal... The belt itself looked great, no real cracking I could notice.

I'm going to go with it for now...
Nice job. Glad to see you found it.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:25 AM
Administrator

I'd use a $3 stethoscope from Harbor Freight and pin point exactly where the noise is coming from. Easy diagnosis.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bypass question new member

Can this info be validated?
Reading through a lot of the older comments on 4th gen ac bypass. I have the same problem others have mentioned as i went thru some older comments.
​​​​​​ I have a 99 and the suggested consensus napa belt 25-060355 is short real short. Are there any different larger belt successes others have had. My tensioner is fine I was able to put the old drive belt back on for I was doing bypass because of horrible embarrassing sound.
Also can I tighten that pulley system which is what I tried to do first
There is an alarming amount of play between bearing and Pulley

Last edited by Ih8roger; 05-13-2017 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Left question out
Old 05-13-2017, 09:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Skyjumper

Thanks for your bypass post so incredibly helpful skyjumper