4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Hood Strut Replacement - Reuse Studs or ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 03:46 PM

Hood Strut Replacement - Reuse Studs or ?

I'm looking to order some replacement hood struts. I see that some come with new studs and some don't (or don't mention it).

Can I just reuse the existing studs? That is, unsnap the clip in the typical hood strut way, pull the original strut off, and put the replacement strut one ? Or do I need to unbolt the studs and replace them too?

I don't have the car here to examine and won't for a week, but I need to get these ordered.

Thanks,
Old 12-06-2016, 04:32 PM

When I replaced mine, they didn't come with new hood studs. I also couldn't separate two of them from the original hood struts, so I had to get new ones from the local Napa. Just for reference, in case you need them, the part number is 735-1896 and they're $3.99 a piece retail.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Yes, reuse your studs. Takes a second to pop them of using a small flathead screwdriver at the clip.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:40 PM

Thanks,
Old 12-07-2016, 06:44 AM

Keep the the retaining clip "opened" with your screwdriver on the new struts when reinstalling them over the studs to avoid marring the studs with the metal retaining spring.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:10 AM

IIRC the stud bolt size that often comes with replacements is an "odd" metric or SAE size that breaks the Nissan "even" bolt size methodology used for other parts in the engine compartment. Once you grow accustomed to working on Nissan's even sized bolts, then everything else seems odd. 😀
Old 12-07-2016, 12:09 PM

It is probably best to buy the two studs separate (like at Napa as suggested, or OEM units which were ~ $8/each c.2012).

Others have posted that they were able to reuse their old studs by "popping them out" or similar but like maxima297 I was singularly unable to do this. A Nissan dealer then advised me on the solution I eventually employed: take a right-angle grinder to the (worn out) strut at the stud fitting and cut the circle open so as to remove the stud (!). Reading it back now it sounds like graphic overkill but at the time that stud wasn't coming out (of the OEM strut) with a "small screwdriver" or anything else save an implement of destruction.

I was eventually able to cut the studs out of the old struts (without cutting into the ball/cutting into my finger) but its is easier to just buy new studs.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by reallywildstuff
It is probably best to buy the two studs separate (like at Napa as suggested, or OEM units which were ~ $8/each c.2012).

Others have posted that they were able to reuse their old studs by "popping them out" or similar but like maxima297 I was singularly unable to do this. A Nissan dealer then advised me on the solution I eventually employed: take a right-angle grinder to the (worn out) strut at the stud fitting and cut the circle open so as to remove the stud (!). Reading it back now it sounds like graphic overkill but at the time that stud wasn't coming out (of the OEM strut) with a "small screwdriver" or anything else save an implement of destruction.

I was eventually able to cut the studs out of the old struts (without cutting into the ball/cutting into my finger) but its is easier to just buy new studs.
I think there is some confusion here. Based on the OP's post, I got the impression that he already has aftermarket hood struts. With aftermarket, you can pop off the strut and reuse the stud in a matter of seconds. With OEM struts, you can not (w/o work and tools/grinders etc)

Just make sure you get aftermarket struts (with studs) for less than $15 shipped off of Ebay, and you'll be set for future struts which are like $12 shipped on Ebay. I just bought some myself two weeks ago.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:06 PM

To clear up any confusion... I don't have struts yet. The originals are still on the car. I plan to order some.

So the OEM don't have the little spring clips on them? The ball and cap is just force fit at the factory?
Old 12-07-2016, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by BobMax
To clear up any confusion... I don't have struts yet. The originals are still on the car. I plan to order some.

So the OEM don't have the little spring clips on them? The ball and cap is just force fit at the factory?
YES that is correct.

The design does not lend itself to the studs being removed from the OEM strut without persuasion.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:41 PM
Administrator

You may want to consider these...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281999169357?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 12-07-2016, 03:43 PM
Administrator

or better yet, these...cheapest I can find in a hurry.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hood-Lift-Su...xXBGV4&vxp=mtr
Old 12-23-2016, 10:50 AM

I made it to the u-pull last week and looked at a factory strut car... I see the issue :-)

But, while I was there I spotted a car with a replacement set that seemed to be working, so I grabbed them and their replacement studs.

They were OK at 30 degrees, but we'll have to see how they do down lower. If their junk, no biggie, they were dirt cheap used.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:42 PM

The ones I ordered from advance, I just unbolted the old ones and put the new ones in. Was pretty easy...except trying to hold the hood up because one thread was kinda worn

I was tall enough to hold it up, but can you imagine trying to do hood struts on like some old Cadillac or town car...where the hood is like 2/3 the size of the car