4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

1996 Maxima GXE lost electricity power while driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 11:18 AM

1996 Maxima GXE lost electricity power while driving

I started to run into some electricity-related problem with my 1996 Nissan Maxima, the car has 190K miles on it, and I have regularly changed its engine oil.

From three weeks ago, this car started losing power/electricity while I am driving it, however, I have always been able to restart the engine almost immediately after it dies/stops on the road. It does not happen too often though - on average once a week (has happened mostly on Wed and Thursday)

That being said, the car died again for the same problem on highway yesterday on way home from work, and all the power seemed to be lost - I couldn't even open the trunk with the opener until I used my key to open it. I couldn't restart the car for about 15 minutes until I put the gear on Neutral and turned my key. Miraculously, the engine restarted with a nice sound, so I was finally able to drive it home last night.

So I am seeking advice for what to look for in order to make a fix. Some of my friends say it might be the alternator, while others suspect some relay might be malfunctioning, in particular the ignition switch, and main relay (not sure if my car has main relay).

On hot days (esp. hot humid summer days), I could not start the car if it has been baked under the sun for a while. I had to open the four doors to let the air cool off before the engine can start.

I am all ears for what might be wrong with my car. It is a nice car and I feel like it still has some thousand miles left on it.

Last edited by rcholic; 02-17-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:25 AM

How old is the battery and what brand are you running?
Old 02-17-2017, 11:41 AM

Your first step(s) IMO should be the testing of your battery and charging system.

After that, and provided everything tests out OK, I'd look into the ignition switch.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
How old is the battery and what brand are you running?
The battery looks in good shape, and it is about 3 years old. Sorry I can't remember its brand now, maybe I'll report back when I get home. Thanks guys!
Old 02-17-2017, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Don't drive on Wednesday or Thursday, ride your bike instead.

Seriously though, telling us your battery looks to be in good shape doesn't tell us much. It must be tested properly.

It very well likely could be the ignition switch when you says stuff like it only started in neutral. There is another part that would explain this phenomenon too, but I'm drawing a blank right now.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:39 PM

This would happen to me alot in my 97 alot!. does your battery have the tie down? And what conditions are your terminals. Are they tight on the battery post. Mine would come loose while driving and the car would shut off completely, steering wheel would lock up, boy was that fun!
Old 02-17-2017, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by lux97Max
This would happen to me alot in my 97 alot!. does your battery have the tie down? And what conditions are your terminals. Are they tight on the battery post. Mine would come loose while driving and the car would shut off completely, steering wheel would lock up, boy was that fun!
^^^ This. Check all your connections all the way down your battery cables.

When I first got my '96 I had this exact same problem. Finally I discovered that a bolt was missing from the negative battery cable. It's the first place after the battery where the cable connects to the body. In turns the battery (which at the time did not have a tie down) would slide, causing the connection to break and the car to shut off. I popped a new bolt in there, installed a tie-down from O'Reilly's, and have never had another problem.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:40 PM

For the car starting only in neutral, try going underneath the car and go to the gear lever on the transmission. It's in front, easy access. There is a cable attached to it. Detach it, but remember where the lever placement is. Get some WD-40 and spray the area and move the lever in different positions. This might help fix that neutral safety issue.
Old 11-05-2022, 11:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Turbobink
Your first step(s) IMO should be the testing of your battery and charging system.

After that, and provided everything tests out OK, I'd look into the ignition switch.
How do you test the charging system?