4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

glove box is broken, how to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 07:02 PM

glove box is broken, how to fix?

first, it was just one side that was broken/hangin loose. now it's the whole box. it still locks into place, but w/e it hangs onto is ready to completely break off. found some used ones on ebay, just replace or is there a latch or hook that can be replaced/repaired? thanks
Old 03-12-2017, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
first, it was just one side that was broken/hangin loose. now it's the whole box. it still locks into place, but w/e it hangs onto is ready to completely break off. found some used ones on ebay, just replace or is there a latch or hook that can be replaced/repaired? thanks
either way you're going to have to remove it right? I am going to jb weld my cup holder into place because the plastic the clips attach to are broken and I had to epoxy the plastic that the spring connects to on the ash tray because you could close it fine but it would push itself upward and just barely out of place making opening it a pain

I'd say remove it, inspect it and see what's broken and if something like epoxy or jb weld is an option or if you can just replace the clips/hooks or if you'd be better off just buying a new one
Old 03-12-2017, 04:45 PM

Is it the bottom edge that drops down/comes loose? if so, then it is probably that the screw holes have stripped out. They are only sheet metal screws in a thin strip of metal. Get the next size larger screws.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Is it the bottom edge that drops down/comes loose? if so, then it is probably that the screw holes have stripped out. They are only sheet metal screws in a thin strip of metal. Get the next size larger screws.
I would also think it would be an issue with screws. I haven't removed the glovebox on this car but i did in my brother g6 and it was held on by about 10different screws and then some clips. I'd bet it's similiar on these cars the screws are the primary thing to hold it up and then there might be a clip or 2
Old 03-13-2017, 10:58 AM

i'll have to go take a look, not really sure whats broken. car is 22 years old, my bet is on the screw holes stripping out. any pics of said screw holes for reference?
Old 03-13-2017, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
i'll have to go take a look, not really sure whats broken. car is 22 years old, my bet is on the screw holes stripping out. any pics of said screw holes for reference?
skip to 2:30 and he shows pretty quickly how to take it out. it's held only by screws it seems so you should be able to tell which ones aren't doing their job
Old 03-13-2017, 01:25 PM

It's amazing to see it's still running after all these years, lets reach to 25! Lol
Old 03-13-2017, 06:10 PM

cool, knew it wasn't rocket science. just needed to know how many screws there were. pretty sure there's a few of them missing, haven't had the chance to mess with it yet.