4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What else to replace

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 01:41 PM
Biz
Newbie - Just Registered

What else to replace

I have a '96 Maxima that has a hard start, random surging going down the road, and dying at stoplights. So far I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, mass airflow censor, cam positioning censor, I have also replaced the coolant temp. censor. Now after replacing the coolant temp. censor when I unplug the connector the electric fans kick on and stay on. The codes that it's throwing P1335 P0115 P0150 P0325 P0130 P0125 P0155 Is there anything else I should replace from these codes that will fix the issues?
Old 03-21-2017, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Biz
I have a '96 Maxima that has a hard start, random surging going down the road, and dying at stoplights. So far I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, mass airflow censor, cam positioning censor, I have also replaced the coolant temp. censor. Now after replacing the coolant temp. censor when I unplug the connector the electric fans kick on and stay on. The codes that it's throwing P1335 P0115 P0150 P0325 P0130 P0125 P0155 Is there anything else I should replace from these codes that will fix the issues?
First thing i would do is clear the codes (leave battery disconnected for a couple hours) and then read them again, any code you get type "maxima (code)" and you'll get plenty of results from this forum about what the issue is

those codes are related to the coolant sensor codes, front o2 sensor codes and knock sensor codes(can sometimes show up due to other issues), and the crankshaft position sensor. These might be from while you were replacing or maybe they've been fixed and haven't been reset.

do you ever get the blinking cel when you're driving? that means misfire and in my experience it's been the coils.

Sparkplugs are also good to replace i ordered the oem platinums off ebay all 6 for i think $12 just to do some prescheduled maintenence plus the cars have issues with plugs that aren't ngk, mine were bosch so i'm glad i did it.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:36 PM
Biz
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for you help Violater.I have not had a blinking cel.
There are Nkg plugs in when i bought the car i have also tested the coils and fuel injectors.Would cleaning the throttle body help? I have also read to change the thermostat?
Old 03-21-2017, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
If your getting the ignition signal circuit, then the ECU is detecting the error on the low side of the coil This should be easily detected with an ohm meter. Follow the instructions on the thread you read. If the readings are off, replace the coil.

The ECU really has no way of detecting an error on the high side of the coil. It's not electrically connected to the ECU. A misfire on the high (spark) side is detected by the cam and crank sensor. The engine speed or gallop caused by the misfire is picked up in the RPM signal and reported as a misfire. The engine timing from both sensors can help accurately determine which cylinder is at fault.

The TDC codes an ohm meter & spark tester are your best friends when troubleshooting ignition related issues.
testing coil packs on these cars isn't very accurate from what i've heard, you have to replace with a known working one to find out which is bad or replace the whole set of 6

The only other thing i can think could cause it is the FPR fuel pressure regulator

Last edited by Violator; 03-21-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:09 PM
Biz
Newbie - Just Registered

hmmmm will check it tonight
Old 03-22-2017, 11:54 AM

+1 on the coil packs