4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

99 Maxima crank no start debugging

Old 04-02-2017, 06:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

99 Maxima crank no start debugging

Out of the blue she cranks but she wont start. The security light stays on steady while cranking. I called a mobile locksmith who said the key is fine and the imobilizer ring is fine but when he tried to reprogram he was unable to connect. He was able to connect using an OBDII reader but still told me I should look into replacing the ECU. Rather than do that I had the vehicle towed to Courtesy Nissan on Hillsborough Ave in Tampa. 100$ later they told me the fuel pump was the problem. I told them that everything I have read online about a steady security light indicates the security system is preventing the car from starting. They told me that when fuel was introduced to the system the car started. They assured me it was the fuel pump and quoted me 600$ for the repair. I asked them to give me that in writing. I took the car home and purchased and installed a new fuel pump. Low and behold I have the same problem. If I spay some starter fluid on the air filter and crank she will fire up briefly however she shuts right off and the security light is steadily lit.. Dose the security system cut spark? Could it be anything else?

Last edited by I_build; 04-02-2017 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:18 AM

If the security light is on solid, the car is immobilized. Period. Your dealer is an idiot and knows nothing about a Maxima. You might have better luck at a volkswagon dealer.

It is remotely possible that the chip in your key is bad and the car will start with another key. But that is not very likely.

When the car is immobilized, the fuel pump still runs but the ECU shuts off the fuel injectors. The plugs still spark, which is why the engine will start when you spray fuel into the air intake.

And the locksmith you called is not knowledgeable on the Maxima, either. On just about every car, the process is to hook up to the OBD port. Unfortunately, the 1999 Maxima (and probably all 1999 Nissans) does not work this way. You have to connect to the CONSULT port in order to do the key programming. This required a different cable for his laptop.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:49 AM
Administrator

^This x10
Old 04-02-2017, 12:18 PM

Most likely the Dealer doesn't have anyone still working there that understands how to reset NATS on a 99 model or how it works for that matter to issue the statements in your post.

I remember reading a sad story about a guy who worked at a Home Depot in the Tampa area that went through a similar ordeal. IIRC his car was immobilized on the parking lot of the Home Depot store where he worked. I'm not sure if I know how it finally turned out.

As posted by D and W above, you need to find a dealer that still has a copy of consult that works with the 14-pin Consult port. If the dealer is trying to connect Consult to the OBDII port like the car is a 5th gen with NATS, it just will NOT work.

Search this Thread