4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Alternator Area Smoking Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 11:59 AM

Alternator Area Smoking Won't Start

I've been doing a little work on the car, it's been sitting in the garage and I went to start it, forgot to plug front 3 injectors in and tighten down the grounds. So I hop out and plug em in and go to put the grounds on and stupidly had the key and battery in and sparked when I touched one of the bolts to the intake manifold and I think I heard a noise from the battery area but I don't remember the sound

It tries to turn over, starting fluid makes it stumble like it's really trying to start, and I notice a little smoke coming from the alternator area. Please tell me I didn't just smoke this month old alternator wouldn't it still start?
Old 04-17-2017, 05:09 PM

The altenator doesn't come into play when you are starting the car. It is strictly the battery providing the power. You say the engine cranks over but the engine doesn't start, so the battery still has a charge. At this point you cannot say whether the alternator is good or bad. You need to start the engine to find out or take the alternator off and have it bench tested. I bet the alternator is good.

I am curious as to what bolt caused the spark. The grounds should not do this under ant circumstance. Something was touching something else somewhere.

Is your car a 1999?
Old 04-17-2017, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Violator
I heard a noise from the battery area
fusible link or other fuse blowing?
Old 04-18-2017, 12:49 PM

There's 2 ground wires off the fuel rail to the lower intake mani and the bolt when it touched the intake mani sparked

Ground on battery negative that goes to a bolt on the TB to screw on injector. which leads to the second ground wire, from that screw on the injector and from the timing cover to the alternator chassis spot

checked a lot of fuses and the ac fuse under the hood was blown and the engine cont was blown, replaced and even tried jump starting no luck

Last edited by Violator; 04-18-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:36 PM

I would check the main 140 amp one. Easy way to test this is pull a fuse in the engine bay closest to the fender. The row closest to the fender will only be hot if the 140 amp fuse is good. The row closest to the engine should be hot even if the 140 amp fuse is blown. Take one out on the side closest to the fender and check both side for power. I forget what side is always hot.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:21 AM

If the horn blows and the power windows work, you did not blow the 140 amp fuse.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:18 PM

Power windows and sunroof work
Old 04-22-2017, 03:15 PM

Took out every fuse, I think only engine cont 1 and an actual compressor fuse under the hood were blown. Replaced them and the main 120amp battery fuse and jump started it and it ran