4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Nissan PSF "equivalent" to Dexron II ATF?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 12:31 AM

Nissan PSF "equivalent" to Dexron II ATF?

Hi all:

My power steering fluid reservoir is below the Min Cold line. I looked at my invoice from when the dealer did a flush about two years ago and they used Nissan 999MP-AG000P Power Steering Fluid. I checked the manual for my '95 and it says Dexron II ATF or equivalent. I picked up a bottle of the Nissan PSF and it does say on the back for use in Nissan and Infiniti power steering but nothing about being equivalent to Dexron II ATF. The sticky indicates to use Dexron II ATF and no other hits on the search function. Does anyone know if the Nissan PSF is in fact equivalent? Parts Dept. didn't have a definitive answer so if no one knows, perhaps I can ask the mechanic there.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:47 AM

Go to your local Autozone or advanced auto or Napa whatever is close to you. Buy the stuff called Dextron. yes just the stuff that says Dextron it will work.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:06 AM

I don't have the specifics on the Nissan Power Steering Fluid, but as far as compatibility, in a vehicle that calls for Dexron II ... Dexron III and Dexron VI can be used.

The III and the VI fluid can be used when a II is required.

However, a II fluid cannot be used when a III or a VI is required.

That all made sense, right?
Old 04-21-2017, 03:46 PM

Thanks all. I would have used the Dexron ATF but since the dealer did a flush a year or two ago and used the referenced Nissan Power Steering Fluid, I wanted to stick with that to top it off.

I wanted to let everyone know, especially in case someone finds this in a search down the line, that I contacted Nissan and their tech support replied that the Nissan Power Steering fluid with my referenced PN is in fact backwards compatible to older Nissans such as my 1995.

Thanks again folks.

Last edited by Will92; 04-21-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:49 AM

^^^ Based on the general/overall back-compatibility I'd be pretty confident that the Nissan fluid is a Dexron VI.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:22 PM

Ahhhh... so just rebranded Dexron VI? Thanks. That would probably make sense. I was thinking all along the Nissan Power Steering Fluid was dedicated for power steering after the 4th generation Maxima and perhaps something different than Dexron. It is red in color so I think you are right! A Dexron VI would be considered "equivalent" then to the specified Dexron II.