4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

rubber sleeve inside coil spring torn

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 09:12 PM

rubber sleeve inside coil spring torn

Hi all:

So when I change my oil, I turn the wheels all the way to the left to better access the oil filter. I noticed this time that the rubber accordion looking sleeve surrounding the strut and inside the coil spring is torn. Is this a critical item to repair? Does this keep dirt and water out of the strut?
Old 04-30-2017, 04:24 AM

The strut boot is there to protect the the strut shaft from water and dirt.

How old are your struts? Are you using OEM strut boots or aftermarket?
Old 04-30-2017, 08:46 AM

Thanks CS_AR:

everything is Nissan OEM, factory original, car has 68k miles. I routinely hose down the wheel wells when I wash the car so wonder now what that has done to the struts since you say they the boots are to protect against water. I realized I should also check the driver side too. I suppose the entire assembly needs to be removed to slip these boots over the struts, right?
Old 04-30-2017, 09:21 AM

How do the struts feel? If they ride ok, don't worry about it. The original struts and rubber boots are 20 years old anyway. How bid is the tearing on the boot?

But replacing only the boots themselves isn't worth it. They aren't 100% necessary, either. And by the time it actually matters, it'll be time to replace the struts anyway, and if you get quick struts, they're easy to replace and include new boots and new everything and already assembled
Old 04-30-2017, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Will92
Thanks CS_AR:

everything is Nissan OEM, factory original, car has 68k miles. I routinely hose down the wheel wells when I wash the car so wonder now what that has done to the struts since you say they the boots are to protect against water. I realized I should also check the driver side too. I suppose the entire assembly needs to be removed to slip these boots over the struts, right?
Such low miles.. Its a shame the rubber parts just break down over the years. I'm sure your car must be in excellent shape.

I would say the other boots would be due for changing sooner than later. If one goes, the others usually follow. I've learned the only boots that really fit like OEM are actual OEM. Unfortunately, it is not a small job to replace the boot as the strut must be removed from the spring mounting assembly. You would need to rent/borrow a spring compression tool from a parts store.

OEM boots list for $23 and can usually be found in the $18 price range at online parts stores like the one below.

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/part...050-38u01.html

Recently I found there is a boot from a company named Febest that looks to me like the same boot as OEM. Though the price is almost the same as OEM.

Amazon Amazon

https://www.febest.us/front-shock-ab...t-nshb-t30f-en

The thing you get into when removing the strut to replace the boot, is finding the strut mount and bearing also need to be replaced. So you never know what you will get into once you start taking apart old parts that are made from rubber and plastic.

How are the struts performing after all of these years? Based on age alone, you may want to consider replacing struts, bearings, mounts, and other items as part of the strut assembly once you get started. I would find it hard to only replace only the boots after going to the effort to tear it all apart.

Many of us on here have replaced struts and related parts. So I'm sure you will lots of suggestions in this area.