4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Gasoline Fill Area Grommet Reinstall Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 03:05 PM

Gasoline Fill Area Grommet Reinstall Help!

Hey Gang,

I tried searching but found nothing on replacing the rubber grommet that holds the gasoline fill neck to the car body. And they don't mention this.

Is there a trick? Like disconnecting the other end from the tank and seating the grommet and then reattach to the tank?

The car has so much rattling and clanking on rough roads and I'm sure this is one area contributing to the "Orchestra".

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-02-2017, 05:15 PM

That fuel filler tube is another fairly new aftermarket part I swiped at the JY. That tube just hangs from the grommet and slides into the gas tank.

First remove the plastic shield covering the tube inside the left rear wheel well. Next try loosening the clamp on the end that slides into the tank. After that wiggle the tube around to get the upper end properly fit into the grommet.

Here are some earlier posts I made regarding the filler tube.

Originally Posted by jholley
My filler tube is rusted away so I searched a local JY here in Western MA last Saturday. The first four A32s I checked had heavily rusted tubes just like mine. The last maxima I checked had this fairly new filler tube

I paid only $20 for that tube and $25 for a trunk lid.

When my fuel tank gets down to 1/4 I'll install that filler tube. It's almost new but I'll coat it anyways to last the life of my 1998 maxima.

When installing that tube the upper grommet has to be seated so it lines on the outer edge of the quarter panel. The rain getting behind the gas lid will drip into the left quarter panel if the grommet isn't seated on the outer edge. I'm speaking from experience .
I also purchased a new grommet for that tube. This diagram has the Nissan PNs.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:14 PM

Thank you!!!

Your post validates what I suspected.... It's easier to get everything lined up and installed when it's free of the tank!

Thanks for the diagram, that gives me an idea on what's entailed and shouldn't really take too long or be complicated!

Extra Kudos for the 1/4 tank or less tip!

I appreciate the BP Medication! LOL My BP surely would have gone up trying to avoid this!

Now I know!