4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Really want to save this car but dont know where to start

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 02:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Really want to save this car but dont know where to start

1999 auto, 168k miles has developed a hesitation/almost stall, sometimes stall when coming from a dead stop. It'll rev freely in neutral at the stop but under any kind of load the engine nearly turns off and I have to feather the gas very delicately to get it to go again. Sometimes when taking a turn or even curve in the road it bucks and wants to die for a brief moment and very sometimes it'll buck while going straight for no reason at all.

I dont know if this is a fuel filter or pump, maf, spark and I dont have the means to check it out one by one.

CEL has been on for a couple years for something I dont recall (rear bank something something?) that hasnt seemed to cause any issues.

Car has problems filling up the gas tank recently, acts like its full when on empty and needs to be manually held the whole fill, I dont know if its related.

then i have to figure out if i can get the rusted out radiator support fixed

Last edited by dotmichael; 05-04-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:25 PM

Lately, there has been alot of stalling going on.. I have to say its your coils, injectors or spark plugs that is causing the stalling. I had the same issue and it would stall from a dead stop, ended up being the coils and replaced all 6 with New Hitachi coils. No problems at all after a year..
Old 05-04-2017, 10:58 PM

I'd start with getting the CEL codes read for free at Auto Zone or from a friend with a reader.

MAF sensor, Plugs and/or Coil Packs, TPS, and/or many more possibilities. Start with the code(s).