Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   95 maxima will not start after it gets warm (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/698106-95-maxima-will-not-start-after-gets-warm.html)

Trellyboy 05-25-2017 03:15 PM

95 maxima will not start after it gets warm

I have a 95 maxima wit the 3.0 I changed all sensors and she will start up and run but once I stop somewhere and cut it up it will not start

Rit 05-25-2017 03:54 PM

need help - what do you mean by "cut it up" ?

Trellyboy 05-25-2017 03:58 PM

My fault when I cut it off I can ride all day but soon I stop and turn the car off it will not start up till about 45 to 50 mins and then it won't start on the first turn

emilianonp 01-24-2019 09:00 AM

I have the same problem..
Did you find a solution? let me know please
Thank you

JvG 01-24-2019 10:29 AM

The original poster used strange terms.

Please describe YOUR problem , in your own words.

Jack Sh!t 01-24-2019 05:22 PM

Possibly leaking fuel injectors or a bad fuel pressure regulator. My Maxima wouldn't turn over with one leaking fuel injector when it was hot unless I kept cranking it while giving it a little gas.

CS_AR 01-25-2019 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jack Sh!t (Post 9193730)
Possibly leaking fuel injectors or a bad fuel pressure regulator. My Maxima wouldn't turn over with one leaking fuel injector when it was hot unless I kept cranking it while giving it a little gas.

I've experienced a condition like with two leaking injectors. Basically the leaking injectors o-rings let fuel from the pressurized fuel system drain into cylinders when the engine has been shut off. Too much fuel leads to a flooding condition. The only I could get mine to start in this situation was to hold the accelerator to the floor (at WOT) to let the most air enter the intake to clear the flood.

This may have been mentioned before, but an Engine Coolant Temp Sensor (ECTS) could be failing and giving the ECU an incorrect temperature for a warm engine. It may be defaulting to a cold engine reading that would setting up a "rich mix" condition that is incorrect for starting a warm engine. A failing ECTS has been known to contribute to some hard to start conditions.

max ride 41 01-27-2019 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by CS_AR (Post 9193763)
I've experienced a condition like with two leaking injectors. Basically the leaking injectors o-rings let fuel from the pressurized fuel system drain into cylinders when the engine has been shut off. Too much fuel leads to a flooding condition. The only I could get mine to start in this situation was to hold the accelerator to the floor (at WOT) to let the most air enter the intake to clear the flood.

This may have been mentioned before, but an Engine Coolant Temp Sensor (ECTS) could be failing and giving the ECU an incorrect temperature for a warm engine. It may be defaulting to a cold engine reading that would setting up a "rich mix" condition that is incorrect for starting a warm engine. A failing ECTS has been known to contribute to some hard to start conditions.

shouldn't it throw a code for that sensor though? i've been having problems with my max stalling after warming up and someone suggested this sensor before.

JvG 01-27-2019 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by max ride 41 (Post 9193891)
shouldn't it throw a code for that sensor though? i've been having problems with my max stalling after warming up and someone suggested this sensor before.

Sometimes sensors fail without setting codes.

That sensor could be removed, then tested with a vom, a meat thermometer, and a pan of water which is gradually heating on the stove.

Look this method up on you tube.

Jack Sh!t 01-27-2019 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by max ride 41 (Post 9193891)

You will only get a code from this sensor if there is bad connection to the sensor or no connection. The ECU doesn't know if it is reading a wrong temp for this particular sensor.

The Wizard 01-27-2019 08:39 PM

My money is on a bad ECTS or FPR. I've seen both prohibit a car from starting after it's been driven a bit.

max ride 41 01-28-2019 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard (Post 9193947)
My money is on a bad ECTS or FPR. I've seen both prohibit a car from starting after it's been driven a bit.

fpr is new, will a bad ects cause gas smell? i mean, i guess that would make sense being as that it makes the engine think its cold when it's warmed up.

JvG 01-28-2019 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by max ride 41 (Post 9193978)
fpr is new, will a bad ects cause gas smell? i mean, i guess that would make sense being as that it makes the engine think its cold when it's warmed up.

No, it controls air flow.
A defective one leads to stalling. Due to insuffienct air flow. The computer will reduce the amount of fuel injected.

DennisMik 01-28-2019 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by JvG (Post 9193994)
No, it controls air flow.
A defective one leads to stalling. Due to insuffienct air flow. The computer will reduce the amount of fuel injected.

Gotta disagree with you. The ECTS reports temperature to the ECU. The ECU adjusts the timing of the fuel injectors accordingly to increase or decrease the amount of fuel. Nothing controls air flow except the throttle plate and the IACV.

The MAF could be a player in this.

To the op - the next time the car won't start, unplug the MAF and see if the car will start.

JvG 01-28-2019 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik (Post 9194006)
Gotta disagree with you. The ECTS reports temperature to the ECU. The ECU adjusts the timing of the fuel injectors accordingly to increase or decrease the amount of fuel. Nothing controls air flow except the throttle plate and the IACV.

The MAF could be a player in this.

To the op - the next time the car won't start, unplug the MAF and see if the car will start.

Fair enough. I had confused this with the iacv.

​​​​​