4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Water draining from trunk tail light

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 05:55 PM

Water draining from trunk tail light

Heavy rains the last few days and when I opened the trunk water came out of the tail lights.

How does the water get in? I am assuming the water runs in from the seal around the light. But looking at the housing it seems to be semi watertight on the sides.

I tried to seal it with butyl tape but was not successful.

Wondering if the spoiler is leaking and water is draining down the inside of the trunk.

Any suggestions? Looking in the rear seat I did not see any drips from the spoiler bolts.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:57 AM

Do you have water INSIDE the tail light? Usually the water come in between the backside of the tail light housing and the car body. In this situation, you have to remove the tail light assembly and put fresh sealer around it. The original sealer has reached its age limit.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:28 PM

Yes, it is inside the tail light. The seal between the assembly and body is good. No water running down the trunk.

The water is getting beyond the rubber seal on the outside and must be pooling inside the section between the rubber outside seal and the butyl tape seal. And then somehow entering the light assembly.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:20 PM

Semi fixed. The water is not leaking past the butyl seal but is leaking past the rubber seal on the housing. It can then travel inside the trunk and is supposed to drain out of the drain holes on the bottom lip of the trunk.

My driveway is slanted in both directions. So anyway I park the car is angled.

The blue square is where the water would drain when the trunk is opened. The red square with the hole is the drain hole on the passenger side. The empty red square is where I added another drain hole. Notice how if the car is parked slanted water will be pooled waiting to pour out when you open the trunk.

I added one of both sides. No more water when opening the trunk.

Last edited by allmazda; 05-29-2017 at 03:25 PM.