4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

strong gas smell in garage after driving - evap canister?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 04:21 PM

strong gas smell in garage after driving - evap canister?

Hi gang:

I've been getting a strong smell of gas in the garage after parking my 95 with 67k miles. Sometimes I even get a whiff of gas outside when I get out of the car after driving it.

I had the car in for a free tire rotation at the dealer and had the mechanic look at the system. He said there weren't any diagnostics to perform as the CEL light was not on. He looked at all the fuel lines carefully and didn't spot any leaks. They said they could get an OEM one (no third party choices) but they run like $450 USD. Should I take it to another dealer for inspection? I searched the forum and could only find problems with evap canisters related to error codes. Does the charcoal eventually get saturated to the point of being ineffective?

Thanks for any input.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:59 PM

$450 USD!?!?!?!?!? Was the guy wearing a mask and holding a gun when he said that? Take the car somewhere else. You can buy the part for under $40 (part # 14950-56U17) and it is not that hard to install, a half hour if the car is on a lift.

Link to part:
http://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts...odel=&Filter=()

The EVAP canister should not become saturated. The charcoal does absorb fumes when the engine is turned off, but when the engine is running, the fumes are sucked out of the canister.

If you had a bad EVAP Canister Purge Valve or a bad EVAP Canister Purge Bypass Valve, I think liquid gas could get into the canister

Do you live in a cold climate where the roads are salted in winter? If so, you may have a rusted out filler tube between the gas tank and the gas cap.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:36 AM

I know the fuel lines were checked but take a real good look at the rubber lines on either end of the Fuel rail on the intake manifold , the only fuel leak I have had in 22 years on my max was both rubber hoses at separate times in the last 5 years. both times it was a slight seepage there that let off a strong gas odor but after a minute or 2 it would evaporate off . need to look at those right after shutting down the engine.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:36 AM

Thanks fellows:

I will definitely take a good look at those lines Flynir.

DennisMik...Thanks for the link. At first I thought this was maybe for the "newer" rectangular style and they mentioned I had the older coffee can looking system. I cannot believe this is listed for under $40 as they said there was no availability of the part in US and would have to order from Japan. I have had always had good service there so have to hope this was an oversight so will go in there with this part number. I've been thinking about this and am still puzzled. As you said, it should not be saturated but even if it was, how would the fumes get out of a sealed system? In regards to your road salt question, I'm in Colorado and although salt is used here, I rarely drive it in winter conditions and the few times I have, it is washed as quickly as possible. The car is in spectacular condition in terms of no rust etc. so doubt this is the issue. The mechanic did say something about a discharge vent or something on the driver side of the door and that this might explain the smell I get when I get out of the car outside of the garage. Perhaps this was why he thought the canister could be saturated leading to venting??
Old 06-10-2017, 11:04 AM

I think the dealer was being honest. Is your car federal or California emissions?

Vapor Canister.
all, to 4/97; California.
1495056U17
$52.78
$39.59

11 Vapor Canister. . Exc.Calif
Federal.
1495040U1B
$350.48
$267.24

Not sure what the difference is between the two?

I would check the vent hose from the fuel tank. It is number 11 in the diagram.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:05 PM

The difference between the 2 part numbers is the physical shape and the location.

14950-56U17 is rectangular in shape and is mounted behind the driver side rear wheel.
14950-40U1B is a round canister shape and is mounted sort of under the battery.

However, part # 14950-40U1B is marked as a discontinued item. The original part # for this round canister is 14950-40U00 and is marked as still available with an on-line price of $39.59. It does bear more investigation.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:04 AM

Did they check fuel filler neck, #5? It was the notorious/recall part. Rust at the harness which is used to hold the plastic splash guard. You have to open the guard to inspect it, 4 plastic retainers. It is right behind the 2 upper ones.

Last edited by saig; 06-15-2017 at 02:06 AM.