4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Operation abort: EGR is not getting replaced. Will it live?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 02:43 PM

Operation abort: EGR is not getting replaced. Will it live?

If anyone remembers I changed my valve covers front and rear earlier this year. However, the part of getting to the EGR valve/tube cleaned in just didn't have time and I was already wrecked from doing the whole job.

Well, while I was replacing my fuel filter and condenser the other day, I seen where I could remove 2 coolant hoses, the TB, and remove the bolts to the EGR valve. I already had a new one in hand. I removed 2 bolts, then the sensor bolt. They were both rusted up. When I got down to the main big bolt, all I had was a locking jaw grip plier. With all my might I tried to remove it, Seafoam it, etc. wouldn't budge. Kinda kept slipping and the thought of putting a rag/paper towel around it didn't cross until after I put it back together. Then I would have had to twist up, and not down...which was a weird angle to do so.

In addition, a flashlight in my intake showed some serious gunk. I took a bottle brush around it and nothing came off. Also the EGR tube I didn't realize was separate from the valve itself. I would have had to maneuver again to get it off.

So I just gave up. I didn't have to do emissions test this year, so it's not urgent. I'm considering returning the part and just leaving as is. At 340,000 miles, is it even worth it to change it out?
Old 06-13-2017, 10:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have been driving with a bad EGR system for a while. performance is very poor.. if you have an unsteady idle, it would be a good idea to do the fuel injectors and EGR at the same time as you should have plenty of room to get at both with the upper intake manifold off the engine.