4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Front caliper question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 06:29 PM

Front caliper question

Im looking at the duralast front calipers ..i can get them all around with brackets for $200 from autozone....the only thing that bothers me is that it shows 2 pistons instead of 1 piston like the original.. Has anyone tried these.is it really 2 pistons or is it just an example picture they are showing... If there is 2 does it make a negative difference?
Old 06-24-2017, 07:18 PM

Those do not look like any 4th gen calipers that I've seen so far. The picture could just be for illustration purposes.

In fact, we just went to a lot of work to convert the 99 SE 5-MT to use dual piston G35 brakes. All I can say is a G35 brake conversion is not a job for the faint of heart.

Name:  image000000.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  283.8 KB

Last edited by CS_AR; 06-24-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
Those do not look like any 4th gen calipers that I've seen so far. The picture could just be for illustration purposes.

In fact, we just went to a lot of work to convert the 99 SE 5-MT to use dual piston G35 brakes. All I can say is a G35 brake conversion is not a job for the faint of heart.

alright thanks ill have to order it and see, if not ill just return . not looking for any extra work, already replacing LCA, inner and outer tie rods , pads , rotors' calipers ...and thinking of just swapping axles while im in there too ( seems to be a circle of sprayed grease around the inner boot of the axles on both sides, but i see no sign of tears on either axle boot )
nice mod by the way looks clean
Old 06-24-2017, 09:58 PM

If you're doing the whole shebang.... Look at the Powerstop Z23 Rotor and Pad kit. I did all four corners and man, my 99 Maxima with 206K stops significantly better than it ever has before. Original calipers still on the front too!

If you're doing new/rebuilt calipers, it's time to replace the brake hoses too.

Good luck! Been there... Done that!

Also, please report back on those calipers. I'd love to hear your results if they are in fact, dual pistons. I doubt it though. Many inside pads have clips that center in a single piston.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:20 AM

That's just a stock photo. The calipers you will receive will only have one piston and will be the correct ones for your car.

But I suggest Napa Eclipse or Cardone Ultra for the anti-rust coating
Old 06-25-2017, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by maximaxi
That's just a stock photo. The calipers you will receive will only have one piston and will be the correct ones for your car.

Good call! GREAT value for sure. When I do mine, that's most likely what they will be!
Old 06-26-2017, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by maximaxi

thanks ill check those out.....does napa by any chance have any promos or online codes
Old 06-27-2017, 03:09 AM

Looking at the napa website i see 10 options for calipers, all are remanufactured .. Not sure which to buy . they range from $30-$75.