4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

97 Overheating. $20 fix or blown HG?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
​​​​​​
The air is coming in from the leak in the radiator.

The compression numbers look good, and within specs.

You have lower compression between two adjacent cylinders in front, with similar compression readings. This could be valves which need adjustment, random chance, or a slight head gasket leak.

One thing I'm concerned about. The cooling lines were gunked up. Also the thermostat was gunk ed up. There was gunk in the radiator too.

Is the gunk the same substance? Same color?

I'm still thinking stop leak. I hope it was there to fix the radiator, not the head gasket.

All in all though, this is encouraging.

Naturally, you should fix the brakes asap.

Do you live in an area where road salt is used?
Good to know.

Yes the gunk was the same substance, however, I believe I've removed it all with multiple back flushes.

Yeah ik

I do yes. Road salt is used (when it snows lol)
Old 07-02-2017, 09:12 PM
JvG

It's good that the gunk was removed. But the mystery is why it's there in the first place.

If it's for the radiator, fine. But if for head gasket, time will tell.

Did the electrodes look oily? I asked you to post photos of the spark plugs for a very specific reason. Because the plugs tell an experienced person a lot about what is going on inside the engine.

It would have been interesting to compare the plugs from the two lower reading cylinders again those which read higher.

They could have shown evidence of consuming coolant. If so, they would have been whiter than the others. On the other hand, if they were blacker and oilier than the others, that would indicate oil burning in those cylinders.

Please follow up on the very specific questions we ask you. We ask them for a reason. That reason is to help YOU, not us.