4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

1998 maxima oil on the engine issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 01:44 PM

1998 maxima oil on the engine issue

My mechanic told me that I have a number of leaks in the engine...they ran a dye test and discovered that. Other than that the engine is fine and the car runs fine...its not leaking oil to the ground. But when the engine gets hot it starts to smoke a bit and you can see some it coming from under the hood you can also smell burnt oil.

My mechanic said it would cost about 2k to replace the points where the leaks are coming from...so far I've been just living with it since i can't afford that but is there some kind of sealant or something I could use? anyone else have this issue?
Old 06-29-2017, 01:46 PM

Tell us where the leaks are. Be more specific.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:09 PM
Administrator

The oil isn't hitting the ground because it's hitting the hot exhaust components which is causing the burning/smoking. More than likely it's your valve covers. Start there. Can easily be replaced in 4 hours time if you're mechanically inclined and have the basic set of metric sockets. Cost of valve cover gaskets will be under $40. Just be sure to follow the Factory Service Manual (FSM) for the torque sequence and torque spec (in-lbs, not ft lbs) as those bolts break easy.

FSM in signature.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
The oil isn't hitting the ground because it's hitting the hot exhaust components which is causing the burning/smoking. More than likely it's your valve covers. Start there. Can easily be replaced in 4 hours time if you're mechanically inclined and have the basic set of metric sockets. Cost of valve cover gaskets will be under $40. Just be sure to follow the Factory Service Manual (FSM) for the torque sequence and torque spec (in-lbs, not ft lbs) as those bolts break easy.

FSM in signature.
thats EXACTLY WHAT HE SAID. The valve covers... and no unfortunately I'm not mechanically inclined and the 4 hour time frame seems to justify the high price of fixing it for a mechanic.... is there an alternative..some kind of stop leak fluid for the engine? you know something dummies can do.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:18 PM

There is no quick fix for this. $2000 is high for changing valve cover gaskets. Watch some you tube vids to get an idea of what is involved.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:24 PM

You can get a new engine for under 2K.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by hellified
thats EXACTLY WHAT HE SAID. The valve covers... and no unfortunately I'm not mechanically inclined and the 4 hour time frame seems to justify the high price of fixing it for a mechanic.... is there an alternative..some kind of stop leak fluid for the engine? you know something dummies can do.
If ALL the mechanic was going to do was valve covers for 2k, then run away as fast as you can. Labor to replace valve cover gaskets should be in the ballpark of $300 plus cost of materials. Say $350 total.

There is no magic stop leak solution that's proven to work. Time to shop around for a more honest mechanic.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by PH98I30
You can get a new engine for under 2K.
You can buy one or even two Maximas now for 2k....
Old 06-29-2017, 04:36 PM

So reading your thread and i see you have a big oil leak from what it sounds like you might have oil leaking on the exhaust smoke coming up. Oil leaking out of the engine valve covers and your now smoking up everywhere. Holy mother of gods this job that's gonna cost you 2k. This is a total rip off. Rear valve cover job can start from 280-350$ it also depends each mechanic will vary with the price. The front valve covers 150-180$ varys on shop and mechanics but $2k that's a highway robbery. If you were here in the dmv i would do it for a reasonable price.

Last edited by vqmaxman; 06-29-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:41 PM

Thanx VERY MUCH for the ideas and heads up!!! I'll start looking around now and looking up the valve covers
Old 06-29-2017, 08:22 PM

If you have a pic on the leak that would be better. To make an accurate pinpoint of the problem. If your in the Dmv area or close you can pm me. Good luck.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:37 PM

Haha $2k for valve cover replacement is a mechanic's ripoff dream. (might as well replace the whole engine for $2k with new seals and whatnot if that's the case)

Replace both valve covers and it'll run you $350-no more than $550 for sure.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:25 AM

The area of the smoke comes from the right rear side..no other area smokes up.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:41 PM

The rear valve covers leak from the back where the arrows pointing towards. Powersteering also is on that sameside.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Where your arrow is pointing Nissan requires RTV to be placed (in the corner of the valve cover), so I'm not surprised that it's leaking there. Once you review the FSM and take it apart, it will all make sense.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Where your arrow is pointing Nissan requires RTV to be placed (in the corner of the valve cover), so I'm not surprised that it's leaking there. Once you review the FSM and take it apart, it will all make sense.
very cool..thanx so much
Old 07-01-2017, 09:53 PM

Since your gonna get some work done to your car. If it's you or whomever make sure you take the car to the wash and get it cleaned up back there and check for anything else like powersteering pump leaks ect. Goodluck on the job.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by vqmaxman
Since your gonna get some work done to your car. If it's you or whomever make sure you take the car to the wash and get it cleaned up back there and check for anything else like powersteering pump leaks ect. Goodluck on the job.
thans for the reminder...the mechanic ran a dye test for the oil but I don't remember him saying anything about power steering leaks and there's no stains or puddles underneath the car..

Also if I get the valve cover replaced would that do something about the check engine light?? I've had the EGR valve replaced and a few other repairs but the light is still on.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:44 PM
JvG

The valve cover will not fix a check engine light.

Have you considered saving a lot of money by learning how to do this your self?

It would be a good learning experience.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:11 PM

Where are you located? We may have members in your area that can help.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
The valve cover will not fix a check engine light.

Have you considered saving a lot of money by learning how to do this your self?

It would be a good learning experience.
it would be if I was even a little bit mechanically inclined..
Old 07-02-2017, 07:44 PM
JvG

Just how do you think the rest of us started working on cars? We were not born with a wrench in our hand, and the knowledge of how to do it.

We started by reading about how to do things, tgen trying them. All the knowledge you will need is right here on this forum.

You tube has many car repair clips. Including 4th gen maximas. Watch someone fix your issue, then do it your self. All you need is a smart phone or laptop with wifi.