4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

R34 Headlight - Fogging Over

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 07:15 PM

R34 Headlight - Fogging Over

Has anyone had problems with their R34 headlights fogging over?

Last weekend I installed a new set that I've had on the shelf for a few months. It rained late yesterday and I didn't drive the car until late today. When I returned home after a 15 minute drive I found the passenger side light fogging over. Droplets of water are collecting inside the lens. It is hot today and the plastic light housings feel soft from the heat -- almost like they are going to melt. No argument about the poor quality.

I wondering if any other members with R34 lights experienced fogging.

I may have found a combination of bulbs that produce decent light. I have no complaints about the light.

Though if the lens continue to fog over, the next home for these R34 lights may be the city dump.

Last edited by CS_AR; 07-15-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:49 PM

They are not R34 lights. They are cheap plastic aftermarket headlights. And that's what happens to cheap plastic headlights.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:05 AM

Cheap they may be.....

But if it's only happening on one side, it's not necessarily because it's cheap. More like a leak and steam affecting the plastic differently than dry heat.

Remove it and see how water is getting in and seal it!
Old 07-17-2017, 11:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

They need to be separated and resealed when you buy cheap aftermarket headlights. I've been there with mine
Old 07-18-2017, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by 98sleeper
They need to be separated and resealed when you buy cheap aftermarket headlights. I've been there with mine
QUOTE=KP11520;9152408]Cheap they may be.....

But if it's only happening on one side, it's not necessarily because it's cheap. More like a leak and steam affecting the plastic differently than dry heat.

Remove it and see how water is getting in and seal it![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to heat them up, separate, and reseal. I remember that passenger side light looking like the seal was malformed when I installed it. I bet that's where the problem started.

I've seen some youtube videos on how to reseal plastic headlights that I can follow to repair this set.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:42 AM

The R34s I installed 4 years were also fogging up and sometimes collecting water. As already suggested I had to separate and reseal them to keep them dry for the last 3.5 years.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by jholley
The R34s I installed 4 years were also fogging up and sometimes collecting water. As already suggested I had to separate and reseal them to keep them dry for the last 3.5 years.
Thank you JH. Is there any particular sealer that I should use?
Old 07-18-2017, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by CS_AR

This is a good option, especially for someone as thorough as you. After you bake your headlights and pull them apart, you clean all the old stuff off and replace it with this. Stretch it out and roll it back and forth in your hands to get it the desired diameter to fill the union without leaving hollows or too much oozing out. Bake and serve HOT! LOL

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/ac...utyl-glue.html

While you're in there..... Now's the time to make those horrible R34's put out some real light! Projector Retrofit perhaps?

In the past, most guys used the JB Weld with a lot of care to mount the projectors in the shrouds properly. In the newer retrofits (Some, not all) the cutting is way less and hardware is used. ChrisMan287 has a lot of experience and might be able to let you know whether JB Weld or Hardware is the best way to go. Retrofitsource.com had a big sale July 4th. You'd have probably spent enough to get 25% off.

And yes, I'd consider doing this. I already have everything downstairs to do it already. After I get my suspension quiet and a new front bumper cover (used in Sterling Mist) I HATE the poor night visibility from the 4th Gens.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by KP11520; 07-18-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by KP11520
While you're in there..... Now's the time to make those horrible R34's put out some real light! Projector Retrofit perhaps?
I may have found a combination of bulbs at NAPA that gives ok lighting. The brights really light up the road. The low beam are for distance. I wanted to run them a while and compare to the stock lights before posting about them.

Actually, the wonky light pattern that favors the roadside, is ok since I'm driving around people walking dogs often. I can see them better now.

I'll post about the bulbs when I'm home.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:23 PM

Hopefully those bulbs won't blind oncoming traffic. Usually, the element is in a slightly different position and it presents like the brights are on.

Well it does that with the standard headlights anyway. Have one of your kids drive at you when you are in one of the other cars to check.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:17 PM

Here's the bulb combination I'm running from NAPA

NAPA LongLITE

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/LMABP9006LGL2

-- and -- Hella Optilux Extreme White XB HB3/9005.

Note: These are too bright to even consider turning them up on a highway. These are rated for rural off road use.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7358906

Last edited by CS_AR; 07-18-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:18 PM

I used Permatex clear RTV sealant. It's a flexible silicone based sealant that has done the job of keeping the R34s dry. IIRC I purchased it at Advance Auto.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by jholley
I used Permatex clear RTV sealant. It's a flexible silicone based sealant that has done the job of keeping the R34s dry. IIRC I purchased it at Advance Auto.
I have a new tube in the workshop. I use it to seal the clear turn signal lights.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:04 PM

I have a new tube in the workshop. I use it to seal the clear turn signal lights.
Use LOTS of clamps all the way around the perimeter while it sets.