4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Horn suggestions?

Old 08-05-2017, 12:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Horn suggestions?

Long story short i want to replace my horn with something better. I have only one of the two OEM horns in my car, so when i honk it, it sounds puny and pathetic. Its lame AF, theres no way anyone can take it seriously. Like if im using my horn, im using it for a reason, so id like it to be nice and loud and beefy sounding and not like a little whiney whisper. Obviously grabbing another horn would be the most common sense solution - but i was never too thrilled with that either when i had that in my car.

Anyone have suggestions on what horns i could drop in with zero to minimal messing around? Ive read the 350z horns drop right in and sound good - I cant find anything on youtube that i can hear the horn for myself though - every video is some dude with a train horn making people **** themselves at drivethrus, tunnels, at railroad crossings, etc.

If anyone has some suggestions im all ears. If you can link me a video or soundclip of the horn in action that would be golden and Id be very grateful. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:47 PM

Several years ago I installed a pair of WoLo (High and Low Note) horns on the Infiniti.

The original horns sounded like a motorcycle from the 1960s. Beep Beep.

Now it sounds like a Buick Roadmaster from the early 1990s. Not quite a Cadillac sound but more than a Chevy.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:50 AM

I have been using Hella horns on my car. They are hella loud at 115 decibels.

Depending on the brand of horn you buy, you may have to add a ground wire on the horn. Nissan horns only have a single wire for 12 volts. Other horns need a second wire, ground, to work. The WoLo horns and Hella horns need the 2nd wire.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:41 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by CS_AR
Several years ago I installed a pair of WoLo (High and Low Note) horns on the Infiniti.

The original horns sounded like a motorcycle from the 1960s. Beep Beep.

Now it sounds like a Buick Roadmaster from the early 1990s. Not quite a Cadillac sound but more than a Chevy.

wow they look like the 350z horns.

Where do you pick those up?
Old 08-07-2017, 03:50 AM

i like the stock horns on my 95, loud enough for me. dennis and craig needed the louder horns cause they can't hear the stock horns anymore. ( old )
Old 08-07-2017, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by krismax
wow they look like the 350z horns.

Where do you pick those up?
I got them at Advance Auto. The NAPA store also sells them

Be sure to get the "High and Low" note versions. Hella makes dual trumpet set that I like also. I had to replace the horn relay a couple of months later. I think the extra current from two horns pushed the old relay over the edge. I've been running those horns for over 5 years.

Originally Posted by max ride 41
i like the stock horns on my 95, loud enough for me. dennis and craig needed the louder horns cause they can't hear the stock horns anymore. ( old )
Its the other drivers that can't hear when they are wearing ear buds..
Old 08-07-2017, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
Keep laughing at us. Your day is coming.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
I had to replace the horn relay a couple of months later. I think the extra current from two horns pushed the old relay over the edge. I've been running those horns for over 5 years.
That's just an unfortunate happening. The Maxima horn circuit was designed for 3 horns, 2 in front of the radiator and 1 next to the engine by the alternator. In my dozen years of using the Hella horns, I haven't had problem one. In fact, I was using 4 horns for about a year and again, no problems.

The Wolo horns have a deeper tone than the original Hella red series horns. But now Hella has a yellow series horn that sounds more like the Wolo.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks guys, really appreciate the responses. Looked up some youtube vids and they seem legit. Do you guys happen to have model numbers/variants or does it not matter really?
Old 08-09-2017, 09:12 PM

WoLo has a lot of different models, but the ones Craig has is probably the best all around deal for price and sound. IIRC, their website has sound clips of their horns.

Hella is more expensive and not sold by as many places. Hella used to be the stock horn on Mercedes so they are trying to live up to a reputation. I can't complain about them lasting. The only negative thing is their damn color. I bought the red color a dozen years ago, because that was all they had. And I did not like seeing the red through the grill of the car. So I painted them flat black. Now they have a brilliant yellow color. woof.

Both brands are bigger than the Nissan horn, so you will have to improvise a bit for mounting them. I ended up making my own brackets.

Listen to the sound clips on youtube or where ever and go with what you think is best. You won't go wrong.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Keep laughing at us. Your day is coming.
i'm already there dude, 53 and counting......

Search this Thread