4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How cure fault in EVAP sensor ground wire to ECM

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 01:28 PM

How cure fault in EVAP sensor ground wire to ECM

On my 1998 Maxima there is a fault (no continuity) in the ground wire leading from the Evap Control System Pressure Sensor to terminal #43 on the ECM.

In one of several tests I opened a bare section of the ground wire near the sensor, attached one probe of a "good" multimeter to the bare wire, and probed the wire at the end of the harness where the wire enters the ECM at terminal 43. No continuity.

I also probed from the bare spot on that wire to a local good ground, and there was no continuity.

I have tried following the wire from sensor to ECM but it's not possible to see most of the wire.

I have found a good ground point in the B-pillar... But...

Logic tells me that Nissan would not have run a "special" ground wire from the sensor all the way to a designated terminal on the ECM if any nearby ground point were OK.

Logic tells me that I need to patch a separate ground wire from the sensor up to the ECM and mate it with the wire that now enters terminal 43 on the ECM.

So: do I have to run a new ground wire from the sensor to the ECM; or will using the good ground in the B-Piller be OK?

I'm not eager to try out the B-Pillar ground and turn the car on because -- who knows? -- I might fry the ECM.

Thanks.