4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Door panel courtesy light not wotking

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 04:50 PM

Door panel courtesy light not wotking

Here’s my story. I decided to install new LED’s in the map and all courtesy lights. I began with the driver side door courtesy light and as I placed the needle nose pliers on the light it instantly went out but I had not yet removed the bulb. I installed the new LED but it would not come on. I did the same thing on the passenger side door and the LED light comes on.

Why won’t the driver side door light work? I’ve checked all fuses and they’re good, all other ourtesy lights work, even the trunk light works. I know there’s power to that outlet because I used a tool that lights up when you touch it to the metal pieces. Sorry...I Can’t remeber what that tool is called.

Remember...the pax side door courtesy light works so I swapped the fixture with the driver side and it doesn’t work. . Any help you can give would be appreciated.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by discobiscuit
I used a tool that lights up when you touch it to the metal pieces
There are probably several names for that, but the most commonly used one is simply "test light".

As for the step light in the door, you're gonna love this... you have to replace the power window switch. The electrical circuit for the light goes through the power window switch and when you pulled the bulb out, you evidently shorted the contacts with the pliers. Unfortunately the power window switch cannot handle being shorted.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:21 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by DennisMik
There are probably several names for that, but the most commonly used one is simply "test light".

As for the step light in the door, you're gonna love this... you have to replace the power window switch. The electrical circuit for the light goes through the power window switch and when you pulled the bulb out, you evidently shorted the contacts with the pliers. Unfortunately the power window switch cannot handle being shorted.

We all learn from our mistakes, and from others as well.

In the future, disconnect the battery before performing electrical work, or even near electrical contacts of any kind.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:49 PM

Thank you for your reply. I’ve ordered the part and hopefully that fixes my problem.